You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan
Default Your opinion?

I would like opinions on a 2D adventure game idea of mine: In this game, you play as a adventurer in the backwaters of the Amazon river who has to fight fellow treasure hunters, use various vehicles (hot air baloons, jeeps, horses, boats, trucks, etc) and has to bribe (or kill) Bolivian and Brazilian custom officials to get in and out of those countries.
Well? what do you think?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #2

Seems nice, but how are you going to incorporate fighting and all those vehicles you are talking about in an adventure game?
Too many action sequences?
Mini games?
Cutscenes?

You might have to consider moving away from 2d and into a 3d action-adventure, a la "Beyond good and evil"
Old 02-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Do you think you're able to turn bribing and killing into a Myst-type puzzle?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
The Greater

Shoudn't be too hard to incorporate that stuff.....
Btw, all that stuff could be made into a 2D game, no prob.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #5

Yes it could be 2d, but it wouldn't be a nadventure... It would simply feature a large (?) adventure part... Could you provide us with some more info on your project?

Do you have concept art? Any non-vague ideas on the story? How is the game going to be controlled? How are you going to program it? Are you using AGS? etc...

You get the idea...
Old 02-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gnome
Yes it could be 2d, but it wouldn't be a nadventure...

Who cares. I mean, with all this cack happening even in professional games, it's not funny anymore. People just try to shoehorn their original ideas into everything they seem to remember from their ten years old favourite game..... and terribly fail. So that at the end of the day, you get all these click-thru graphic novels and murder mysteries without a mystery to be solved. And waste-of-time-titles that rely heavily on boring, pritty cutscenes because the devs were too afraid to implement something because it didn't fit the rules of a COMPLETELY different game (idea), didn't have a clue how to make a particular interesting scene interactive without relying on random button mashing or whatever. End result: Games, that are zero fun to play. Of course.

Giligan, it's your idea. Try to make a fun game out of it. Because, apparently, even most current pros can't. For whatever reason.

Last edited by samIamsad; 02-01-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #7

While I strongly dislike the idea of a game that rewards you for killing people just so you can find some treasure, the concept is one with a lot of potential. If the game has branching scenarios based on how well you deter your competitors and what methods of transportation you use it could be a lot of fun.

the gnome-
He could easily implement fighting other treasure hunters without action sequences. He never mentioned exactly what "fighting" means. It could refer to sabotaging your opponents' plans/vehicles/equipment/etc... which would fit very naturally into an adventure game.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 AM   #8
capsized.

Yeah, there's something called outside-the-box thinking that sadly not many people have mastered. I felt like replying, since this idea doesn't scream: "Tailor made for yet another crappy adventure game." like , uh, "Scoffbeard Crummyhead goes to Bollywood" or something.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
The Greater

The whole idea is more or less based on a book written by Tristen Jones called "The Incredible Voyage" so if you really want to get in depth with the story, try reading the South American part of the book. The project would be done on the Game Maker program. About the killing part, its inevitable that the main character will have to fight it out once in a while, but in South America, bribery is the only sure way to get anything.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #10

samIamsad.... try to be a bit nicer.... I was only asking some quite logical questions about Giligan's game.
And I have mastered thinking-out-of-the-box. Thank you.
Besides, I didn't state my dislike for the project, and Giligan himself characterised it as a "2d adventure"...

Just relax mate...

Scoville : I guess I agree with you.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #11

I think it sounds like a nice idea! Riding an air balloon in an adventure game could be fun
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #12
The Greater

if made, the game would be point-and-click, so I don't know how well it would be recieved by the gaming community.......
Old 02-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
tsa
Playing character

Default Story

You only have a location. By far the most important ingredient for an adventure game is a good story. If you start thinking about graphics even before you have a story you can forget it, it will never be good. So before I can give an opinion I must first see a story.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #14
The Greater

The story is still being thought up. I posted my idea on this forum to see if anyone had any thoughts about a good story, of course...........
Old 02-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
The Greater

I created a concept background, but unless I shrink the image so small you'd need a microscope to see it, there's no way to post it. If I post an attachment, will people be able to enlarge the image?

Last edited by Giligan; 02-04-2006 at 10:32 AM.