You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Broken Sword 3, overrated?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
but it was a stable title with very few bugs, coupled with sensible puzzles that anyone could do, great voiceovers and a witty script. I'm sorry! That's how it is. It won awards and copious critical acclaim.
I think that all these awards are due to BS3's wrapping, which is seducing, rather than to its substance, which is rather poor.

Quote:
The other games, in many ways, had a lot of flaws already listed in this thread. You're evidently willing to pick and choose these flaws for the sake of argument... and this is the problem I have.
I'm picking on it because they disturbed me while I was playing, which was not the case in the other games (being disturbed by technical flaws), which the exception of MOS.

Quote:
And how many 2D adventure games of recent years had the same problems? Controls? Impossible puzzles? Tons, even the one's you've cited as liking. My next point it...
Controls? None, except MOS. Impossible puzzles, some. But in this case, it's a matter of the puzzles being too easy, which is even worse in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #62
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
This engine is constructed from the same "ingredients" as its famous, 6-figure big brothers and sisters, so the only thing they really have on it is brand name recognition(Powered by Unreal 3 Engine....oooohhhhhh).
If only it was so simple to compare engines as to check off graphics features. Most engines will have Normal Mapping, but how they are implemented is another thing. Then you have all the other stuff that isn't graphics related, and the tools and SDKs to use them. Doom 3 has nice lights(or darks hehe), Source has nice animation, FarCry can scale impressively, and the Unreal Engine has been proven versatile. That's only a few aspects where they differ, and only one genre, where it is arguable that innervation has been disproportionately directed to graphics.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #63
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly
As far as the interface/control in GK3 is concerned, it took some getting used to.....And being a big time perv, I enjoyed slowing panning over every inch of Grace all very very much.
But you just stated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly
(with the exception of the graphics quality, which I frankly don't care that much about anyway)
Would you have 'cared' to check Grace out if she had been instead made of 3 polygons?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-28-2005, 01:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
But you just stated...

Would you have 'cared' to check Grace out if she had been instead made of 3 polygons?
I still have dream about Zanthia in Hands of Fate, and she was 2D and VGA(well, I don't, but still she was cute).
It's all about the inner beauty, Trep...
Old 07-29-2005, 12:28 AM   #65

anyone who thinks GK horrible voice acting and also horrible controls is better than any of the BS series is having a giraffe
Old 07-29-2005, 12:39 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-Z
anyone who thinks GK horrible voice acting and also horrible controls is better than any of the BS series is having a giraffe
What on earth is a giraffe? (apart from an animal with a long neck, that is)
Old 07-29-2005, 12:44 AM   #67
kamikaze hummingbirds

see this link.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:06 AM   #68

Broken Sword 3 was one of the most awaited games for me, even though I had a bad feeling about the game going 3D. I enjoyed it when I played it, but I really really hated the controls, even with a PS2 pad connected to the PC. Well, I enjoyed it when it was good and I really disliked it when it was bad. But I got through the bad parts hoping the next part would be better. It was kind of a rollercoaster ride, with a lot of ups and downs.

But nowadays, I remember the game as an overall bad game. I really try to look back and think of any really good parts, but there just aren't any that really stands out. Games of the "recent times" I've enjoyed more include games like Out Of Order (amateur point'n'click), Syberia 1 and 2, Still Life and... wow, haven't played that many pure adventure games lately.

Broken Sword 3 was supposed to be the example that adventure games still exists and they're actually quite good. It was one of the few games that you could by in every store, mainly because it was released on all consoles. It wasn't another "niche" game, it was a game aiming for the huge commercial market and competing with games like Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Splinter Cell etc etc, but the game was just too mediocre to make a good impact. It was trying to revolutionize the genre and failed horribly. Instead it was an average title trying to be different.

Anyway, I'd much rather play a game that uses an old formula with success, than a game that tries to innovate and stumbles along just barely enough to keep you from going insane. The game simply wasn't polished enough, and it was released far too early. I'd rate it about the same level as Driv3r when it comes to overall quality. If it wasn't a Broken Sword game and it didn't have those good old characters from the first two games, I'd never play through it. Like Driv3r. I played through the game because I played the first two, and because there's still no other game out there to compete with it's excellent movie-style driving physics. A shame 45% of it was on-foot sections which it really didn't do too well. The bugs was quite annoying too.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 AM   #69
Lost in translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-Z
Then I'm having a few of those giraffes. But I guess that's just a matter of personal taste.

BS is my second favorite saga, all of them are great games; but Gabe is the number one in my heart. And what can I say? I like his voice, it suits him.

That said, I think BS3 is not overrated but overcrated, crates aside is a terrific game, well worth the money.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #70

I have played many adventure games in my time. I have played many games as a whole, and I can honestly say that not one of them has managed to warm the cockles of my heart the way that Broken Sword did.

The fantastic score, the superb voice acting, the intriguing and immersive storyline. It was everything a guy could ask for in an adventure game.

Is BS3 its equal? No, but then again neither is BS2 and that is nothing short of a superb game.

There have been many discussions over at the Revolution forums about how BS3 compares to its predecessors. I've come to the conclusion that there was too much damn magic and too many crate puzzles and not enough sneaking into the hotel rooms of serial killers or leaping into jeeps from 50 foot cliffs.

There were aspects of the story that I didn't like about BS3, I fell I would have liked it more had it not been bearing the legacy of Broken Sword...if it had just been a new game. But it was still a good game in itself. One of the best adventure games of recent years and deserves any plaudits recieves.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #71
Final Fantasy IXer

I actually really enjoyed playing it. It was the first adventure since game since 1999 I didn't feel ashamed of myself for buying. The ending could have been A L O T better, but otherwise it was quite good.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #72
Leo

Out of all the adv. games I have played Broken Sword 1 is my favourite. The story is great, the voice acting is excellent, the characters are really interesting, the graphics are beautiful, etc etc. To this day I still prefer it to all the others I have played (and that includes classics like TLJ, GF, DOTT, Gk).

Broken Sword 2 wasn´t as good but I still thought it was excellent. I don´t understand why so many people hate it. I mean, what is so bad about it? It´s very similar to BS1 without being a simple rehash. I thought the story, gameplay, voice acting, graphics etc were all fantastic. So I can´t understand why so many despise this game. If most adv. games nowadys were like this game I would be delighted.

As for BS3, it was disappointing. It´s still a good game but not as good as the other two. I didn´t mind the graphics so much as the gameplay, the story, dialogue, action sequences etc. It just didn´t feel like Broken Sword. I tried to like it but I couldn´t. If they make BS4, I hope they make like it the first two rather than the last one.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #73
Broken Sword geek :P

Send a message via MSN to mariusmal

i was very disapointed in bs3, i only played it because i am a huge fan of the broken sword serie, and i was the kid waiting in the store for it to open to buy BS1 when it came out

the game wasn't bad at all, but not a great game bs1... one thing i liked, seeing mountfaçon square again

i'm happy because the genre is coming back big time, some old school fans like me will not like the remade genre of adventure,i personally like some games, like still life and runaway.

see ya all, hailz to all the old and new school adventure gamers

POINT N CLICK ROX.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #74

I agree that the ending to BS3 sucked the big one.

It was terribly far-fetched, and I'm not even sure how it came about.