You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dark Fall questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 05:52 AM   #1

Default Dark Fall questions

Hi there. As a long-time fan of adventure games, I recently stumbled across this site which is proving invaluable, keeping me informed of future releases, as well as a couple of titles that seem to have slipped me by. An case in point are the Dark Fall games. Now, I've just ordered the sequel, but I'm wondering if it has a follow-on storyline from the first game, or at least the same lead character? If so, I'd really like to grab the first game and play through that first. I can't seem to find it anywhere other than eBay at the moment though – does anyone know of any online retailers who are still selling it new?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbuffalo
Hi there. As a long-time fan of adventure games, I recently stumbled across this site which is proving invaluable, keeping me informed of future releases, as well as a couple of titles that seem to have slipped me by. An case in point are the Dark Fall games. Now, I've just ordered the sequel, but I'm wondering if it has a follow-on storyline from the first game, or at least the same lead character? If so, I'd really like to grab the first game and play through that first. I can't seem to find it anywhere other than eBay at the moment though – does anyone know of any online retailers who are still selling it new?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think the storyline follows up (or on, or whatever) from the first game to the second. But you must get it, just because it's a great game. And I understand that it's better than it's sequel, being more scary.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I don't think the storyline follows up (or on, or whatever) from the first game to the second. But you must get it, just because it's a great game. And I understand that it's better than it's sequel, being more scary.
Thanks for that. I certainly intend to get the first game; I just wondered if it's best to play it before the second game, if you see what I mean. I'd still prefer to do it that way, but I guess it's best waiting for a decent price on eBay, if I have to go down that route.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:18 AM   #4
23 Railway Cuttings

FIRST GAME

AMAZON.CO.UK for £14.95 second hand

If you've GOT to have it new, then Mindscape's online shop sells it for about £20

SECOND GAME

PLAY.COM for £14.99 (free shipping throughout Europe) - that's where I got my copy from

or

AMAZON.CO.UK for £16.99 (or even cheaper if you buy second hand)

Last edited by timcclayton; 10-14-2004 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Welcome to AG, brownbuffalo. Glad you like the site.

There's really no need to play the DF games in order. The storylines and characters are completely different. Well, there's one minor character that appears in both, but that'll just be a point of familiarity no matter which order you play them.

So definitely get the first one, but I wouldn't hesitate to play the second in the meantime.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:39 AM   #6

Many thanks for that Tim. As I said in my first post, I've already ordered the second game from Play. I've actually just put a bid in for the first game on eBay, but I'll order it from Mindscape for sure if that doesn't work out. In fact, they're doing a 'Buy two adventure games, get £10 off' offer at the moment – are any of the other included games a 'must have'?

http://www.mindscape.co.uk/products/...&cid=3&ssid=54

EDIT: Thanks Jackal – much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
23 Railway Cuttings

I can see why they're doing an offer on those games

But Aura is OK - not great, but OK.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
I can see why they're doing an offer on those games

But Aura is OK - not great, but OK.
Yes it is. Some pixel-hunting, an abrupt ending in lieu of a new age, but still charming and beautiful and the puzzles are nice enough.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:51 AM   #9
23 Railway Cuttings

Not in my opinion. I had no emotional ties to the main character, and while the graphics were "pretty" the worlds just weren't interactive enough and had very few, if any, animations or interest. I felt like I was just vaulting over hurdles throughout the whole game, so immersion for me at least was non-existent. And the whole thing felt like Crystal Key (albeit better) and that CAN'T be a good thing.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
Stalker of Britain

I bought Aura, as it was advertised as a "Myst-clone". I love Myst, purely for the story plot and the characters (and playing for the beautiful graphics, too). When I started it, it just seemed too sci-fi, when Myst almost felt real or believable. Is the story/characters good?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Personally, I liked Dark Fall: Lights Out better then Dark Fall: The Journal (the first one). But if you like the 2nd one, you should enjoy the first one. It has the same spooky feel to it as Lights Out (athough Lights Out was much spookier to me overall)

Also, check out The Lost Crown. I'm checking that one out myself. It was done by the guy who did the Dark Fall games.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Stalker of Britain

Really, Mystgirl? I thought the first "Dark Fall" seemed scarier, more menacing. I loved the setting in both. I loved the Lighthouse in 2003, or whenever it was, and how it was a tourist attraction. The old lighthouse was creepy, all abandoned, and wonderful. But the abandoned hotel was a very creepy setting, too. And the characters-I grew to love most of the "ghosts" from the first Dark Fall, seriously. Almost everyone. Heck-ALL of the characters! I liked Polly (of course) and the 3 lighthouse keepers from "Lights Out". Seemed to have a little less character in them, if that makes sense, but I still loved both games!!!

THE LOST CROWN!!!!!!!!!!!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes