You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 01:03 PM   #61
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say
That's what I wish myself, but I keep running into posts like this too often to be true. So obviously I can't continue to sit back as some fans in here started to take words out of THAT conversation out of context.
Mmmkay, so can we consider the whole behind-the-scenes subplot to be over for now?

For the record, I've just swapped private messages with CĂ©sar explaining our stances to one another, and there is no hard feelings involved, at least not on my side. I hope both Phoenix team and Josh Mandel remain frequent visitors here. I just think that digging up old grudges and arguments is not particularly healthy for the forums.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #62
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcj
Datadog (aka Chris Ushko; from the KQIX team) is our primary character artist. And Marty, our background artist, has been helping with it some, too. But more, the merrier! If anyone's interested in helping, please let us know.

We're looking at stuff like:

And better.
Isent that way too cartoony for the style of VSB?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-11-2005, 01:15 PM   #63
pcj

Send a message via AIM to pcj Send a message via MSN to pcj

Heh...no.

First of all, that's really just a concept sketch; there's no shading on this example. Secondly, while there is a bit of contrast between the backgrounds and the characters, they do blend well. VSB tends to have brighter, softer-lined backgrounds than previous SQ games.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #64

Oh, boy! Ewoks!
Old 12-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #65
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarbittar
"Cruel" would have been to "give up" as a leader, when I learned of the threat of being shut down.
Cesar, you and I and everybody else knew from Day One that any fan game stands a reasonable chance of being shut down. It could not have come as some sort of revelation to you. We talked about it years ago, you were aware of it then. The fact that somebody told you more recently that Vivendi was watching could not possibly have been a surprise, especially given the amount of publicity you had already worked to generate.

Quote:
And I will appreciate if you (Josh Mandel) stop calling me names and making conclusions about the things I do (and my real intentions) in public.
I have never called you names, Cesar, nor have I jumped to any conclusions about your actions or intentions. I've been very clear NOT to jump to any conclusions, preferring instead to only comment on the facts as they have been explained to me by the people directly involved. In fact, when the C&D letter was publicized, I urged that people not jump to conclusions about it.

Quote:
And I will appreciate it also if you stop putting down my team's work so easily. From PR to writing to everyone else that has worked hard and believed in this.
I have never publicly put down your team's work or the game's content whatsoever. I challenge you to find a single instance where I have done so. In fact, I've said positive things about the game since seeing the demo. I admit fully to making critical statements about the way the game has been prepublicized and marketed.

Quote:
I personally don't want an apology from you, but I strongly believe you owe my team one.
I happily and sincerely apologize to your team for any perceived slights. I admire their work greatly. The demo looks terrific, and, as I said earlier in this thread, I'm glad the game is coming out.

Quote:
everytime that you talk about how wrong it was for us to go big, or how "disrespectful" the story is to Roberta Williams (who doesn't happen to think so), you are attacking the team.
Since you've characterized the decision to "go big" as your own, I don't believe that criticizing that decision is attacking the team. As for how disrespectful the story actually is or is not to Roberta, I have never broached that publicly -- but you have. Twice now.

I don't think there has been a single professional, working adventure game designer more supportive and proactive in the fangame community as I've been, Cesar, and from AGD to Colin and others, I have never tried to quash anyone's creativity -- my intentions have been to facilitate fangames in general, to help where possible, and to encourage talented teams such as yours to exercise originality. As for the disrespect issue, my feelings were (and still are) that IF a fangame is going to promote itself specifically as the next game in the series (as the title “KQ IX” did) -- which virtually states that the game is a direct and quasi-official inheritor of the series’ label -- that it should not rewrite canon. This is a marketing issue, not a content issue, since the solution is not to change the content (and I never suggested any such changes), but to very slightly alter the marketing. This not only gives one "clean hands" as far as the canon issues go, and eliminates the possibility of disrespect (back when Roberta had refused to give you a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on your content), but also makes the owners of the copyright less likely to exercise their legal rights.

