You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Whats your favorite Sherlock Holmes game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 08:33 PM   #1

Default Whats your favorite Sherlock Holmes game?

I liked "the lost files" games so much and had a good time recently with the silver earing. What is everyones favorite? Hint.... Dont say Mummy
Old 10-10-2004, 11:42 PM   #2
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Um, I did actually quite like "Mummy", nowhere as good as Silver Earring which was fabulous but still enjoyable. I'm playing the games backwards, finished SE, finished Mummy and am now halfway through Rose Tattoo which for an old game is quite stunning. So once that's done just Serrated Scalpel to do.

Katie.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie
Um, I did actually quite like "Mummy", nowhere as good as Silver Earring which was fabulous but still enjoyable. I'm playing the games backwards, finished SE, finished Mummy and am now halfway through Rose Tattoo which for an old game is quite stunning. So once that's done just Serrated Scalpel to do.

Katie.
I loved Serrated Scappel. It was easily my favorite. The story was wonderfull and the graphics were pretty darn good for 93.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:36 AM   #4

SH and the Riddle of the Crown Jewels. The atmosphere matched that of the novels pretty damn good.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:52 AM   #5
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

I haven't heard of The Riddle of the Crown Jewels. Can you give some information about it please?

Thanks,
Katie.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:48 AM   #6
Fienepien

Quote:
I haven't heard of The Riddle of the Crown Jewels. Can you give some information about it please?
It's a text adventure by the one and only Infocom. 1987 or thereabouts.
I know I played it and enjoyed it, but I don't remember much else. Infocom games are never easy.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
Nothing special

Mystery of the Mummy was a horrible game.. but since it's the only Sherlock Holmes game I've played I guess that means it's my favorite. Doesn't it?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

The Lost FIles of Sherlock Holmes: The case of the serrated scalpel without a doubt.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #9

I loved The Silver Earring, but it's also the only Sherlock game I've played, so.. I'll shut up now.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:25 AM   #10
Knowledgeable

I just finished Silver Earring and was slightly disappointed with it.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I just finished Silver Earring and was slightly disappointed with it.
Why was that, Ragnar? Be interested to know why as you seem to be in a minority (not that we can expect everyone to like every game). But many people really enjoyed it, I must admit I did get very confused with the explanation at the end of who did what, and chewed my brains out with the dog in the yard, but it was a good game on the whole.

Katie.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Here, have a screenshot:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...6511442-00.gif

Great game. Great plot, great settings, and pretty heavy to beat. Not my favourite game by far, but my favourite Sherlock game for sure.

Last edited by Nomad; 10-14-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:55 AM   #13
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

I have only two Sherlock games, the Infocom one, which I haven't played yet, and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Vol.1 (CD & DVD version)...
For some strange reason, a week after getting the original in game store (closed for ever ) I decided to get the DVD version...
It's too damn short....
I could spend the whole night playing the Dragon's Lair Trilogy (Why is it a trilogy anyway? Space Ace is a different game!) and I beat this one in a short mornings.... And it had 3 cases....
The scoring system killed the game even more, I know so adventure games have to beaten in time limit, but you don't get a perfect score if you beat in more than FIVE OR SIX turns!
For the first time I promised myself to play it properly, no hint, no nothing...
I had a notebook and took notes even!
After an hour or so on the first case, I was stumped, I wasn't satisfied with the clues I had, I didn't feel like I had a solid case, well guess what?
The Judge did....
After that I got the hang of the game, you just take notes and visit everybody mentioned... Then you visit the Judge and answer his questions... If you took notes, it's just too easy! If you don't get a perfect score then one of the places you visited had a redundant clue....
I'm not going to day it sucks beacuse then everyone will defend it....

(Looks at Dracula: Unleashed Interactive DVDrom adventure)
Oh boy, I hope this one is better....
Old 10-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #14
Rookie Cop

Has to be Serrated Scalpel.

Great atmosphere.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #15
Adviser to Royalty

Easy: The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo is one of the best adventure games I ever played. Long, fascinating, diverse. Really classic.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:24 AM   #16
Knowledgeable

Quote:
Why was that, Ragnar? Be interested to know why as you seem to be in a minority (not that we can expect everyone to like every game). But many people really enjoyed it, I must admit I did get very confused with the explanation at the end of who did what, and chewed my brains out with the dog in the yard, but it was a good game on the whole.

Katie.
I was disappointed because I had expected more. It's a decent game, but not much more.

And you're quite right to ask me for an explanation for my views, since the views themselves are not very interesting.

The first disappointment was with the atmosphere of the game. While Silver Earring has rather nice graphics, all the characters seems so stiff and the entire game world lacks the dynamics one would have expected. And Sherlock seems to be just a show-off that explains to death needless deductions of unimportant people. Certainly there are those elements in the book, but it were pulled off much better there and made in a more humorous tone.

The second was the fact of the quiz. I want to enjoy myself, not answer test on the story. It's like you are back to the school bench where you study to make tests instead of study for fun and future profit (as in more knowledge). Here you play to make some stupid tests. What's more, the tests didn't seem to have that much to do with the actual story. And it makes me think that Frogwares themselves doesn't think that they are good at telling a story. Why would they need a test to make sure people follow the story if they were able to get the story through without it?

The third disappointment is about the dialogue, which like the overall game is stiff and lacks refinement. The humour from the books are nearly completely gone. The actors I think, while speaking proper English, were bored out of their skulls when they recorded the voices for the game. Many clichés are overused such as "simplicity itself", "elementary" etc.

The fourth is that there is virtually nil interaction between Holmes and Watson. In the books, Watson's rôle is to be like the dumb reader, who knows very little how to solve the case and ask the stupid questions to Holmes about solutions that the reader surely must have thought of. In the game, Watson doesn't seem to have any purpose at all more than taking down notes of the case and doing trivial lookups.

The fifth is the puzzles. The quality is much uneven. There are some good puzzles, but there are also lot of repetition of puzzles and lot of pixel-hunting (find the slightly darker spot on a dark floor and such things).

The original script I think has a promise for a good game, also the graphics and research departments did overall a good job, but overall I don't think it surpasses the decent game rating.

Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 10-15-2004, 05:55 AM   #17
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Thank you.

Katie.