You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Research for new indie adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 03:44 AM   #1

Default Research for new indie adventure game

Hello,

Jagged Blade Software is currently interested in moving away from shooter type games into the adventure market. We have a small budget, and we are not aiming for anything spectacular, but we definitely think we can make something of high quality. We doubt we will be making anything with any fighting or direct violence in it, rather more of a puzzle/exploration/story based point and click type game.

We would like to know what type of adventure game people who visit this site prefer. Our current thinking is something with a dark/horror plot to it (as that is what we like), but we understand we could be losing a substantial market of people who are not into that particular scene.

So, which of these do you like most? If possible give the order of preference.

1. Dark/Horror/Supernatural/Psychotic
2. Crime Based Mystery
3. Classic Fantasy
4. Original Fantasy (something completely unique like the premise of Myst)
5. Other (please describe)

Thank you very much,

Jagged Blade Software Game Downloads
Old 01-31-2005, 03:51 AM   #2
Your average crooner

Humor and adventure based in nowadays facts.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:35 AM   #3
Puts the 'e' in Mark

There's a lot of dark/horror adventure games out there right now. So I recommend to either make the most amazing dark/horror game ever, or to focus on a genre that isn't as overexploited.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:47 AM   #4

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ght=historical

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh, and I like all kinds of settings. Ultimately, I don't believe it makes any difference.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
furryyellowthing

Send a message via Yahoo to BoyToy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexic
We would like to know what type of adventure game people who visit this site prefer. Our current thinking is something with a dark/horror plot to it (as that is what we like), but we understand we could be losing a substantial market of people who are not into that particular scene.
[...]
I guess, you're most likely to reach me, if you make something that you like, something that you have enthusiasm for. Because such things show in the finished product. </soapbox>
Old 01-31-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I'm personally a sucker for stories that manage to weave themselves into popular/obscure myths from human history. An example would be Broken Sword I or the Gabriel Knight games.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #7

Humor involving pirates, islands and primates.

Or humor involving Mammals that act like people
Old 01-31-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyToy
I guess, you're most likely to reach me, if you make something that you like, something that you have enthusiasm for. Because such things show in the finished product. </soapbox>
I'd have to agree with this.

I'm having a hard time answering the question because I really don't care which of those categories a game fits into, as long as it has a strong story that is well executed and supported by the game world.

-emily
Old 01-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #9

I think we need a new game set in Atlantis, Ancient Egypt, or something that's about the Knights Templars.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #10

"I guess, you're most likely to reach me, if you make something that you like, something that you have enthusiasm for. Because such things show in the finished product." Posted by Boy Toy

This sums up my feelings as well. That being said, to be engaging, a storyline needs to be relatively serious and internally realistic to the game world, that is the game characters need to be serious in regards to their world and what they are attempting to accomplish. The problem comes up when attempting to introduce humour into a game, a little bit can go a long way, and its easy to overdo. Monkey Island and most of the Lucas Arts stuff turned me off due to the bad puns and dumb jokes; it was just corny and I found it impossible to temporarily suspend disbelief and take the plot/storyline seriously. For me at least, this ruins the ability to immerse oneself in the gameworld. A bit of wry, reserved humour when appropriate a la Gabriel Knight is one thing but CORNINESS IS FATAL!!

Antoinetta
Old 01-31-2005, 02:26 PM   #11

Thank you for your responses, they have been most helpful. When I made this post I thought to myself "if crime solving came out on top I stilll wouldn't do it". I guess this sums up the fact we couldn't possibly comitting ourselves to a genre we are no interested or experienced in.

It seems we will go for a Dark/Horror game, but also we will try to open up the market a little by not making it totally scary. Also we will most likely try to come up with some areas and situations that are not revolved around negatives. I think Saniturium was a great example of how this could work, and will definitely be one of my main inspirations for the project.

Great now all we have to do is make the game! Easy huh?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #12

1. Classic style ( like Syberia )
2. Humor & animated cartoon (like Runaway)
Old 02-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #13

How will the graphics be?(not that it matters)

I hope is 3d characters, with 2Dprerendered backgrounds.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #14
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minelli
1. Classic style ( like Syberia )
2. Humor & animated cartoon (like Runaway)
Isn't Runaway a more "classic" style?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Oh no he is purple

Send a message via MSN to Nude

I like Crime Based Mystery games more than others
Old 02-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #16
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

I'm gonna be greedy and say a good mix of all of those aforementioned would entice me.

But seriously, I feel you should go with whatever you feel you can work with the best. My feeling is that if you have a strong interest in a particular field, and you put something together under that heading, then the chances are, we will see your best work. If you feel you will work better with a dark/horror title, then by God, roll with it.

All that is left for me to say is, I wish you the very best with completing this game, and I look forward to hearing more from you guys in the future.

Good luck.

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:10 AM   #17

I will buy any point and click humor, cartoonish game. I cant remember not ever buying one of these games.

I adored Runaway simply because I had'nt seen anything like it for years.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #18
Pixelhunter

I think that any of these would interest me:

1) Fantasy (wizards, dragons, and stuff)
2) Supernatural (reality with add-ons)
3) Maybe a game that takes place in Asia? (not sure why I thought of that)

If they have the looks of Syberia or Runaway doesn't matter, but I only care for 3rd person adventures! :-)
Old 02-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #19
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

You could do a parody of dark/horror. Kill several birds with one stone. There are ways of doing it where it retains a high degree of darkness and horror, while still poking fun at the genre. Take a look at the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness movies.

Well, the first Evil Dead wasn't meant to be funny, but it was hilarious whenever Ash would get showered in blood/gore so many times, sometimes for the littlest thing.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:45 AM   #20
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

Please, anything BUT Dark/Horror/Supernatural/Psychotic.

If it's a comedy though, but not too smug, I'd be intrested.