You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy demo (spoilers in thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #201
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Actually, I would like it better if the game had some sort of checkpoint system or something akin to the back end of The Last Express. It would be really cool to be able to do the whole segment from the beggining and correct mistakes, or intentionally throw in mistakes to see how it plays out later on.

Ninja Dodo: motion capture stiff? What? It may lack the flourish and control of high-quality traditional animation, but it is more than serviceable and it is cheaper. It definitely isn't stiff.

Most of the complaints people have in this here forum are totally daft. But then again, what is one to expect from the people who sustain the adventure genre in its present, mediocre form?
The skip cutscene complaint is actually reasonable. I don't even feel tempted to redo the demo and try to find new ways of going through the bathroom situation because of it. Apart from that, I liked the game on all levels. The graphics aren't Doom 3 but they're certainly a step ahead of newer adventure games. The interface isn't hard to grasp either, get over it people. Apart from that, I agree that adventure games have been pretty mediocre.

Apart from Sam and Max. Hawr.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:06 PM   #202
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Oh man. There is some definitely questionable material in that demo, but on the whole, that was really great. That demo was the most compelling adventure game I've played in the last few years. It was so nice to never feel like the game was forcing you to do something - everything that was done was done because I wanted to do it. If I didn't want to do something, okay maybe I would get arrested, but the game would still progress. So refreshing.

I really like that the game designer talks to you in the beginning of the demo... though yeah, it was sad that he kept facing the door whenever the camera angle changed to show someone else in the restaurant. I want him to follow me along through the final game as an interactive directors commentary, telling me about different things in the game and occasionally holding up pieces of concept art or playing me a video, or allowing me to stab him and hide his body in the stall.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #203
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolasFigaro
My only real concern is how the double character gameplay (as I know, you control both Lucas Kane and the Detective) will come to life, and, during to this, how will you be able to "connect" to the two characters, since they are on opossite sides.
Nice post, Nikolas. And welcome to the forums .

As for your above concern, according to a friend of mine who's been game testing this thing for the last few months, you've got nothing to worry about .

And I agree with SJH's post on the last page (#192). There's a lot to be excited about here.

Whilst it does seem to create its own genre to some extent, the demo still feels to me like the Adventure game dragged kicking and screaming into the new millenium, and shows some of the most interesting innovation I've seen in the better part of a decade. Either way, I'm itching to see how it all pans out in the full game .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidium
How do you actually control the game with a gamepad, and is it worth it for the loss in graphics you get on a console?
You could just get a PC gamepad and have the best of both worlds. I got a brand new dual analog stick controller (with vibration) for AUD$10 (US$7) on ebay (buy-it-now price).

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 07-30-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:09 AM   #204
[Insert important title]

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu
Clicking on the dead body and then clicking on the bathroom stall does not seem to me to have any more gameplay than walking up to the body and hitting the analog stick in an appropriate manner.
I think you missed the point. There is slight difference in gameplay when you walk towards body and DONT see icon that tells you what you can do with it. Small difference yes but at least for me it is big thing. You really dont have the joy of finding out of things by yourself in Fahrenheit demo now.

Quote:
As for "exploration," what sort of exploration really exists in an Adventure game that just could not exist in Fahrenheit?
For example in bathroom you just now right away what you can do. You dont have the pleasure to wonder "hmm, can i use that condom machine, let´s try". Aergh, i explain meself wrong, i know, but damn it is hard to put my thoughts in writing especially with foreign langue.

But please, dont get me wrong. I really enjoyed the demo and it´s visions. Im jus dreaming what could be.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:56 AM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Err, I didn't mean for you to LITERALLY read and respond; It was more of a "see, I'm not the only person" who feels this way. Nevermind.
Well, when you direct a statement at other people, you shouldn't be surprised when they respond to it.

Veksu: Have you read the last few pages of this thread: http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=9153 ?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:03 AM   #206
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veksu
I think you missed the point. There is slight difference in gameplay when you walk towards body and DONT see icon that tells you what you can do with it. Small difference yes but at least for me it is big thing. You really dont have the joy of finding out of things by yourself in Fahrenheit demo now.
Oh come on, you're just clutching at straws. What else is he going to do with the body? Isn't ALL adventures about arbitrary choices? What's the point of making it HARDER to move the body, what does the designer achieve by that? The game is all about the CHOICES you make, removing unnecessary barriers, not sitting there scratching your head wondering if you should be clicking the head or the feet and then wondering if it matters which cubicle to lock the guy in.

