You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure does kings quest get any better

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
kamikaze hummingbirds

Default does kings quest get any better

because I've just played King's Quest 1 and I wasnt really impressed. Do the future KQs get more of a storyline with conversation choices and stuff?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck

Hehe yeah jump straight to VI, then play V, then IV, then III, then the VGA Remake of II, then the fan made 2.5.

Don't play 1 *puke
www.josephgoss.com
Old 08-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Yes. I wouldn't bother with King's Quest 2 (the original) if you didn't like King's Quest 1 that much, because it's essentially the same. (Or play AGDI's remake instead - they gave it an actual storyline and made it into a much better game!)

Starting with King's Quest 3 they became less of a "treasure hunt" and more story-driven.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:06 AM   #4

You have to remember, King's Quest 1 came out 21 years ago. It was the first adventure game in which you direcly controlled the main character through arrow keys. I also think it was the first 3rd person adventure as well.

Therefore a lot of puzzles in the game make use of this new technology, such as the Push Rock puzzle. If you're underneath the rck when you push it, you get crushed, but if you're abover the rock when you push it, you survive. Things like that at a time when all other adventures were text based, was revolutionary.

Basically, yes, they do get better. The third one is where the series really comes into it's own, in my opinion, 3-6 are all classics. In my opinion, you should play AGDInteractive (Tierra)'s remake of King's Quest 2 instead of the actual KQ2. That will give you a good idea as to where the series progresses to. If you don't like KQ2VGA+, then you won't really have much fun with the rest of the series either.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
with extra cheese!

4 was my second adventure game and it scared the crap out of me (it had ZOMBIES!). 5's my favourite, I thought the locales were beautiful. Play those instead.
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:22 AM   #6

You should start with VI. I think most people will agree it's the best one in the series.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #7
SamNMax

Just play them in order. Get a history lesson.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #8

Yeah, playing them in order is definitely the best way to experience them, in my opinion. Sure the first couple aren't too spectacular, but IV, V, and VI just won't be as good if you play them first because you wouldn't have a love for the royal family like you do if you play them all.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Plumber-x company

Send a message via AIM to Filmman Send a message via Yahoo to Filmman

Hey You need to play king quest 4 5 6 7 and 8 they are more better to play you need to play king quest 9 when it come out it a three part game
Old 08-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #10

Roberta Williams is probably the worst adventure game designer ever... I'd skip the entire series if I were you.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Shady AGP

Send a message via AIM to Wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Roberta Williams is probably the worst adventure game designer ever... I'd skip the entire series if I were you.
lol heh yeah what he said
www.josephgoss.com
Old 08-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #12
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Well, to be fair, KQ6 was pretty damn good. But that's really the only KQ game I'd describe as "great." Interestingly enough, that's also the only KQ game that Jane Jensen worked on. Coincidence?

KQ5 is alright. KQ3 would have been great had it not been for the terrible gameplay. But in general, yeah, all the rest do kind of suck.

mag
Old 08-12-2005, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Well, to be fair, KQ6 was pretty damn good. But that's really the only KQ game I'd describe as "great." Interestingly enough, that's also the only KQ game that Jane Jensen worked on. Coincidence?
Probably not...

Yeah, Kings Quest 6 was pretty good. It was very well written and had real attention to detail (just think of all those error messages, and compare them to the "no, can't do that"-messages we get today). It also had some problems, including a pretty dreadful design flaw which forced you to play through large areas of the game again if you hadn't picked up a certain object at a certain location. I was _so_ disappointed by that.

Edit: But okay. Skip the entire series except KQ6.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #14
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The King's Quest games are interesting from an historical standpoint, but I couldn't honestly recommend playing them for the first time nowadays ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #15
Epinionated.

I love 'em and still do. Free-roaming adventure with a bit of action to get yer fizzle in a tizzle. I finished them when I was young, loved 'em to bits.

It's worth noting them in a historical context and how much they achieved for their time.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #16
Rogue Agent

I wouldn't advise you to play KQ8 if you are an adventure game purist. The game contains a large amount of combat and is nothing like the earlier games (some people might say that's a good thing ). If you don't mind that kind of thing in an adventure game, then you might enjoy the game.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

I just replayed King's Quest 1 about a week ago, and although I agree the story's pretty weak, I don't see how the game itself and the stuff it has you do is all that different than in games today. I enjoyed them all the first time and as I replay I expect I'll enjoy them all all over again. (I'm going thru the series in order.)
Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 PM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I just replayed King's Quest 1 about a week ago, and although I agree the story's pretty weak, I don't see how the game itself and the stuff it has you do is all that different than in games today. I enjoyed them all the first time and as I replay I expect I'll enjoy them all all over again. (I'm going thru the series in order.)
How about the random deaths caused by enemies entering the screen on top of you? Or in later games, what about the walking off cliffs by clicking in the wrong place, or losing the game because you forgot to pick up a brick in a garden on an unrelated island?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #19

KQ6 is just magical.

The only thing about these games are the blasted dead ends and countless deaths.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #20
kamikaze hummingbirds

I died because I was on the wrong end of a boulder that was definately considerably smaller than me but somehow managed to crush and kill me.