You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy demo (spoilers in thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #1

Default Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy demo (spoilers in thread)

The Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy demo is available at 3Dgamers
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/fahrenheit/downloads/
Old 07-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the heads up. I'll try this tonight. I hope I do better at it than I did at the demo console at E3.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:28 PM   #3

Noooo, why now
I can't download it for a least another week (I've downloaded more than my monthly allowance and my provider has put me on smallband, which is 15 kB/s). Can someone tell me if it's any good? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by EvilMulder; 07-26-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Sirus

Wow, it's tons of fun. Only problem is the demo is really short, and Lucas is hard to control.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #5

Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading various post on this site for the better part of a year. I like to stay informed on different games, sometimes find clues to games I'm currently playing, but never posting myself.

When I found this demo available, the excitement got the better of me and I couldn't resist posting. Now I've gone and done it so perhaps I will just have to start posting more often.

Question: Is this demo any good? I'm not good at this type of game. After downloading the demo, I gave it a try only to find it is not my cup of tea. It really does look exciting and interesting and starts with a 'bang' but I'm not good with the keyboard. I've already uninstalled the demo and will be passing on this game.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:25 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Anyone know if there's gamepad support in the demo?

The controls were what I had trouble with at E3 (and that was WITH a gamepad). I'm scared of what the keyboard controls will be like. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #7

Well, I just played it, and I loved the demo. It's very short, but just long enough to make you beg for September to come quicker. Also, it has very low requirements (Low compared to most PC games coming out today), yet the game looks really nice.

As for controls, I must admit, they were a bit odd at first. But after playing through the demo a couple times, I got a hold of them. I'm sure that anyone playing through the game will get accustomed to the controls quite quickly.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Anyone know if there's gamepad support in the demo?
Yep, there is. Works pretty well, too.

I'm sure the controls will start to feel more comfortable, but I still suspect this will be the game's biggest failing - at least in terms of the specific actions you're required to perform, whether the movement mimicking or the silly button mashing. They're needlessly finicky and just don't add anything of value. But here's hoping the rest of the game more than makes up for that. So far, so good.

And welcome to AG, boshettee.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Yep, there is. Works pretty well, too.

I'm sure the controls will start to feel more comfortable, but I still suspect this will be the game's biggest failing - at least in terms of the specific actions you're required to perform, whether the movement mimicking or the silly button mashing. They're needlessly finicky and just don't add anything of value. But here's hoping the rest of the game more than makes up for that. So far, so good.

And welcome to AG, boshettee.
I dont get how to play the game...i understand the arrow keys but how to i clean up the murder scene or interact when i see icons? also did anywatch the teaser that comes with it , it looks like the matrix where lucas and that hooded guy fight!

Last edited by Lanze; 07-26-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
capsized.

Oh, no! I drove home (parents' house) yesterday. We only have a dial-up connection here. Pity me. Now!

edit: Um, wait, my brother requested DSL service 2 weeks ago. I wonder if... haven't asked him 'bout that yesterday evening.... Hm...

Last edited by samIamsad; 07-26-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanze
I dont get how to play the game...i understand the arrow keys but how to i clean up the murder scene or interact when i see icons? also did anywatch the teaser that comes with it , it looks like the matrix where lucas and that hooded guy fight!
I am playing with a gamepad so I can't help you with that. But, strangely enough, on the gamepad the default controls don't have those actions entered in. I had to go in and program them myself, and didn't figure it out until I'd played once and couldn't do anything and the cops caught me...

You might want to go into the options and see which keys are programmed for those actions.

EDIT: Apparently the keys for the actions are 4, 6, 8, and 2 -- but use them like arrow keys. So if the action icon is indicating that you want to move down, hit the 2 key and try to replicate the rhythm of the animation. Does that make sense?

Last edited by fov; 07-26-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
OB

I've read it's only 5 min. of gameplay but you can play it a dozen different ways; thus it's an hour. I don't know if that's a bit of hyperbole, but I would think there's more to it than meets the eye.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #13
capsized.

Does it require a 128 MB card? I've read that Dreamfall is going to do.
The game seems to garner quite some interest amongst gamers, judging from what I've read on various boards.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Does it require a 128 MB card? I've read that Dreamfall is going to do.
Nope. Mine is 64 MB and it ran fine. (I had it on low video quality though... didn't try the higher settings.)

Interesting demo. I am definitely looking forward to the full game. I get the feeling I will constantly be trying out new paths, as opposed to playing the whole game through once and then going back and trying again another way.

I didn't try with the keyboard, but the gamepad controls are super easy, once you get the hang of them. Anyone who's apprehensive about the keyboard controls, I suggest buying a gamepad. Best $20 I ever spent. (Okay, that's hyperbole, but you get the idea. )
Old 07-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #15
capsized.

Good to hear that. I have to ask my brother about his DSL service when he gets home from work. Besides, I've never had real issues with keyboard controls, even in most console ports (Silent Hill, Final Fantasy...). Even though I actually have a gamepad, sometimes I'm too lazy to connect it to my PC. That should give you an idea of what a lazy person I really am.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:22 PM   #16
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMulder
Noooo, why now
I can't download it for a least another week (I've downloaded more than my monthly allowance and my provider has put me on smallband, which is 15 kB/s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Oh, no! I drove home (parents' house) yesterday. We only have a dial-up connection here. Pity me. Now!
*starts realizing how much he takes his DSL for granted*
Old 07-26-2005, 10:53 PM   #17
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I won't be able to download it, so can somebody just answer this quick question:

Do you really feel like you can do whatever you want, or does it feel more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book?

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Not sure what you mean by being like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. It's not as if the game pauses and makes you choose between distinct paths, if that's what you're asking. You can do whatever you want (assuming the game will let you do it). So, say you're standing in the bathroom... you have the option to climb out the window, wash your hands, use the dryer, get rid of the knife, get a condom out of the condom machine, take a piss, drag the dead body into the stall, mop up the blood with a broom, or leave the bathroom. You can do these things in any order, whenever you want. You can't, however, break the bathroom mirror, simply because that option isn't presented.

So it's limited freedom, but within what seems to be a very immersive and available environment.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #19
merely human

I just finished the demo. My main complaint is that the mouse/keyboard control is terrible, this is NOT a game to be played that way. I didn't bother using my Thrustmaster pad, but I can tell it would be far better. Those of you bent on getting it for PC, BUY A GAMEPAD.

It IS an 'interactive drama', but played out in 'real' time where you must make very quick decisions and 'physically' carry them out. I tried many different ways of doing it, including simply running out of the diner with blood and all, getting a cab (I imagine the police will probably talk to the cab driver later on), and going into the subway (much better, no one will pay attention to you). I also cleaned everything up in the toilet and just ran out (less facial recogntion), and stopping to pay my bill (more facial recognition). I also tried running out the back door (waitress saw me).

It's a very interesting game, and though for some reason it feels......I dunno, contrived (well, what adventure game doesn't? ), it also feels extremely fresh.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #20
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I tried many different ways of doing it, including simply running out of the diner with blood and all, getting a cab (I imagine the police will probably talk to the cab driver later on), and going into the subway (much better, no one will pay attention to you). I also cleaned everything up in the toilet and just ran out (less facial recogntion), and stopping to pay my bill (more facial recognition). I also tried running out the back door (waitress saw me).
And all of this worked? Sounds great!!!