Take the knife. I guarantee some people will miss that first time. Icon or not, you have to get quite close to it for it to become an option. Take the coin for example, too - you only have one. But interacting with the condom machine more than once suprises you by breaking it and taking the money. But what happens if you don't hide the body, and merely wash your hands? Less forensic evidence, probably.

Then you have the diner. The choices YOU make, regardless of icon showing or not, will change the next section of gameplay. Pay? Don't pay? Try to relax? Try to talk to the patrons? Skidaddle straight away? Play it covert and pay and go? How many people playing the demo reached to door and decided to go back? Don't forget, the next sequence will depend on how you've managed the game. Get recognised or panic your way out, you have to run from the coppers next. Do a good job and slip away, the cops you'll play next will have a harder time of it.

That's the root of the game, making choices of how to take each scenario, as someone said - much like The Last Express. Not necessarily point and clicking sedately around your environment wondering if you should use the mop on the sink or the blood on the floor. There's a point where pointing becomes pointless, and in a game like this it would only be abitrary.

Quote:
For example in bathroom you just now right away what you can do. You dont have the pleasure to wonder "hmm, can i use that condom machine, let´s try". Aergh, i explain meself wrong, i know, but damn it is hard to put my thoughts in writing especially with foreign langue.

But please, dont get me wrong. I really enjoyed the demo and it´s visions. Im jus dreaming what could be.
As I said, where's the point of this? Most of the time adventure games nowadays have VERY LITTLE interaction as it is. Searching around the screen for a hotspot is one of the main complaints of AG'ers nowadays. I still wondered if I could use the machine, but rather than a pointer changing its icon to indicate interactivity, I got an icon. You still had to move close to the machine to try to use it.

Last edited by squarejawhero; 07-31-2005 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:38 AM   #207
[Insert important title]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi
Veksu: Have you read the last few pages of this thread: http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=9153 ?
No, but now i have. I liked your last post, good explanation without arrogance. That´s good for conversation. We both have our own opinions and i hope we can respect that? Perhaps we should close this conservation for our part cause i feel there is no need to say more or it will be just fight

Now it has been nice change of opinions and i like that. I found many of your arguments understandable for your point of view and i hope that i made my own mind clear. It was nice to talk (like we talked but this post is meant for "everybody") but i really dont know what new to say.

To squarejawhero, it seems i didnt make my self clear. Like i sayed, i dont want this come to just fighting "im right! no I AM right!" style so i give up.

Last edited by Veksu; 07-31-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:06 AM   #208
Epinionated.

Quote:
No, but now i have. I liked your last post, good explanation without arrogance. That´s good for conversation. We both have our own opinions and i hope we can respect that? Perhaps we should close this conservation for our part cause i feel there is no need to say more or it will be just fight

Now it has been nice change of opinions and i like that. I found many of your arguments understandable for your point of wiev and i hope that i made my own mind clear. It was nice to talk (like we talked but this post is meant for "everybody") but i really dont know what new to say.

To squarejawhero, it seems i didnt make my self clear. Like i sayed, i dont want this come to just fighting "im right! no I AM right!" style so i give up.
The problem with opinions is if you make points as if they're definite, you're going to come up against people that disagree.

My issue is that you're making problems about things that are already embedded within the adventure genre, and that to be completely honest, there isn't much difference between having to walk up to the body and having to wave your cursor across a screen to find a hotspot. Your actions are still planned out for you before hand, the difference in this game is whether you choose to decide to commit to those actions and the response to those actions later on. You still have the element of discovery - entering the diner shows up a whole bunch of different options, for example. Whilst you still have an inventory, the gameplay is not based around it - it's not Return to Mysterious Island as that game is to Syberia or Myst.

And it's not just you, so apologies if I'm coming on strong. I'm responding to many people and thoughts I've read on other forums towards the game. It's very frustrating seeing formulaic games being hyped up to the heavens, but give something a little different it's like wolves at a corpse before the vultures come down and start picking off what's left.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #209

Quote:
Then I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I find walking up to it to be the same as clicking on it in say an old Sierra style game. In one, I walk up and see if I can do anything, and in the other I just click and see if I can do anything

Quote:

Well, I think that you wonder it before you walk up to it. I don't think people give themselves enough credit
Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 AM   #210
[Insert important title]

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
The problem with opinions is if you make points as if they're definite, you're going to come up against people that disagree.
Making my opinions definite was not my intentions. I never forced anyone to think like me, i just passed my thoughs to others. Perhaps i have misplaced my words.

