You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure First(?) Fahrenheit review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 03:12 AM   #1

Default First(?) Fahrenheit review

Eurogamer has just published a review of Fahrenheit. They quite like it.

It says a lot about the nature of the games business that a game as exciting as Fahrenheit can be left hung out to dry by its publisher. Less than a year into the game's development, Quantic Dream was left contemplating its options once it became clear that its publisher Vivendi-Universal Games was no longer interested in releasing it. With the personnel that originally signed the game for VUG having left the organisation, those left in charge seemingly had no clear understanding of where the project was heading or its commercial value.

Read more here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60494

Edit: Uh.. they've actually got a second review as well. Slightly less glowing, but still a good score (and the review is amusing, especially if you've played the demo).

14th August 2005, 23:12. Unknown place.

I'd been sitting at the PC for hours trying to review Fahrenheit. It was getting late; my health was deteriorating, and the pressure to write something that slotted neatly on the end of Kristan's conclusion was immense. Was this the saviour of the adventure game genre? Were its action sequences the awkward inclusions he'd told me they were? I wasn't sure. Fahrenheit may have been flawed, but it worked for the most part - and it felt like the process of getting to the bottom of that would involve contradicting the man who held sway over my words many times over.

Read more:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60493

Last edited by Kolorabi; 08-15-2005 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
The Greater of Two Evils

Quote:
...we had to follow our hearts and award Fahrenheit the nine it deserves for being probably the most enjoyable, forward-looking and thoughtful piece of videogaming we've played in this or in any year. We never thought we'd say this, but it's a real step forward for the adventure game genre.
Regardless of how good Indigo Prophecy turns out to be, I honestly believe it could be the adventure genre's savior.

These are the first real innovations we have seen in adventure games since Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail. And Shadow of Destiny, but no one knew that game existed.

The genre can only live off of low budget Myst and King's Quest clones for so much longer.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:59 AM   #3
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

The game seems great, according to the review..That does it, i´m ordering it now!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #4
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I notice that all of the online stores I normally order games from have Farenheit for preorder priced higher than most adventure games, which they often discount. How annoying.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Aj_
Beyond Belief

The only thing stopping me getting this game is controls and camera. Things so fundamental should be bolted down way before the content is created. The animation was off, and now I hear the action is badly implemented. I hate to focus so much on the negative, the interactivity was more than a lot of adventures, and the dialogue system was not just a way to feed you lines but played a part in the world.

Did anyone else get Max Payne (the original) deja vu at the beginning of the demo, the snow, the setting, and music were pretty similar?

Does anyone else have a problem judging the most important parts of this game by the demo, those parts being the story, and how the story is told?

Last edited by Aj_; 08-15-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
merely human

Echoing Jack's critique, Eurogamer says that the controls seem overdesigned so as to not be intuitive enough, though personally I don't think it's a matter of QD trying to grab both adventure gamers and action gamers. I think they were trying to immerse the player in ways that, in their minds, were more sympathetic towards emotional involvement to the story and characters. So that part's understandable, but not the 'gameplay' part as we know it.

Remember that this a review of the Xbox version using console controllers. Reed didn't mention any bugs so it's probably fairly good. The demo played beautifully on my PC, but I really am still torn between getting that and the Xbox version. I'll wait for more reviews (including AG's).

EDIT: Heh heh, and a comment from that site from a reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talha, 15-Aug-05 12:08:12
...I hope it is not one of those point-and-click thingys, is it, because I intend to go right out and buy it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
OB

Quote:
Did anyone else get Max Payne (the original) deja vu at the beginning of the demo, the snow, the setting, and music were pretty similar?
Heaven forbid if a game takes place in a snowy city.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
Squeaky

Not that I needed any more convincing, but that first review was excellent. Thanks for the link, Kolorabi.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:18 AM   #9
The Greater of Two Evils

Just preordered the PS2 version from Amazon.com (free shipping on all preorders!). Atari better not be lying when it says this is an adventure game for consoles.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:25 AM   #10
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOPE
Atari better not be lying when it says this is an adventure game for consoles.
And if they are? You know, it seems likely its devs themselves called this an interactive drama for a reason...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:38 AM   #11
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
You know, it seems likely its devs themselves called this an interactive drama for a reason...
Not to scare off the idiots like Talha?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #12
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Not to scare off the idiots like Talha?
OMG. Quantic Dreams better be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #13
The Greater of Two Evils

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
And if they are?
Then, I'll, um... uh... buy the Windows version.

That'll show 'em!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:01 AM   #14
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

that review only makes me want the game MORE! I can't wait. What's the release date in the US?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:41 AM   #15

September 27th

I think I'm staying away from the PC version, 'cause the demo had so many graphical issues that I'm not sure if the full version will be much better. Especially since I haven't seen many people having the same problem. It's the same kind of problem that I have with World of Warcraft ever since I switched the motherboard - invisible characters, only face showing like some kind of rayman figure, distorted graphics. Other games doesn't have this. Only WoW and Fahrenheit demo.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #16
Dungeon Master

Talha notwithstanding, I discover more and more excited comments about this, recently unknown to the masses, game among the so-called mainstream. I certainly hope Atari won't screw up the marketing opportunity they have here.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:46 AM   #17
Epinionated.

I wouldn't say "recently unknown". The British PC press is pretty clued up on games like Dreamfall, Myst V and Farenheit and have been for some time.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #18
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
I wouldn't say "recently unknown". The British PC press is pretty clued up on games like Dreamfall, Myst V and Farenheit and have been for some time.
I won't pretend to know better about the British press, of course. But did it really attract attention the way they covered it, or did you spot it because you had already cared about the game? (I am willing to believe it was different with Dreamfall and Myst, with both being sequels.)
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 AM   #19
Burning

I am really impressed by the review. I would like to buy the game but the only option for me is the PC version. I didn't like the keyboard and mouse control scheme. I would definitely buy a gamepad for this game if the PC version supports it. Does anyone know if the PC version plays like the console version with a dual stick gamepad like pc version of Psychonauts?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
I am really impressed by the review. I would like to buy the game but the only option for me is the PC version. I didn't like the keyboard and mouse control scheme. I would definitely buy a gamepad for this game if the PC version supports it. Does anyone know if the PC version plays like the console version with a dual stick gamepad like pc version of Psychonauts?
If you have a dual-analogue gamepad it works as on the console version .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.