You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Day of the Tentacle. This game is HARD.

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #1

Day of the Tentacle. This game is HARD.

I never played this game until recently, and while I think the game is pretty amazing. I think the puzzles are way too hard. I don't know if I am kinda lost in what I'm doing, or if they really don't give you any clues to anything. I have used a faq a few times to get further in the game, but when I do, I really didn't see myself getting the puzzle anyway. It's definately the hardest adventure game I've ever played. Anyone else find it too hard?

05-20-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
SamNMax

The puzzles' style insn't going to please everyone. Most of them require you to think like a cartoon character. But, really, that's the genious of it.

05-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Elegantly copy+pasted

It wasn't too difficult when I played it as a kid, and that was in the days before walkthroughs. I think the game hints at the solution for pretty much every puzzle, if you're observant.

You do need to wrap your brain around the game's twisted logic, though. Everything does make sense, but only if you're thinking like a cartoon.

Out of interest, what other adventure games have you played that were easier than DOTT?

05-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #4

This is probably the hardest adventure game I've ever played. I've played plenty. Maybe I'm just not thinking straight. I don't know! It's hard!

05-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #5
gin soaked boy

I don't know, DOTT is one of the few adventures I managed to complete without taking a peek at the walkthrough.

05-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #6

Maybe I'm just not looking at it right. Who knows. A lot of people thought Runaway was really hard, and I beat that with pretty much no problems.

05-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Runaway is a lot harder than DOTT, IMO.

05-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #8
I needed a dare

That's because of pixel hunting..and stupid bucket puzzles

05-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #9

See, a lot of people said Runaway is really hard. It was part of the reason it got just average reviews. I didn't think it was very hard at all, and I never once found myself pixel hunting. DOTT on the other hand, is so hard for me. It's kinda strange. I didn't think it was too hard at first, and then it got ridiculously hard for me, and the puzzles seem like they don't make any sense. It's still very good, but it just seems too hard. I'm the only one who seems to feel this way, so I guess I'm wrong! Like I said, I am still enjoying it!

05-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
• Legendary Adventurer •

Maybe you need more patience...Trying to do everything fast and furious (>_<) in an AG is the last thing you should do..
Whenever you feel that way, stay back from your PC and do something else or you will end up RUIN it...There's no point at finishing such an AMAZING AG with a Walkthrough...
Just be patience.

05-20-2005, 11:09 PM   #11
thegumchewingwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
You do need to wrap your brain around the game's twisted logic, though.

i believe that's true for about every 9 out of 10 adventure games - at least for the ones that ive played. the other one is usually either genuinely hard, or just plain crap (ie. nothing makes sense!!).

-sandra

05-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #12

While I dont remember having any trouble with this one I do know that it is one of around 30 adventures to ranked a 5 in difficulty. 5 was the highest. I wish I remember the link.

05-21-2005, 02:09 AM   #13

I agree with w00sh.. this lil' sucka is difficult!

05-21-2005, 02:39 AM   #14

I think the only problem I had with the game was

Spoiler:
The cat under the fence puzzle

The rest was pretty logical in a multiple-time-zone kind way. Still my favourite video-game ever.

05-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30

Spoiler:

The rest was pretty logical in a multiple-time-zone kind way. Still my favourite video-game ever.
Funny, the only time I had to use external help was with
Spoiler:
the cat and the two beds.

05-21-2005, 05:32 AM   #16
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

I finished DOTT without any walkthroughs or hints or stuff in about 4 days. I didn't think it was too hard, Sam & Max (which I got in a double pack) was harder in my opinion (not by too much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30

Spoiler:

Although I solved that puzzle by accident As for Runaway, BAH pixel hunting, "OH M GOD I can't get my hands dirty in mud" puzzles.

05-21-2005, 07:58 AM   #17
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Funny, the only time I had to use external help was with
Spoiler:
the cat and the two beds.
Yeah, that's the only one I had trouble with, but luckily, I solved it by accidentally clicking on the right spot.

05-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #18
cows are my friends...

The only thing I had to look up for DoTT was

Spoiler:
When you have to close the door of the sleeping guy to find the keys to the car trunk. I knew I had to get the crowbar from the theif, but I couldn't find the damn keys. So obvious, now.

05-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #19
• Legendary Adventurer •

By the way, what is that you call pixel hunting??...
I don't like to make short posts but I'm VERY curious..

05-21-2005, 12:02 PM   #20

I got stuck on the same puzzles as everyone else, along with several others. I played Sam and Max and beat it with no problem. I really haven't got stuck much on any games, which is why I don't understand how everyone is saying DOTT is easy, and they had no problem with it. I just don't think a lot of the puzzles are logical. They are once you've done them, but there really is no hints on what you're supposed to do half the time. I guess it is a thing with patience. I just don't have the time to sit around for 5 hours trying to figure out a puzzle anymore. I think the only adventure game I've played that is harder is Discworld.