You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Mainstreamer

Default Childrens games?

Hi..!

Looking for childrens adventure games, like the Pink Panther games..
Light-hearted and "sweet"

Suggestions?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

There's this cute little game called "Mixed Up Mother Goose", which deals with the mother goose rhymes, where you have to return items to their rightful owners.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #3

You can't go wrong with the old Humongous games (Freddie Fish, Putt-Putt, Pajama Sam, Spy Fox). I have kids aged 3, 5 & 7 and they all love those games. I think there have been some compilations released in the last year or two too.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #4

I grew up with the Humongous Entertainment games. Those are the best I can recommend for young children. The first three Pajama Sam games are my personal favorites.

King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride is also pretty "lighthearted", though a child can't get very far on their own. I played that when I was a little kid and enjoyed it a lot.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Here's a double welcome for both TapirUnge and queenofpainting. Nice to have you with us.

The Scooby Doo mysteries are fun children's games. I think there are five or six, but not all Scooby games belong to this adventure series, so you'll have to pick and choose.

EDIT: If that link above isn't working, just search for "Glowing Bug Man" at Amazon.

Great Journey is a more recent game, and by all accounts a pretty good one.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 07-22-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Stalker of Britain

Yes, the Scooby Doo games are very good, easy. I know there is a pack of four adventure games of Scooby Doo, with the Glowing Bug Man, Showdown at the Caroul (or something), then one about a dragon, and a mummy. Sorry, just trying to help. lol

Oh, and the Mother Goose game I mentioned is kind of for young-young kids. Just to let you know. Not sure how young you want.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #7

Have your kids tried the in-browser MMO Club Penguin? My 3 love it, it's kid friendly / kid safe. Lots of fun. Minigames galore, plus little quests and a whole lot of cute fun.

You can play for free and have lots of fun, but be aware there are certain features only available to paid-up members.

http://www.clubpenguin.com
Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
Mainstreamer

well.. Since I'm only 20 I don't have the kids myself..

But it's for kids aged about 10-12 yrs.. Yaknow.. Simple gameplay, can't go wrong no matter what you do, light humor.. Basicly "Agathe Christie" games, but kids style.. As I said, Pink Panther games are pretty much exactly what I'm looking for..

The Great Journey one, seems to be quite fine too..
Old 07-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Stalker of Britain

Aah, okay. So the Mother Goose one would be for much younger kids, I'm sorry. I wasn't sure what age we were talking.

Then I'd suggest the Scooby Doo (adventure) games.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #10

aladdin '94? how about hercules...although they are not adventure just about any kid will like them
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #11

They're old, now, but if they can get past the dated graphics, I think that age group would enjoy the Monkey Island games quite a bit. Cute, funny, a little snarky, and no way to permanently die or get stuck.

I haven't played them myself yet, but would the Bone games from Telltale be appropriate? I know that I'd wholeheartedly recommend the comics to kids that age. If the games are mostly similar in tone and plotline, they'd be perfect. Can anyone here who has played them speak to the difficulty level?

What kind of games do these kids already like/play? What kind of books and TV do they enjoy? And what setting are they playing in? Are we talking about a gift you're getting for some specific kids, or are we talking about something to install on, say, a computer in a school library, to be played at different times by a bunch of different children?

And don't get too hung up on "for children" "not for children." So long as the game isn't inappropriate or violent, there's no reason why a kid can't enjoy a game aimed at grown ups. From age 10-12, I think I was playing King's Quest VI and Myst, my dad and my little sister and I all playing together.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

I do have some recommendations.

Try, "Charlie Brown and Snoopy" Games.

1.) Where is the blanket Charlie Brown ?

2.) It's a Big Game Charlie Brown

I, do remember I have seen a very good interactive type of game / activity software specially for children in growing ages. It supports voice recognision techniques as well (I really dont remember the name)

There was a smally cute little character in a fully interactive room and when you say where is a cat he goes to the cat and say here is my cat and cat says MEOOOW....

It was so sweet and delightful. I like to play it again anyone can help me guessing the name ?

Please give input members.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #13
Adventure Game Veteran

As has already been said age brackets can be very difficult to define. Me personally played Broken Sword at age 7 and managed well enough
Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
Banned User

I think its about subject matter more than how hard it was to play at an age.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #15
Game Creator Hobbyist

Torin's Passage is a fairy-tale style game that's both enjoyable and fairly easy (and with a built-in hint system). I liked it much more than the AG reviewer did.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #16

Madeline's European Adventure is a good one.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #17

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, I know nothing about this game but I liked the cartoon show.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Stalker of Britain

Oh man, Trader!!! I forgot all about "Where In the World in Carmen Sandiego". I LOVED that game; it was awesome, with funny little animations and trying to figure out who did it. The screens of different places were realistic and awesome. I played it when I was younger. They would give you clues to lead you to a state, and man, I strained my brain and learned so much! Not that I rememebr a lot, but it was wonderful!

Oh wait. Maybe it's not the same as "Where in the WORLD". I think it's called "Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego".
Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
fov
Rattenmonster

The Bone games aren't just for kids, but they're definitely age appropriate.

Out from Boneville review
The Great Cow Race review

Both games can be bought as downloads or on CD from Telltale's online store.

Also, at that age I loved the King's Quest games. They're quite dated now, and I could see the text parser being frustrating, but there are a few remakes with updated graphics and a point & click interface that would be great for kids of that age.

King's Quest I
King's Quest II
King's Quest III
Old 07-30-2008, 08:30 AM   #20
Mainstreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
I think its about subject matter more than how hard it was to play at an age.
Absolutely!! - "Classic" adventure games, can't go wrong but gotta give the right items to the right persons, in the right order to solve some kind of mystery.. But.. Just not with "bloody" mysteries like the Agatha Christes give (murder and so on), but "where did the children go?" or "What happened to the lil toy rabbit?" - You get the picture

I've checked out several of the games, and some seem good.. (Trials of 'em)

I thank u all for the suggestions and I'll keep checking in on a regular basis to see if any new suggestions come up..