You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: Do you like first person adventure games?
Yes 14 37.84%
No 14 37.84%
Don't Mind 7 18.92%
Other - Please elaborate! 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #21
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
One of these days someone will develop that killer first person adventure and all will change. It'll be controlled like a FPS, and everything else will be like your everyday 3rd person adventure. Just think of any 3rd person game played in 1st(and tweaked/adapted for it), and you'll get the idea.
Thats Normality
Old 02-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #22
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by doroposo
I had thought of that, but I'm not sure what a graphical second person adventure would be. First person in the graphical sense usually means a view from the character's eyes, regardless of whether the game uses "I" or "You" -- so second person is kind of folded into the first person category. I love second person interactive fiction, but I'm not clear what a distinct graphical equivalent would be.
If you look back, I mentioned 2nd person games as an example of games where the player also usually plays him- or herself (well, at least to an extent that this is true of 1st person graphical games). I hadn't said a word about the graphics or the animation there yet.

And I know you weren't discouraging Toefur, by the way. Just wanted to reply to your points.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #23
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I hadn't said a word about the graphics or the animation there yet.
Ah, I misunderstood you then. Since the main subject of the thread deals with a proposed graphical game, I presumed that's what we were talking about. I shouldn't have derailed things with my offhand comment.

There's an interesting thread over at that other adventure site which brings up some good points that may be helpful to Toefur as he considers his game design. The author loves the immersiveness of the first person design, but lists a couple of things that "break the spell" and end up leaving him disappointed with an otherwise great experience.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #24

I voted "Other", because I dislike first person slideshow adventure games, but I do like first person 3D adventure games, especially if you can move around like in an FPS.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #25

I voted No. third person gives you more of a movie experience, sit back and watch the story unfold. MHO anyway
Old 03-18-2006, 05:24 AM   #26
Easily amused

First person point and click is what I love to play. Keep them coming!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #27
More slaw!!!

Thanks all for the thoughtful responses. At first I was kind of dismayed, the votes originally were very in favour of third person, and it sounded like a lot of people really wouldn't even consider a first person game. It almost brought me to deciding to go third person, but there has been some positivity here with regards to first person, and I figure I may as well take this on as a bit of a challenge! See if I can make a good enough game to be well liked...

I've been enjoying first person games a bit more lately, though, and I have noticed that a lot of non-gamer people out there enjoy the occasional first person adventure, so I think I will give it a try.

My programming skills are not capable to a degree of doing anything in the way of innovation or unique gameplay characteristics, but I hope I can make a solid game...

Old 03-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #28
Easily amused

Quote:
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses. At first I was kind of dismayed, the votes originally were very in favour of third person, and it sounded like a lot of people really wouldn't even consider a first person game. It almost brought me to deciding to go third person, but there has been some positivity here with regards to first person, and I figure I may as well take this on as a bit of a challenge! See if I can make a good enough game to be well liked...
This forum is biased towards 3rd person games. I'm sure you'd get many more adventure gamers interested in 1st person games at Gameboomers and JA.