You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bring Back Space Quest 7 Vugames

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 12:19 AM   #41
The Solomon of Sarcasm

But does hating the concept behind an unreleased game justify giving out its ending?

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #42
Plumber-x company

Send a message via AIM to Filmman Send a message via Yahoo to Filmman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek
But does hating the concept behind an unreleased game justify giving out its ending?

That is true it harts the people who made the Game and Want it to be a secert if someone give the Ending out before the game was out that is no fun playing the Game now
Old 07-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #43
Rogue Agent

Quote:
In my opinion, yes.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #44
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapter11studios
Somebody stole the Space Quest 7 thread. Has anyone seen it? I know it used to be around here somewhere...
Not me! I would love to see some sequels to some classic games as well.

But, the creators of those games are no longer part of a corporate "team". And the corporations that own the rights to the characters have little interest in selling them.

How LSL MCL slipped through the cracks is a mystery to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #45
Plumber-x company

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
Not me! I would love to see some sequels to some classic games as well.

But, the creators of those games are no longer part of a corporate "team". And the corporations that own the rights to the characters have little interest in selling them.

How LSL MCL slipped through the cracks is a mystery to me.
The poeple how are making The Space Quest 7 is fans not Vugames Rtooney
Old 07-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #46
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
In my opinion, yes.
Did they give you permission to give out the ending to their unreleased work? If not, you are not only unjustified, but also prosecutable under the law (now that Sierra has been disbanded).

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-14-2005, 08:53 PM   #47
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemelChelovek
Did they give you permission to give out the ending to their unreleased work? If not, you are not only unjustified, but also prosecutable under the law (now that Sierra has been disbanded).
This is being blown way out of proportion. Give the guy a break.

And I highly doubt there's a law against revealing the ending of a piece of fanfic that's based on someone else's copyrighted characters to begin with.

Last edited by fov; 07-14-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:45 AM   #48
Plumber-x company

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
This is being blown way out of proportion. Give the guy a break.

And I highly doubt there's a law against revealing the ending of a piece of fanfic that's based on someone else's copyrighted characters to begin with.
True
Old 07-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #49
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmman
R. W. did not Die He lives all around with Space Quest fans That why we care about Roger Wilco And the space quest series
Oh come on, I've been playing Space Quest before you were born.

The only way I would care about Space Quest at this point if Mark Crowe and Scott Murphy were both going to come back and do the original design for the next game and not cheap it up with "multiplayer action."

I know that's kind of being "adventure gamer purist," which usually isn't me, but I think the final game that ties up a few loose ends would be out of context with the series and ideas before it if it's gameplay were changed and made "more appealing to the mass market."

And Roger Wilco isn't a real person, you weirdos.

Last edited by syntheticgerbil; 07-15-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #50
Plumber-x company

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticgerbil

The only way I would care about Space Quest at this point if Mark Crowe and Scott Murphy were both going to come back and do the original design for the next game and not cheap it up with "multiplayer action."

I know that's kind of being "adventure gamer purist," which usually isn't me, but I think the final game that ties up a few loose ends would be out of context with the series and ideas before it if it's gameplay were changed and made "more appealing to the mass market."

Syntheticgerbil We know he is not a Real poerson but he family to was because he is a Real hero because he made has think that Adventure games are the best every.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #51
Epinionated.

Quote:

The Space Quests ended with 3 for me. Mainly because the rest were beyond my then rubbish CGA computer, but also because, well, the style didn't suit the series in any way whatsoever. I tried them out (naughtily) recently, and the humour and character of the series dissappated after the fourth.

You COULD do a new Space Quest, and any concessions to action would be fine by me as they had action sequences in them any way. I'd hate to see it completely as an action title, but it'd be fantastic as I'm sure the Two Guys would subvert a lot of the popular sci fi and games titles throughout. Space Quest never limited itself - SQ3 being the strongest in art direction and games design, marred by a few unwise sequences.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #52
Plumber-x company

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
The Space Quests ended with 3 for me. Mainly because the rest were beyond my then rubbish CGA computer, but also because, well, the style didn't suit the series in any way whatsoever. I tried them out (naughtily) recently, and the humour and character of the series dissappated after the fourth.

You COULD do a new Space Quest, and any concessions to action would be fine by me as they had action sequences in them any way. I'd hate to see it completely as an action title, but it'd be fantastic as I'm sure the Two Guys would subvert a lot of the popular sci fi and games titles throughout. Space Quest never limited itself - SQ3 being the strongest in art direction and games design, marred by a few unwise sequences.
The Space Quest ended with me all 6 for me. Because I ove all 6 space quest they are funny and humor in the series but my best space quest game will goto Space Quest 3 with Art Direction and games design I love to see a neverSpace quest game and make is all 7 but I love Space Quest 1-6 series
when Space quest 7 come out I am going to be the first one to going to play Space quest 7
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #53
Banned User

Quote:
Well I was alluding more to converting Space Quest 7 into a multiplayer action game as originally planned. But even full blown platform game just kind of wouldn't make sense as much as just throwing in a few action/arcade sequences as done since the beginning.

And I thought Space Quest 5 was the strongest in art direction seeing as how it was designed and directed only by Mark Crowe, the sole artist from Space Quest 3, the first two, and the first Leisure Suit Larry. But I also didn't play 3 until way after I had played 1, 2, and 4.

But Space Quest 5's animation and character design gets kind of screwed over when playing it on newer computers because of timer bugs messing up... the timing, but I'm not too sure if Space Quest 3's was more appealing to you because of backgrounds or not, Squarejaw. I found Space Quest 3's gameplay kind of nonsensical and I thought it was too short. But I guess I enjoy Space Quest 4 and most people hate that one, so my opinion doesn't really count.

