You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Martin Mystère - Impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 03:44 AM   #1
Evil Webmaster

Default Martin Mystère - Impressions

I didn't post this in the 'review' section cause it's not exactly a review, I didn't play it enough to do that, so I'm just giving you my first impressions, since more than one people here seemed to be interested in that game.

First things first: this is an italian game, done by Artematica, the same guys who brought you the rather horrible Druuna: Morbus Gravis a few years ago. They've been busy doing some platform for children, and now they're back. The game sells at a very low price here, in a dvd case with an introductory comic (wow, like Gabriel Knight!) and a manual.

Graphics: the pictures I saw on magazines and websites looked like 'Broken Sword 3 with bigger characters', but I'm sorry to say I was wrong. What we have here is 3d characters on 2d backgrounds. Well, those backgrounds are absolutely fine, really good and detailed but I can't say the same about the characters. They end up being a rather blocky affair and they are not graphically accelerated. So think of the graphics as a '2002 meets 1999' style, mixed bag I would say.

Sound: of course I tried the italian version, which was dubbed by the same good guys who dubbed Syberia 1 & 2, Versailles, Mafia and most Microids and Cryo games. From what I heard it's fine, but I don't think it matters that much, since obviously the english version is gonna be different. Music was done by the violinist of PFM (a rather old and famous italian prog band) and it sure suits the game well, great jazzy/atmospheric tracks.

Gameplay: I'll start by saying that I absoutely loved the many many objects you can look at. There's hundreds of things to look at, but unfortunately this does get boring after a while. Mainly because you can't do much with objects, except looking at 'em and maybe pick 'em up (the only other action available is 'talk') and... descriptions are NOT spoken. That's right, the great old 'italian games are cheap' thing, since this was obviously done to save on dubbing prices and to make the game fit on a cd. Maybe they will add voices to the english version, but I seriously doubt it. Then of course, the descriptions that our dear old Martin gives us are seldom wrong (as in 'grammatically and ortographically' wrong), which really depressed me. It almost seemed like they were TRANSLATING the game from english to italian, which is clearly not the case. Then I almost immediately found a missing phrase, which was also more depressing. The few puzzles I played are rather straightforward 'find the object' affairs, you have to look around Martin's house and find his bearings to get out. Fun, I would say, not exactly the best puzzles I've ever played but for a start they were good. The reviews say that the rest of the puzzles are like that, inventory-related, the few logic puzzles involve machinery and they depressed lots of reviewers

I can say nothing more since I played it only an hour, it wasn't my copy of the game, so I'm going out to buy it today and will definitely play it more. Price of the game here is 20€ (26$, 14 GBP) and if it's sold that cheap also in other countries, I'd recommend it to people who are eager to try some more Broken Sword-like adventures.

(p.s I can't comment on the main character since I never read those comics, but who did read 'em says it's quite faithful to the original)
So there you go
Old 12-13-2004, 04:57 AM   #2
pain is love

Nice to know MDM, it still can't be bought here, but I'll definitely get this one. After all, I am a fan

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Adventure Collector

Where can I buy the game online? I live in the US and from what I understand the game is released only in Europe, right?
Old 12-13-2004, 02:59 PM   #4
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVENTURE-RAIDER
Where can I buy the game online? I live in the US and from what I understand the game is released only in Europe, right?
I've looked it up and you're right. I couldn't even find the US release date. But it can be bought off any UK online shop and the official site, so my guess is you should try to find out if any of them would ship in the US. The price is from 25 - 30 £. MAybe other people here can give you more info.

by_100ja
Old 12-14-2004, 01:40 AM   #5
Evil Webmaster

Right now I don't think there are plans to release it outside of Europe; Play.com has it due for release on the 29th of April 2005 and that's all I know. I figure that if it will sell well, maybe they will think about releasing it also in the US. Anyway, for now I'd say the english version isn't done yet, so wait until it is is released and then start looking for it on eBay or other sites such as Gameplay.co.uk
So there you go
Old 12-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
Banned User

Sorry MD but your review doesn t give me the need to play it, even if it was free
Old 12-15-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
Evil Webmaster

Once again, do I need to point out that this is NOT a review? I did NOT play the game enough to review it, those are just first impressions given by an hour of play at a friend's house. So, if someone was planning to buying/trying/whatevering it, take my impressions as... impressions. Also, I didn't post this to urge anybody to go out and buy this game, I'm not getting any money out of Artematica, actually it was I who gave 'em money just yesterday by buying the game. I just thought I'd post something since there are no english previews around, as far as I know, so maybe I could fill in someone interested in the game. That is all, I'm quite happy you're saving your money Leonard, please feel free to give it to poor children. They deserve it better than Artematica. Thank you.

