You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures My personal hell is over and the deadline for my game is passed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 04:26 AM   #1
Headbanger

Default My personal hell is over and the deadline for my game is passed

I have worked like hell in one and a half week but now it is finally over. I have barely eaten or slept during this time. I have been going on caffeine (and other lighter drugs) during the entire time. I have been coming home from school in about 3 in the night on a number of occations. I have felt incredibly dizzy in the last few days and I felt that the floor started to move when I sat in front of the computer in the end. I slept for 16 hours when I got home yesterday. I still feel a bit dizzy but things are starting to clear. Right now I am just enjoying my VERY deserved holiday. I won't do anything more, and I really mean ANYTHING more, this year.

The first thing I did after handing in the game yesterday was to run to the store and buy The Two Towers Extended Edition (I just made it to the store before they closed). I watched the movie when I woke up today. It was truly great. I felt the same thing as I felt about the first movie. The Extended Edition is the real movie. They have cut out things that adds so much more depth to the whole story. I can't understand that they cut out the scene with Boromir and Faramir from the first version. A big mistake.

I feel that my game turned out rather good. It doesn't have all the things I wanted to include but it is playable all the way and it got graphics. To do a game all by yourself as big as this is in theory impossible. But I did it. I did the script, programming, modelling, texturing and animation (although I didn't have the time to include the animation in the code). I got some help from my teachers on the programming part since that is what I know the least about (and the most boring part). I would never have been able to progam the camera system without help. But it was still me who had to place over 80 different camera angles by hand. I will work more with the game later to get it truly finished.

I took some screenshots for you to look at (they got a bit blurry but so was my vision when I took them ). Although the game doesn't look exactly as it will when it's finished I still wanted you to see some of what I have accomplished.

http://student.nackademin.com/vr02219/screenshot001.jpg

http://student.nackademin.com/vr02219/screenshot002.jpg

http://student.nackademin.com/vr02219/screenshot003.jpg
Old 12-13-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
Munior Jember

Maybe you posted this somewhere else but how does your game play? Did you make the engine yourself? I'm definatly impressed, how long did you have to do make it?
Old 12-13-2003, 01:02 PM   #3
AKA Morte

Send a message via MSN to Garyos

Great Henke! I can imagine the load off that must be!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:07 AM   #4
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Henke, congratulations!!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:08 AM   #5
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

The graphics for this game look amazing! Dare I say, better than Simon 3D in some cases!!

I have nothing but respect for you man! I can't even load up AGS and finish a screen without turning it off in frustration, so I can't even begin to imagine how long this took you.

But congratulations, that's a hell of an acheivement, and you deserve a long, loooooooong break!!

(BTW - I couldn't understand either why they took out that scene with Faramir and Boromir in Two Towers, it was an excellent scene, and it tied up the stories of both men nicely in relation to the other characters in the film! I can't wait to see the scene they cut from Return of the King with Christopher Lee in!)

(BBTW - I'm going to see King on Wednesday. I'll post some thoughts, without spoilers in case anyone would like to know how I felt the film came across. Personally, I can't see it being bad at all, and i'm confident, I'm going to come out of that cinema blubbering like a baby!)

Once again Henke, kudos!!
Old 12-14-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstead
Maybe you posted this somewhere else but how does your game play? Did you make the engine yourself? I'm definatly impressed, how long did you have to do make it?
It's an adventure game. When I think about it I haven't really explained openly exactly what the game is about. That is kind of stupid if you think about it.

The game is taking place in the 17th century. In a small swedish village to be exact, where a gruesome murder has just taken place. The only witness claims that the victim was beheaded by a troll. You play as an investigator whos task is to find the killer. You have eight different suspects and eight different endings to the game. There is a different ending every time you start the game. Anyone can be the murderer and you can never know who it is until the very end.

I made the game in Director. I don't really know exactly how much time I had to make the entire game. I think I had, in the start, a little less then a month to do the basic programming (working approximately twice a week). Then I had around two months to do the rest of the game (working twice a week at the beginning and only once a week at the end). So I had around three months working in average twice a week. But I did approximately 10% of the game in the last two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
The graphics for this game look amazing! Dare I say, better than Simon 3D in some cases!!
Even though this isn't the final graphics I would sure hope they look better then Simon 3D (even though it is really hard for me to judge how they look since I have worked with them since they only existed in my head).

Oh, and I must also thank Garyos and Marek for the encouraging words.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:26 PM   #7
Umbilicus Mundi

Congrats, Henke! Are you going to release it?

Old 12-15-2003, 01:38 AM   #8
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
The game is taking place in the 17th century. In a small swedish village to be exact, where a gruesome murder has just taken place. The only witness claims that the victim was beheaded by a troll. You play as an investigator whos task is to find the killer. You have eight different suspects and eight different endings to the game. There is a different ending every time you start the game. Anyone can be the murderer and you can never know who it is until the very end.
That sounds great! I'd love to try it out.

Really, it seems like an amazing achievment. Congrats!
Old 12-15-2003, 03:36 AM   #9
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Congrats, Henke! Are you going to release it?
Thanks, I will release it when I am completely satisfied. I am probably going to need people testing it for bugs and checking the script for grammatic errors and similair things later on before I can manage myself to release the game to the public.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #10
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
Thanks, I will release it when I am completely satisfied. I am probably going to need people testing it for bugs and checking the script for grammatic errors and similair things later on before I can manage myself to release the game to the public.
If you need help with testing or "quality assurance" (Always makes me chuckle) then I'm sure people here would be willing to help. I would, in any case.

Just out of curiosity, how large was the final version that you handed in?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #11
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
If you need help with testing or "quality assurance" (Always makes me chuckle) then I'm sure people here would be willing to help. I would, in any case.

Just out of curiosity, how large was the final version that you handed in?
I will inform you all when that time comes so everybody that's intrested in helping can be notified. Thanks for showing your interest in this.

The version I handed in was over 60 Mb if I remember correct. That was way bigger then I initially thought it would be. I think it will be even bigger once I add some more details here and there.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:53 PM   #12

I've done proofreading for a couple of games and stuff, and I'm as nitpicky as anyone you're likely to find -- if you want that kind of checking, tell me
Old 01-05-2004, 05:25 AM   #13
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Bah, don't trust her. She doesn't even know how to use an ellipsis properly
Old 01-05-2004, 07:37 AM   #14
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
I've done proofreading for a couple of games and stuff, and I'm as nitpicky as anyone you're likely to find -- if you want that kind of checking, tell me
Ha ha, I've noticed. I will let you know when I need it.