Quote:
The Space Quest ended with me all 6 for me. Because I ove all 6 space quest they are funny and humor in the series but my best space quest game will goto Space Quest 3 with Art Direction and games design I love to see a neverSpace quest game and make is all 7 but I love Space Quest 1-6 series
when Space quest 7 come out I am going to be the first one to going to play Space quest 7
I feel like Space Quest more or less ended at five, because six was a design mess between Scott Murphy and Josh Mandel, and the gameplay was pretty stale compared to the others with puzzles overused by adventuregames by that point, while introducing way too many plot twists. The only thing it really had was better animation. (Not counting that 3D stuff)
Old 07-15-2005, 10:54 AM   #54
Plumber-x company

Quote:
Well I was alluding more to converting Space Quest 7 into a multiplayer action game as originally planned. But even full blown platform game just kind of wouldn't make sense as much as just throwing in a few action/arcade sequences as done since the beginning.

And I thought Space Quest 5 was the strongest in art direction seeing as how it was designed and directed only by Mark Crowe, the sole artist from Space Quest 3, the first two, and the first Leisure Suit Larry. But I also didn't play 3 until way after I had played 1, 2, and 4.

But Space Quest 5's animation and character design gets kind of screwed over when playing it on newer computers because of timer bugs messing up... the timing, but I'm not too sure if Space Quest 3's was more appealing to you because of backgrounds or not, Squarejaw. I found Space Quest 3's gameplay kind of nonsensical and I thought it was too short. But I guess I enjoy Space Quest 4 and most people hate that one, so my opinion doesn't really count.

I feel like Space Quest more or less ended at five, because six was a design mess between Scott Murphy and Josh Mandel, and the gameplay was pretty stale compared to the others with puzzles overused by adventuregames by that point, while introducing way too many plot twists. The only thing it really had was better animation. (Not counting that 3D stuff)

That is true syntheticgerbil why do they have to put 3D stuff in the game just use 2D in game be more better then 3D
Old 07-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #55
Banned User

Quote:
That is true syntheticgerbil why do they have to put 3D stuff in the game just use 2D in game be more better then 3D
Well it's not so much the problem with 3D graphics itself, because Space Quest 5 did use a few prerendered 3D things also, but I thought it looked gorgeous.

I found it was really awkward and unbalanced in Space Quest 6, as it was a new thing back then and I think it was just stuck in to sell more games. (Which I don't think worked) Also the 3D in the game just moved really slow, as if it was constantly trying to say, "Look at us! Were brand new pre-rendered polygons from the future! Forget the game, check out hyperspace travel in 3d!!!"
Old 07-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #56
Plumber-x company

Quote:
Well it's not so much the problem with 3D graphics itself, because Space Quest 5 did use a few prerendered 3D things also, but I thought it looked gorgeous.

I found it was really awkward and unbalanced in Space Quest 6, as it was a new thing back then and I think it was just stuck in to sell more games. (Which I don't think worked) Also the 3D in the game just moved really slow, as if it was constantly trying to say, "Look at us! Were brand new pre-rendered polygons from the future! Forget the game, check out hyperspace travel in 3d!!!"
That is right syntheticgerbil Why do they Put 3D Graphics in Space Quest 6 that is just Stupid.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #57
Epinionated.

@Gerbilism - I dunno, after 1+2, 3 continued the art style whilst updating the game. The BG's were lovely and full of incidental detail, I enjoyed the characters and the clever use of knowing asides, just it felt like a great game. And still does.

The others I just can't get over the rendering of Wilco. The universe lost its mysticism to me.

That said, I'd love to see a well designed 3D update of the SQ's. I know someone is trying to do it using the D3 engine, but I'm not sure it'll work. A new SQ, maybe not called "7" but something else (the franchise is old now, remember), and avoiding the LSL:MCL scatalogical approach to gameplay, could be fantastic. There's a hole needs filling, and that's crazy space shenanigans spoofing stuff and starring a lowly hero with a mop.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #58
Rogue Agent

Personally, I think the whole series is fine the way it is, aside from all the timer bugs in SQs 4, 5 and 6. SQ3 appears to be a fan favorite, although I prefer SQ6 and SQ5. As to adding multiplayer, action and arcade sequences, here's my thoughts on each: Multiplayer wouldn't really add anything to the series. SQ was designed as a single-player game, and it should remain that way. The only way I can see to integrate multiplayer into Space Quest would be somthething similar to those games where it's just one big online game where you are character x whose occupation is y and who interacts with everyone else online. Sheer stupidity to make this into a Space Quest game. On action sequences, I feel that they've never really belonged in adventure games and unless you want something like KQ: MoE, except with SQ, than you'll understand that action shouldn't go in SQ. As to arcade sequences, I have absolutely no problem with these, as long as the story isn't drowned in it. SQs 1, 3, 4, and 6 all had arcade sequences of some sort. And what is it that people don't like about SQ6's graphics? I liked the 3D look that they used.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:00 PM   #59
Codger

Quote:
That said, I'd love to see a well designed 3D update of the SQ's.
I've been reading the thread from the beginning. I'm just curious why people assume that the owners of the SQ name would license it. It certainaly isn't a guaranteed. And, without the license, it isn't going to happen.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #60
Plumber-x company

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney
I've been reading the thread from the beginning. I'm just curious why people assume that the owners of the SQ name would license it. It certainaly isn't a guaranteed. And, without the license, it isn't going to happen.
THe owner are Vugames and they do have the License for it because Sierra give the Space Quest series to Vugames