Coming again on topic, I bought the game yesterday and I'd say the whole package really feels like an old adventure. Maybe it's the comic book, maybe it's the hidden code (that's right, hidden), maybe the manual that acts as a newspaper... but I loved the package. I'm gonna try the game soon and maybe post a review, if I have enough time.

EDIT:

The manual introduction mentions something about the game being distributed in the USA too. Hmm.
So there you go
Old 12-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
I'm gonna try the game soon and maybe post a review, if I have enough time.
You do that, I for one would want to read it.

by_100ja
Old 12-16-2004, 08:36 AM   #9
Adventure Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
I've looked it up and you're right. I couldn't even find the US release date. But it can be bought off any UK online shop and the official site, so my guess is you should try to find out if any of them would ship in the US. The price is from 25 - 30 £. MAybe other people here can give you more info.
I ordered the game, too. Can't wait!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:58 AM   #10
Evil Webmaster

I'm playing it still and have found some new bugs (not showstopping ones but still it's not professional at all), so I'd really like people to understand that this game can't, by all means, be judged along the lines of other famous adventure games like Broken Sword. Instead, you have to keep in mind that this was meant as a budget game, it took only a year in the making and it's quite far from being perfect.

If you keep that in mind you'll have a great time, I'm sure. The plot is starting to come together and locations are interesting, if maybe a bit too much filled with objects. Stay tuned for a full review soon.
So there you go
Old 12-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #11
Adventure Collector

Quote:
I'm playing it still and have found some new bugs (not showstopping ones but still it's not professional at all), so I'd really like people to understand that this game can't, by all means, be judged along the lines of other famous adventure games like Broken Sword. Instead, you have to keep in mind that this was meant as a budget game, it took only a year in the making and it's quite far from being perfect.

If you keep that in mind you'll have a great time, I'm sure. The plot is starting to come together and locations are interesting, if maybe a bit too much filled with objects. Stay tuned for a full review soon.
Are you playing the English or Italian Language version?
Old 12-21-2004, 03:15 AM   #12
Evil Webmaster

Since the english version is not out yet, I'm playing the italian one; for once I can buy a game here and own the 'original' version
So there you go
Old 12-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #13
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

Quote:
Music was done by the violinist of PFM (a rather old and famous italian prog band) and it sure suits the game well, great jazzy/atmospheric tracks.

Wow! Premiata Forneria Marconi made the soundtrack? Great band! Wow.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #14

I sure hope it gets released here, in the US.

Or atleast Europe.. so i can import it looks great
Old 12-27-2004, 07:30 AM   #15
Headbanger

This game was mentioned on TV here and you got to see short pieces of it. I had never heard of it and I nearly screamed like a girl when I saw it. Do anyone have any more information about it?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:45 PM   #16
Evil Webmaster

What exactly do you wanna know? I have it and I'm currently playing it (if that wasn't clear), so ask away.
So there you go
Old 12-29-2004, 10:03 AM   #17

Quote:
I didn't post this in the 'review' section cause it's not exactly a review, I didn't play it enough to do that, so I'm just giving you my first impressions, since more than one people here seemed to be interested in that game.
I have to say it does look quite interesting, you sound dissappointed though.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #18
Evil Webmaster

Well, I don't know exactly what I was expecting from Martin Mystère, but I'm sure disappointed when a game shows potential and then it loses itself on the most stupid things. But italian games are famous for wasting potential, and Martin Mystére does just that, perfectly, so maybe I shouldn't be disappointed that much. I'm progressing slowly through it (mainly cause I have other games to play) and although I find it a bit too much linear (like BS2) I confirm the 7/10 I was going to give it.
Once again, it is not a bad game at all, just be ready to scratch your head in frustration a few times. I really DO hope they're gonna correct the grammar and spelling mistakes once they release it in english.
So there you go
Old 12-30-2004, 11:51 AM   #19
Headbanger

What is the game about (the story)?
Old 01-02-2005, 05:12 AM   #20
Evil Webmaster

If you know the subtitle (Operation Dorian Gray), you can imagine the history is about youth and the key to eternal life. Specifically, it's about a precolombian civilization discovering the relationship between the soul and the body, so how to effectively keep on living after the body has died, trasferring the soul to another vessel. It all starts with a murder, I'm not gonna tell anything else, that is just the beginning.
So there you go