--Josh
Old 12-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #66
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
I don't think there has been a single professional, working adventure game designer more supportive and proactive in the fangame community as I've been, Cesar, and from AGD to Colin and others, I have never tried to quash anyone's creativity -- my intentions have been to facilitate fangames in general, to help where possible, and to encourage talented teams such as yours to exercise originality. As for the disrespect issue, my feelings were (and still are) that IF a fangame is going to promote itself specifically as the next game in the series (as the title “KQ IX” did) -- which virtually states that the game is a direct and quasi-official inheritor of the series’ label -- that it should not rewrite canon. This is a marketing issue, not a content issue, since the solution is not to change the content (and I never suggested any such changes), but to very slightly alter the marketing. This not only gives one "clean hands" as far as the canon issues go, and eliminates the possibility of disrespect (back when Roberta had refused to give you a thumbs-up or thumbs-down on your content), but also makes the owners of the copyright less likely to exercise their legal rights.

--Josh
I can vouch for Josh on this one, I've heard nothing but positivity and lovely comments about Josh from Colin (SQ7) and the AGDs. Judging on how he actually helps with fan games and actually sticks around the community is enough to prove that he cares about the genre and the fans of it. And that he has no intention (mind me saying) of 'pissing on another persons party'.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #67
Third Guy from Andromeda

I should add: at the polite and tasteful requests of Ms. Salazar and AFGNCAAP, I'll withdraw and let others have the last words. There were just a few charges that Cesar leveled that I wasn't comfortable letting rest unanswered. I've said my piece now.

--Josh

Last edited by Josho; 12-11-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #68
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I just think that digging up old grudges and arguments is not particularly healthy for the forums.
Agreed.

Whatever happened in the past, I'm just glad this game is going to see the light of day.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #69
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
I don't think there has been a single professional, working adventure game designer more supportive and proactive in the fangame community as I've been
I know this is off-topic, but I want to thank you for this. I, for one, appreciate how involved you are with the community. I look up to you. It's nice to have a Sierra face around to communicate with.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #70
King's Quest fan

In case anyone is interested, I've been posting links to all of the news articles and blogs that have been written about the game since the good news was announced. A LOT of people are writing about it, which is great. If you're interested in reading some of the articles and blogs, you can visit the thread on the SaveKQIX forum.

http://savekqix.proboards25.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1134 164628
Old 12-14-2005, 03:25 AM   #71
Doctor Watson

This thread should have been locked a few pages ago.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 AM   #72
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
This thread should have been locked a few pages ago.
And open ourselves up for everyone to accuse us of being tyrants?

Besides, it seems to have righted itself, in that no one has anything else to say.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #73
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
And open ourselves up for everyone to accuse us of being tyrants?
Well, for the last few pages this thread was nothing but flaming and discussing issues that seemed to be of more personal rather than public interest, so I can't see why not lock it. But you're right, it sorted itself out. (Here's hoping!)
Old 12-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #74
After 2 years...

Great news...

but, are we sure there is not a catch?
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 12-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #75
Elegantly copy+pasted

Hey Jack, how about splitting this discussion about amateur games off into its own thread? Keeps the main thread on topic, and makes the debate more visible to others who might like to join.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #76
Hopeful skeptic

Good idea. I'll bugger it up if I try, though, so I'll tap the mods.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:05 AM   #77
Dungeon Master

Anybody wanting to continue the discussion about quality of amateur games, or wondering what the heck the two above posts are about, please head here.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:14 AM   #78
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Good idea. I'll bugger it up if I try, though, so I'll tap the mods.
Wimp.

Thanks, AFGNCAAP!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #79

So, now that KQ9 is back in development, when's it going to be released?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #80
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Wimp.
Darn right! Hostile forumites are like hungry piranha.

As for the Silver Lining release date, so far they're simply saying "some time in 2006". But since the devs are posting here, maybe one of them will brave a more specific timeline.