You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What's wrong with "The Dig"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #1

Default What's wrong with "The Dig"?

I've been digging around for all the old lucasarts games since I'm only 15 and I missed out on them. I wanted them all since they all seem like such classics including escape from monkey island. However accidently I came across the one lucasarts adventure game I never heard of "the dig" and it seems to have gotten a mix of good and bad reviews. I was wondering if you think that I should also get this on top of every other lucasarts adventure game released or if I should just skip this and pretend it doesn't exist?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #2

I would definately recomend The Dig! It think the only reason it sometimes gets a bad rap is because it doesnt share the same kind of sesne of humor as the rest of Lucas Arts games. It's a bit more serious, and by that I just mean not intended to be funny. It plays out a bit like a typical summer sci-fi movie.

If you like adventure games then you'll be missing out by skipping this one. If nothing else, I really like Michael Land's music for this game. Give it a shot just for that!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #3

Yes, The Dig is amazing. I would reccomend it too, as it's my favourite Lucasarts adventure. It is quite serious, but is very high on style and atmosphere. Just don't go into expecting Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle and you'll love it.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
Yes, The Dig is amazing. I would reccomend it too, as it's my favourite Lucasarts adventure. It is quite serious, but is very high on style and atmosphere. Just don't go into expecting Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle and you'll love it.
While I'm at it I was wondering if I missed any of the lucasarts games So far I know of: monkey island 1-4, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, The Dig, Sam and Max: Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, and Indiana jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:13 PM   #5

Okay, you're missing:

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom

...I'm pretty sure those are the only ones you're missing. Of course, I was always a Sierra buff, so I'd appreciate if any Lucasarts fanboys could come correct me if I'm wrong... And come slander The Dig if you want too
Old 07-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #6

He is also missing Labyrinth. It's been out of print for ages, no one ever speaks of it and I'm not sure if there is even a PC version, but it still exists. Or so the legends say...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanze
While I'm at it I was wondering if I missed any of the lucasarts games So far I know of: monkey island 1-4, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, The Dig, Sam and Max: Hit the Road, Day of the Tentacle, and Indiana jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
After you're done those you may want to check out the really old ones: Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Loom.

As for The Dig, I do think it gets an unfair rap sometimes but I do find the acting not so good (especially compared to all other LucasArts games) and some of the puzzles insane. Other than that, really good game. It's also got a really interesting development history that you may want to read up on.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
He is also missing Labyrinth. It's been out of print for ages, no one ever speaks of it and I'm not sure if there is even a PC version, but it still exists. Or so the legends say...
There is an Apple, MSX and C64 version.
Thanks to freddie from LucasArts Museum, I got a C64 one finally about a month ago.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
Banned User

I found the dig scary when it wasn't boring.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:17 AM   #10
Fulci lives

The Dig had really difficult puzzles.The game takes place on a alienworld, so alot of the puzzles you have to solve are really far fetched and hard to figure out.
That´s the biggest gripe i´ve had with the game.
Aside from that it´s classic Lucasarts goodness.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:32 AM   #11

Yes, the Dig is perfect...

So, people didn't like it because of the lack of humor? that's a first. What I didn't like were the graphics. Without being bad, they were the worst element of the whole game. And they were a bit outdated, related to the other hi-res games.

But anyway I really didn't miss either!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 04:03 AM   #12
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Oh yeah, The Dig is great. Hmm... Didn't they do a novelization, or the game was based on a novel? Either way, if a novel exists, could anyone tell me if it was read worthy? (Don't worry if its out of print, I've a knack for finding OOP stuff on the 'net).

SW
- And while its really not an adventure, there is Indiana Jones & the (dag-nabbit) Infernal Machine. It shares some elements of the FOA game, but overall its not all that great (and has a lousy title! Why not IJ & the Tower of Babel? Jeez!)
Old 07-09-2005, 04:05 AM   #13
gin soaked boy

I didn't think the graphics looked bad. In fact, the backgrounds are still gorgeous. So they're low res, so what?
Old 07-09-2005, 04:18 AM   #14
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Oh yeah, The Dig is great. Hmm... Didn't they do a novelization, or the game was based on a novel? Either way, if a novel exists, could anyone tell me if it was read worthy? (Don't worry if its out of print, I've a knack for finding OOP stuff on the 'net).
I read the novel, it is loosely based on the game unlike GK novels which seem like walk throughs, it is definitely worth reading, you learn a lot more about the world. The game is wonderful, one of the great adventure games.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I didn't think the graphics looked bad. In fact, the backgrounds are still gorgeous. So they're low res, so what?
And ScummVM makes them even more gorgeous.
Yes, the Dig is a great game, as are most Lucas Arts games.

Among those you haven't played, Lanze, Loom is the best I think...
Old 07-09-2005, 05:21 AM   #16
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I enjoyed The Dig - the graphics weren't great, but mostly it didn't matter. The one thing I truly disliked was the characters - what an egotistical bunch! Overall it was fun, and the puzzles were tough, but mostly fair. I'm not usually one for space quest kind of games but his was different and definitely better.

LYnsie
Old 07-09-2005, 05:39 AM   #17
pain is love

Definitely not my favourite LA game, but a "must play" none the less.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-09-2005, 05:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Low
So, people didn't like it because of the lack of humor? that's a first.
I had no problem with the lack of humor, I have a problem with how the characters portrayed "drama."
Old 07-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
After you're done those you may want to check out the really old ones: Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Loom.

As for The Dig, I do think it gets an unfair rap sometimes but I do find the acting not so good (especially compared to all other LucasArts games) and some of the puzzles insane. Other than that, really good game. It's also got a really interesting development history that you may want to read up on.
Forgive me for asking but doesnt Maniac Mansion come with day of the tentacle?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanze
Forgive me for asking but doesnt Maniac Mansion come with day of the tentacle?
The other way around actually

EDIT: oh, and the Dig has my vote for best LucasArts game after Grim Fandango. I got hooked 5 seconds in the opening animation. An increadible intro, beautifull music, *great* voice acting and dialogue. The script is a bit cliché, true, but everything else more than makes up for it. Besides I think that's the charm of it, you really feel you're in some science fiction movie.

Last edited by EvilMulder; 07-09-2005 at 09:03 AM.