Quote:
My issue is that you're making problems about things that are already embedded within the adventure genre, and that to be completely honest, there isn't much difference between having to walk up to the body and having to wave your cursor across a screen to find a hotspot.
This was not a major problem to me, it was just a thing i was accustomed to. Like having automatic or manual gears in car. I still like to drive that car any gears it may contains, i just would maybe liked manuals more. Im just more friend for the traditonal style i fell in love in adventures. Thats all, no major problem or hating the game.

Quote:
It's very frustrating seeing formulaic games being hyped up to the heavens, but give something a little different it's like wolves at a corpse before the vultures come down and start picking off what's left.
I know what you mean and i understand your frustrating. But i think Fahrenheit has had very positive response (i loved the demo meself also) and i has bright future ahead so no worry. I think this game may be the saviour of adventure games, even the traditonals also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu
Then I guess we'll just agree to disagree.
I guess it too.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:04 PM   #211

Default help

hi

after spendin ages downloadin the demo i tryed to play it and a message came up sayin 'A DirectX 9.0c or higher compliant video card is needed to run this application. The program will now exit'

plz plz plz help me as after readin this thread i really really really want to play this and the release date is still miles away and i cant w8 that long so plz help me

if u now wat i need to do then plz post here

thanks so much

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 04-26-2010 at 05:53 AM. Reason: removed email address
Old 08-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #212
OB

Is DX9c installed on your system? It says "video card", but maybe installing the runtime will solve the problem. I doubt it will, but it's worth a try given all the time you spent downloading the demo. Another 30-40MB isn't going to hurt.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

If that doesn't do it, then you're going to have to upgrade your video card or buy one if you have onboard video. You can pick up a 9.0 compliant pretty cheap these days. Not top of line, but more than enough for this game.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #213
DAVE

Well my radeon 9000 runs it and it's 8.1 compliant, so there shouldn't actually be a problem.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #214

Here are the system requirements I found for it

Quote:
Operating System: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP
Processor: Pentium® III 800 MHz or faster
Memory: 256 MB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 510 MB Free
Video: 32 MB Hardware T&L-compatible video card*
Sound: Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c (included) or higher

*32 MB video cards with no support of hardware T&L, such as the Nvidia Riva TNT
or any Intel integrated video card, are not supported.

Fahrenheit requires that DirectX 9.0c be installed on your computer.
So as long as you have a Geforce 2 or better or any Radeon it should work. If you don't, that's the problem.
If you do, try what Orange Brat suggested. You may need to update your video card drivers.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #215

hi

thanks for ur help but im not gunna by a new video card as i am gunna buy the full version of the game on the xbox i just wanted to have an easy way to solve the problem so that i could see wat the game was like.

but thanks for all ur help neway
Old 08-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #216
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian80
thanks for ur help but im not gunna by a new video card as i am gunna buy the full version of the game on the xbox i just wanted to have an easy way to solve the problem so that i could see wat the game was like.
I'm still confused as to which platform I should get the game for - Xbox or PC. It looks great on PC with all the setting turned up, but the graphics itself isn't necessarily cutting edge, only very crisp and high res, so it can also be justified on Xbox. I think it's a matter of how buggy it might be when it comes out. If it's really, really buggy I'll just get the PC version and hope they'll give us patches to fix it right away.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 PM   #217
Banned User

Well I loved it, only one problem, I couldn't set up the right stick of my xbox controller. For some reason, the game wont recognize the right stick, so I had to use the keyboard and mouse. Anyone know how to set that up? Probably not, but it's worth a shot. I'd really like to use my xbox controller with this game because of the rumble feature.

Anyone able to get him to kill himself?
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #218

Well, I'm in Canada, and I plan on picking up a copy of Fahrenheit, not Indigo Prophecy. I don't fancy having the game censored, and since PC games are much easier to import than console games (No need to mod a PC to get a European game to run), I'm going to get it for PC.

I didn't mind the keyboard mouse setup when I played the demo, so the only reason I'd get the Xbox version is a moot point.

Last edited by BerserkerTails; 08-02-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #219
Cannabis Connoisseur

The controls are really confusing me
Old 08-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #220
merely human

Practice makes perfect. You'll get used to it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien