You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #1

Default Myst

How many Myst games are there? Are the games worth buying?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Codger

I think there are five, at last count, but I could be wrong. I stopped counting at three.

You should probably play the original just to say that you've played it. I didn't like any of the sequels, which is why I stopped counting at three. If you decide to play the original, make sure you get a later version that will play on your system. The original most likely will not.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

4, soon to be 5, plus Uru.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:54 PM   #4
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection
How many Myst games are there? Are the games worth buying?
Yes. Riven is, simply put, one of the best designed games ever created.

Myst is a series of games you'll find has heated advocates and haters within the community. I'm firmly in the advocate group.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #5
SamNMax

I have mixed feelings. Not into the puzzles, but great visuals are pretty much worth the purchase.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Squonk

What is this Myst? Is it an adventure game? How much shooting does it have?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #7
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

I played Myst once when I was young, I was instantly bored with tiring puzzles. Maybe I didn't give it a chance, but how could I handle playing such an badly lit, dark enviroment-filled game.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #8

Myst V is soon to be released. Then there is Uru, a sort of branching off of the main Myst line of games. Then there is RealMyst, a 3D version of the original Myst. The first three Myst games were recently re-released on DVD, and if you are going to get the games, I would heartily recommend this version. The graphics are better, and, especially with Riven, the DVD eliminates constant disk-swapping. In my opinion, Riven is the best game EVER made (at least of the 150+ games I have played), but the endless disk swapping on the CD version every time you go from island to island was a MAJOR pain in the Ass.

Antoinetta
Old 08-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Squarejaw is correct: Myst tends to polarize people's opinions.
In it's day, the original Myst was the best-selling computer game of all time, and it's high sales figures ushered in what some consider to be the "Golden Age" of adventure games.
The Myst series does require a slightly higher than average level of mechanical aptitude, but nothing extraordinary.
Antionetta is also correct: Constantly swapping CDs in Riven is a huge pain, so the recently-released 10th Anniversary DVD Edition of the first three games is well worth the price if you're DVD-ROM equipped, plus it has a much-improved version of the original Myst.
If your current system is not DVD-capable, the first three games in the series are widely available used for very little money. Riven and Myst III-Exile are multi-platform, but the original came in separate versions for Mac, DOS, Windows, and Panasonic 3DO formats, so make sure the copy you buy is the one you need.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 08-02-2005, 12:14 AM   #10

Ignore the people who don't like the Myst series. It's worth playing.

I'm not saying this because they're wrong... far from it. I can definitely understand why some people hate these games, and really I only enjoy Riven and parts of Exile. But they're so important in the history of the genre, and so carefully crafted, that they're worth playing anyway. The fact that I don't like the original game at all doesn't change the fact that all adventure fans should play it at least once, and since opinions vary so wildly, my opinions will probably differ from yours anyway.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinetta
The graphics are better, and, especially with Riven, the DVD eliminates constant disk-swapping. In my opinion, Riven is the best game EVER made (at least of the 150+ games I have played), but the endless disk swapping on the CD version every time you go from island to island was a MAJOR pain in the Ass.
If you do the maximum installation of Riven, then copy the contents of the Data folders on the Riven CD's to the Data folder that is inside the Riven folder on your hard drive, you won't have the swapping and can play without the CD's. Back when the game came out, I don't think hard drives were large enough to do this.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #12

What the other said. There are 4 Myst games, all of them worth it.
I have a special fondness for Myst 4, but Riven (DVD) is probably the best of the lot.
Also, there's a full 3D version of the original Myst, which is called RealMyst, and works beautifully.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #13
Hello

The enviroment in riven are some of the best ones ive seen. but it was way to hard for me, so i played it with a walktrough but still loved it also myst 3 got good reveiws but i didnt particuly like it. im currently playing myst 4 at the moment and its ok, really nice graphics, but i dont really like the enviroments in it. and some of the puzzles are pretty hard, but thats normal for myst games.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #14

yeah, i love myst too.

i played realMyst.

And im currently playing Myst 4, which i bought just this week.

still looking for riven and myst 3, but kinda hard to get in south africa.