You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2005, 05:53 AM   #1
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default C&D - We are the ones in control.

I just notice lately, there are so many conversatiotions about C&D letters and how companies can shut down projects. But who is REALLY in control? If all the fans stand together we can do anything. We saved Kings Quest 9, we 'forced' sierra to make another Quest for Glory game, we now have Broken Sword 4, And probably loads of other small things.

I'm just think C&D letters won't matter much if fans react like they did with KQ9, if QFG2VGA got shut down tomorow, do you think we're all going to sit here and do bugger all? We all care so much, thats why we even come on this bloody forums in the first place.

Just wanted to tell everyone to keep hope, because we're the ones in control even if you think the struggle is hopeless, don't.

Any one want to share some thoughts?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Less remakes and spin-offs. snore.

More original material! More innovation.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

If only people could come up with something better than Monkey Island, Space Quest & Quest for Glory. But sadly no games really have that much creativity.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
More slaw!!!

It's not hard to have enough creativity to come up with something that equals, or betters, our favourites from the good old days.

As much as I enjoyed the Kings Quest remakes, and will probably love the QFG remake, I really think that fan remakes are a colossal waste of effort. The games have been done before, and I think gamers would be better rewarded with something new and unique.

The problem is that it seems that people are only willing to get together in a team and put in a lot of hard work over a number of years only if the project is to make a remake or a non-official sequal. What I think is needed is these same type of people, who can do great quality work, but banding together to work on something fresh and interesting.

Last edited by Toefur; 12-11-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
Hitch-Hiker

I havent once seen a extremely memorable adventure game like Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Broken Sword... etc. (now-a-days, freeware or comercial)

Theres just a lack of fresh ideas and new concepts.

_

Old 12-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Have faith! There are some great adventures coming!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
Hitch-Hiker

The problem is that people never get the right combination:

- Great graphics
- Fresh idea
- Good puzzle Design
- Funfactor (why you want to play the game)
- Replayability (If possible)
- Voice acting & music

Voice acting plays such a huge part in games people just think its too hip or will ruin the game, if done properly, you can get a proper cast by seraching at voice acting communities & real life auditions. Voices & music really set the tone for a game. Take Jessica Plunkenstein and the DĂĽsseldorf Conspiracy for example, its the witty voice acting that really sells the game.

Amateur developers need to try and get the correct combination for a successful product. IMHO.

_

Old 12-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
If only people could come up with something better than Monkey Island, Space Quest & Quest for Glory. But sadly no games really have that much creativity.
Can't agree with you there. As much as I love them, the Quest games are really not all that creative. They're full of cliches (particularly the KQs and the LSL games) and even repeat themselves in their sequels. They may have been great games for the time, but they're not the be all and end all.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
MI-TLY

Send a message via MSN to storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
The problem is that it seems that people are only willing to get together in a team and put in a lot of hard work over a number of years only if the project is to make a remake or a non-official sequal. What I think is needed is these same type of people, who can do great quality work, but banding together to work on something fresh and interesting.
Yes, that's how most teams get started, but a lot of them do only 1 (or 2) of those remakes/unofficial sequels, and then, once they've established their name, start coming up with their own original stuff.

Pretty much any group I've come across speaks of starting something entirely new once they've gained enough experience (from their first project)

an example is AGDI, they first did only remakes, but they founded Himalaya Studios later on to start with their own original stuff, and I'm sure there are many more examples.

so to quote Enriq:

Have faith! There are some great adventures coming!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #10
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Can't agree with you there. As much as I love them, the Quest games are really not all that creative. They're full of cliches (particularly the KQs and the LSL games) and even repeat themselves in their sequels. They may have been great games for the time, but they're not the be all and end all.
I guess you're right, but there still arent any good adventure games around with the complete set of features..

_