You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Pirates of the Caribbean

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 AM   #1
Party On Dudes

Default Pirates of the Caribbean

Before some mad hatter moves this thread i would like to inform everyone that this IS an adventure game, and it DOES contain all the elements that create a game labelled ADVENTURE. if it doesn't do that conventionally then maybe the whole genre should be re-analysed.

in this game you fight naval battles, explore jungles, caves, provinces, etc, fight skeletons, pirates, townsfolk, armies, etc, you can shoot unarmed women in the back - nice feature, you can tade, best of all you can get frustrated at how the game gives little or no information on the most complicated of situations in the game. no worries ho, cause there are loads of cheats to be found on many websites and they work too.

this game is fun with cheats because it saves you much beserk confusion when encountering this nightmare, it's worth buying it because you can explore many islands, nice graphics too (not brilliant) plus it's pretty cheap. anyone else played it?

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 07-21-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I think Sea Dogs is still better than it.

I want my Sea Dogs 2, not PotC
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 AM   #3
Party On Dudes

what's sea dogs like? how does it compare?

Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 AM   #4
The Reggienator

A lot like PotC.

But with less bugs, I think.
And it was not tied to any movie license in the last minute of development.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
in this game you fight naval battles, explore jungles, caves, provinces, etc, fight skeletons, pirates, townsfolk, armies, etc, you can shoot unarmed women in the back
Um, okay.

You say "it DOES contain all the elements that create a game labelled ADVENTURE." What about the game makes it feel like an adventure to you? Seriously - I'm curious.

As for shooting unarmed women in the back... great.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
Before some mad hatter moves this thread i would like to inform everyone that this IS an adventure game, and it DOES contain all the elements that create a game labelled ADVENTURE. if it doesn't do that conventionally then maybe the whole genre should be re-analysed.

in this game you fight naval battles, explore jungles, caves, provinces, etc, fight skeletons, pirates, townsfolk, armies, etc, you can shoot unarmed women in the back - nice feature, you can tade, best of all you can get frustrated at how the game gives little or no information on the most complicated of situations in the game. no worries ho, cause there are loads of cheats to be found on many websites and they work too.

this game is fun with cheats because it saves you much beserk confusion when encountering this nightmare, it's worth buying it because you can explore many islands, nice graphics too (not brilliant) plus it's pretty cheap. anyone else played it?
I have Pirates of the Carribean for Pc and I would never ever call it an adventure game? Why? Because there are fights, to much fighting to be an adventure game. And if you mean that you say you can use cheats (like god mode) why don't we start call all games that have cheats witch make you immortal or something like that adventures?
Really, the best explonation for adventure games and non adventure games:
(from Jakes thread)

"Think about the primary goals in other games... In RPG's you level up, clear "dungeons," fight monsters. In FPS and 3rd person action games your goal is to kill monsters, get weapons, and get to the next map. Same with platformers. In RTS's you conquer other armies, nations, planets, or other opposing forces. In a puzzle game your job is, not surprisingly, to solve the puzzles. Etc. In modern incarnations of these genres, story is often present, but it's bolted on as an afterthought to the above primary goals, or as a reward for completing them.

In adventure games this isn't the case. Your goal as a player is to see the story all the way through.

I know that's a pretty wide open definition of adventure games (especially considering it doesn't include the word "puzzle"), but after I said it to Walter I realized that it's at least my personal definition of what an adventure game is.

Think about it. Think about video game cutscenes - you know, full motion video sequences - the non-interactive bits in a game. In every genre except adventure games, the story parts are told in cutscene. They are the parts the player doesn't deal with. In adventure games, the story parts are the only things not in cutscenes. For instance, in traditional old school adventures, whenever a player fires a gun, gets in a fight, even when the main character has to jump, the cutscenes take over. The parts that the player plays in an adventure game are the story bits."
Old 07-21-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
As for shooting unarmed women in the back... great.
Yeah didn't you know? All games you can shoot unarmed womens are adventure games..

Really SCRUGAtes13, how can I be fun shooting innocent people (either if it's women or not)?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak
Yeah didn't you know? All games you can shoot unarmed womens are adventure games..

Really SCRUGAtes13, how can I be fun shooting innocent people (either if it's women or not)?

I've never shot an unarmed woman in an Adventure Game!

...I have however, shot an unarmed Banjo...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've seen an unarmed Rayman shot.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I've seen an unarmed Rayman shot.

-

Old 07-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
capsized.

Well, I'm currently playing Mafia (great game!). And both, the cinematic gameplay *and* the cinematic cutscenes, *are* the story. Kind of. Superb narrative here, so...

Note: You can shoot unarmed women in this one, too. But: You don't have to. I posted about it in general gaming. I didn't have the guts to post it here, er, I mean, I know it isn't an adventure game™ anyway.

Last edited by samIamsad; 07-21-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #12
Party On Dudes

you explore, you discover=adventure

shooting people is a bonus. how can discovery not be adventure? puzzles aren't exactly adventurous are they? so why is shooting unarmed women so unadventurous? have you ever done a puzzle in real life? YES. have you ever shot an innocent/unarmed woman in the back in real life? NO. it's adventurous. Vioula!

Old 07-21-2005, 07:58 AM   #13
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
you explore, you discover=adventure
You just described every game ever published.

Yipee Adventure games rule the planet.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #14
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Aside from Pong .

Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:

Yipee Adventure games rule the planet.

Yay! Lemmings is an Adventure Game!

-

Old 07-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #16
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Aside from Pong .
Admittedly it only explores a small part of the screen, but to that small dash hitting the dot IS AN ADVENTURE
Old 07-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Admittedly it only explores a small part of the screen, but to that small dash hitting the dot IS AN ADVENTURE
We have to admit, it's got some action sequences, but it is stil, and Adventure Game.

-

Old 07-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
The Thread™ will die.

It's also a deep and moving statment on the nature of debate, both political and within this forum. We keep throwing things at each other, and muddle our way through, returning what we can and... losing lives or something...

Ah, forget it. And in some respects Lemmings is like an adventure game - it has a plot (this is dubious), characterisation (if you include the cutscenes from the later games), it's chock-a-block with puzzles and it has the obligatory nasty, timed puzzle resulting in death upon failure...

Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #19
The Reggienator

Pirates of the Caribbean can be quite directly compared with Sid Meier's Pirates, both the original and the new version.

So I forgot to say this earlier, but PotC is not an adventure game. It might have some adventure elements but it's more like a rpg/action adventure.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #20
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Pirates of the Caribbean can be quite directly compared with Sid Meier's Pirates, both the original and the new version.

So I forgot to say this earlier, but PotC is not an adventure game. It might have some adventure elements but it's more like a rpg/action adventure.
No didn't you hear, Pirates of the Carribean and Pirates are adventure games, because you explore them