You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure OMG WTF Beneath a Steel Sky at local store!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
SamNMax

Default OMG WTF Beneath a Steel Sky at local store!

Well, you may have figured out what I'm posting by the title, but let me tell you, I've never found something so rare.
When I was very young, maybe at the age of six, I remember my uncle having a copy of BASS. I played about a quarter of it and really liked it. So, I went down to a local software store to spend some leftover birthday money. I was looking at the adventure shelf and what happened to catch my eye but a copy of... Beneath a Steel Sky... boxed... and shrinkwrapped! Yeah. Felt like Christmas.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Homer of Kittens

You actually payed for the game??? You were ripped off my friend

Revolution studions website:

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_display.php?id=16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevolutionGames
In August 2003, BASS was made available for free download and is now classed as freeware. The sources and resource files are available from
http://www.scummvm.org Using this new engine, BASS can be played on XP, MacOS, Linux, Amiga and pocketPC. Revolution extends its thanks to the SCUMMVM team for all their hard work in bringing the game back to life. Enjoy!
The game is freeware....

Firefox rules
Old 11-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #3

Maybe he just wanted to have a boxed copy of the game, he probably knew it was freeware and it probably didn't cost much anyway.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I downloaded the game, but if I could find a box copy I definately will! When I download, I don't feel like I own the thing I downloaded. When I buy, I get a warm fuzzy feeling

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 11-17-2004, 06:59 PM   #5

I have the original Amiga version.

And I can get the original PC version anytime. A "local" used-games dealer have dozens. Probably the disk-version though, and it's not shrink-wrapped.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #6
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
You actually payed for the game??? You were ripped off my friend
ARE YOU KIDDING? A shrinkwrapped original release copy of BASS is worth well over $50. That's the great thing about adventure gamers, we pay for more than the game; we pay for the collection.

NICE purchase. In freaking Illinois, no less? What store?

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-17-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
guybrush_guy

thats where i got mine, but with no box. it was in the orgional case with the cd in mint condition. gamespot has recently started buying used PC games from people, i find that they are decent, reliable sorce for old adventure games. i bought:
the last express
amerizone
zork grand inqusitor
and phantasma goria 2

in one day. cost me a total of 12 dollers, most of the realy old PC games only cost around $1.99USD

i payed 3 dollers a game, which was well worth it.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #8
Adventure Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
ARE YOU KIDDING? A shrinkwrapped original release copy of BASS is worth well over $50. That's the great thing about adventure gamers, we pay for more than the game; we pay for the collection.

You will be suprised what you can find in Illinois.
I live in Chicago, didn't find any stores in Chicago, but again didn't look that hard. But in the suburbs, I know 3-4 stores that sell older games and alot of times I find ultra rare games unopened and shrinkwrapped. My best catch in those stores was an ORIGINAL UNOPENED BOXED COPY of PHANTASMAGORIA STAGEFRIGHT. The box was BRAND NEW and I paid for it $18!!!
Not to mention my LOOM copy which I bought for $15!!!
Lately though I roam the Garage Sales and I'll tell you, you can find a s...load of rare games there for very cheap.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #9
Homer of Kittens

Quote:

I truly never understood collectors of any sort

Firefox rules
Old 11-17-2004, 10:51 PM   #10
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I truly never understood collectors of any sort
Ask around and find out what my mint condition copy of the Roberta Williams Anthology is worth. Then you'll understand even less.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 PM   #11
Banned User

Quote:
Ask around and find out what my mint condition copy of the Roberta Williams Anthology is worth. Then you'll understand even less.
Of course, if you never open it, play it, or sell it, it isn't worth squat, yanno? It is merely worth theoretical money. If it isn't actually in circulation where people are exchanging goods/services for it, then it has no actual value at all. The only way to get any "real" value for it is to insure it and then have it stolen/destroyed.

I thought you were an accountant?

(j/k, kinda, yanno... hehehe)

Last edited by BacardiJim; 11-18-2004 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:05 AM   #12
Evil Webmaster

Damn, that's the only Revolution game that I don't own (except Road to El Dorado), a boxed copy would sure make my day a bit brighter. The only thing I could find cheap in stores here was a boxed Bad Mojo, but then again it's not exactly a rare game, or at least it never was. Shops suck.
So there you go
Old 11-18-2004, 04:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Lucky you! I have the anthology as well, but it's far from mint condition... I have a signed copy of Mask of Eternity, tho'
Old 11-18-2004, 04:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Huh? I didn't know it was valuable... wow, better start treating my copy a little better, then
Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Is there a way to assess a game's value, other than looking at how it sells on ebay?

One person bought up a store's closeout inventory of the Roberta Williams Anthology a few years ago and has been selling them on ebay with starting bids of like $75 (or higher) around once a week. This has been going on for a long time. I know it's linked to supply and demand... something's only worth what people will pay for it... but does this really mean that the Roberta Williams Anthology is "worth" that amount? Is there some method of getting a game collection appraised?

Just thinking out loud, here.

-emily
Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 AM   #16
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
Maybe he just wanted to have a boxed copy of the game, he probably knew it was freeware and it probably didn't cost much anyway.
Exactlly. It was eight bucks by the way, and CD version. I'm kinda afraid to open it.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:39 AM   #17
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Is there a way to assess a game's value, other than looking at how it sells on ebay?

One person bought up a store's closeout inventory of the Roberta Williams Anthology a few years ago and has been selling them on ebay with starting bids of like $75 (or higher) around once a week. This has been going on for a long time. I know it's linked to supply and demand... something's only worth what people will pay for it... but does this really mean that the Roberta Williams Anthology is "worth" that amount? Is there some method of getting a game collection appraised?

-emily
I think usually it depends on the availability of the game among the public, and how many copies of the game were produced in total. The harder to find the game, the higher the price. Like even for really new PS2 games that were released about 2 years ago, they might go up till 50 dollars because there are very few copies thrown around.

Firefox rules
Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

-emily
There are price guides for console games, like this one for example,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...SIN/1581125933

but I'm not sure if any of these cover PC games. There are vide game brokers who handle PC games like the one reported by Tanukitsune on this thread and they must be relying on something to figure out what computer games to get and sell them at what price points but I haven't heard of any.

Has anyone seen any of the video game price guides? I wonder if any of them cover computer games.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:05 AM   #19
Adventure Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
There are price guides for console games, like this one for example,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...SIN/1581125933

but I'm not sure if any of these cover PC games. There are vide game brokers who handle PC games like the one reported by Tanukitsune on this thread and they must be relying on something to figure out what computer games to get and sell them at what price points but I haven't heard of any.

Has anyone seen any of the video game price guides? I wonder if any of them cover computer games.
This guide is probably for games released in 2003 and how much they go for. I tried for years to find a comprehensive guide on PC games that were released, not necessary how much they worth, since the early 80's. I couldn't find anything even close to that. It would of beign nice, but....
Old 11-18-2004, 10:11 AM   #20
fov
Rattenmonster

Just to play devil's advocate - here is a shrinkwrapped BASS with a buy it now of $3.69. Is this not the same release as the one that's supposedly worth $50?

-emily

EDIT: Evan, are you talking about this one?