You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures Legal protection for games - how do you do it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
I turn novels into games

Default Legal protection for games - how do you do it?

I am making a game. Maybe my game is rubbish. But humor me here. Pretend for a moment that my game is good, and people might pay real money for it if it is done well. I have an opportunity to sell this idea and make a career out of game development. But right now I am a poor unknown. Where do I go from here? If my idea really is good, how to I stop myself being ripped off?

I have been talking with a guy who knows a lot more than me. He's a professional in the music biz, and has some experience with intellectual property. He thinks my game idea has great potential, but seriously recommends that I spend serious money (thousands of dollars) on a GOOD lawyer.

Is there any other way? How do I protect my game ideas without spending thousands on top lawyers?

Here are some more details: the thing that excites my music biz friend is not the story, but my approach. In particular:

* a certain method of game creation
* a certain look and feel
* a certain approach to dialogue
* a certain method of providing updates
* probably a few other things

This sounds Scrooge like, I know. Most of you guys work hard to produce your adventure games then generously give them away for free. But I have an opportunity here to give up my day job and become a full time game developer, on my own terms. I don't want to miss this golden opportunity. So how do I protect myself legally?

My ideal solution is to find some small games publisher that I can really trust, and let them deal with it. But business is business. Do such publishers exist? Or is my only hope to pay a ton of money to a lawyer before I even start to look in the games industry?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

All things being equal (as in, you actually have a good and professional-looking story-driven game), you might consider contacting Telltale Games. I believe they're into looking at small developers to allow them to distribute their games online via Telltale Now. I don't think they'd try and cheat you or anything, but you'd probably still need a lawyer anyway. I don't think they would provide funding or anything like that, but at least your copy protection and distribution would be taken care of for awhle. Talk to them and find out, I suppose.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
I turn novels into games

thanks