You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Should I read the Bone Comic first or play the game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Should I read the Bone Comic first or play the game?

Okay since the Bone game is coming out in September, and I just bought the Bone comic book, I was wondering which is better, playing the game first and reading the book, or reading the book first and then playing the game.

Either way I feel that one of the 2 will get screwed because I will know the story. Oh man, so confused

Firefox rules
Old 08-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I plan on reading the book first, because I don't feel like waiting for all of the Bone games to be completed before I get around to reading it. Also, I think I might enjoy the comic more. And the sooner I read it, the sooner I can re-read it.

In your case, though, you could play the first Bone game episode, then read the first Bone book, and see if it really ruined the comic experience. If it does, then there's still more comic left that is unspoiled.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
guybrush_guy

i bought both comics just recently and i'm already done with the first book, i'll be at sea when the game comes out so i'm going to have to read the second book fufill my bone needs for the next 2 months.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

Ive been reading Bone and I suggest you actually pick up the comic. The art and storyline are wonderful, and while I think the game will be close I doubt it can exactly capture the same feeling as the comic.

You can get the entire Bone series in one book for about $35.

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 08-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #5

I bought a Bone comic to get ready for the game as well. I wasnt all too impressed but my expectations for adventure games and comics Differ greatly. I've never been a big comic guy but this doesnt have nearly enough gore or nudity.... or any at all.

I absolutely adore the Sam and Max game but that didnt help me to like the comics that Ive come across on the internet.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
Banned User

I think you should not buy the comic book and then not play the game.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
gin soaked boy

Read the book first, the game will expand on it and change some things so I don't think it would ruin much for you.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I think you should not buy the comic book and then not play the game.
Very funny. Shouldnt you be fawning over Ron Jeromy?
Old 08-21-2005, 01:19 AM   #9
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Well, I've read the WHOLE comic, and my interest in the game has since then risen quite much. I'd actually advice you to read the comic first, because it's imo one of the greatest comics that exists. I'm sure it won't ruin the game experience, because.. Look at what happened to me! The game and the comic are actually two quite seperate things. The comic comes without voices, interactivity, 3D, puzzles and so on.. The only thing they actually have in common is the story.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games

Last edited by jannar85; 08-21-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:31 AM   #10

I bought the first book out of curiousity, and now I look forward to the game even more than I was before I read it. It was a wonderful book, and I'm going to get all the books as soon as they're available to me. I bought the full-coloured edition, and will continue to do so. I generally don't like non-coloured comics. Pictures, yes, but not full comics.

I think the scenario will be something like when LucasArts released Indy and the Last Crusade (adventure). They will have the same story, same goals, same ending, but the game will still have a lot more than that going for it, and you won't be able to complete the game just by having seen the movie/read the book. They game was very different from the movie, and the only thing they really had in common was the story. So yes, I think it's safe to read the comic book first before you play the game, but only if you have no problem with knowing how the story goes.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:52 AM   #11
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
Very funny. Shouldnt you be fawning over Ron Jeromy?
Well, his bone is more entertaining than the one you doofusis are slobbering over.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:55 AM   #12
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I bought the full-coloured edition, and will continue to do so. I generally don't like non-coloured comics. Pictures, yes, but not full comics.
The coloring they did on Bone turned out surprisingly good, but I still encourage you to give the black & white edition a chance. Jeff Smith is a genius when it comes to black and white balancing.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:46 AM   #13
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Despite having absolutely no love for comic books, I decided to track down a cheap copy of the complete volume edition of Bone, in anticipation of the games release. I found it so engrossing that I finished it in a matter days. What I was expecting was just a cartoon comic adventure, but I was surprised by just how much character depth there was.

The way the relationship between Fone and Thorn develops is particularly touching. And also Phoney, on the surface he's completely greedy, always looking for a new ways to scam people, but as the story progresses we learn that what he really cares about more than anything else is looking out for his cousins, his only family.

Although I really enjoyed the book, I am a bit worried that it's changed my expectations for the game. Before reading the book I was just excited that we were finally getting a new comedy adventure game, as in the old Lucasarts days. Now when I play the game I'm going to be looking for all those character touches that were in the book. So therefore I'm not really sure that it was such a good idea reading the book first, maybe I would have preferred to go into the game with a completely open mind.

That said I still remain optimistic that the game will turn out good. If Jeff Smith is heavily involved then there seems a good chance that the characters will turn out right.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:19 AM   #14
Dungeon Master

Wouldn't it make more sense to both read the comic and play the game before recommending somebody else which he should do first?

[/rant]