TMOS - CD or DVD? - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

View Poll Results: What format do you want The Moment of Silence to be on?
4 CD Edition 4 9.30%
1 DVD Edition 39 90.70%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
DJ Monkey Boy

Default TMOS - CD or DVD?

The Moment of Silence is coming so very soon. Only a month to the games UK release.

We want to hear from the adventure game fans about what format you want the game to appear on.

Do you want 4 CDs or 1 DVD?

Tell us. Vote and tell us why.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
23 Railway Cuttings

I voted DVD, but I would actually like to see developers including both formats in the one box (with bulk CD pressing, I doubt that would cost much extra ?) or else create 2 separate versions. It seems unfair that potential players should be discriminated against for not having a DVD drive.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:00 AM   #3

I think it's a bit surprising that more games aren't released on DVD. The storage space is so much greater, but I guess a majority of people still just have CD drives on their machines.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:03 AM   #4

DVD. I have a DVD player, so obviously, I'd rather not have to swap CDs, or have to install 3 CD on my Hard Drive, when I can just install and play with 1 DVD.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I prefer DVD format to having multiple CDs. Like was mentioned before, there is less CD swapping, and takes up less room on the shelf. Having 4 cds would mean taking up two slots on my CD rack which is already overflowing with stuff.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #6
guybrush_guy

definatly dvd, it's a much neater cd standard. one dvd is always much better then 4 cds..

Old 10-06-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

What the... ? A publisher actually listening to gamers? What's next, good customer support?

Go Digital Jesters! Woo!!

I voted DVD*, but only recently did I finally put a DVD drive in. The Europeans seem to be way ahead of North America in making DVD drives standard PC equipment, so I wouldn't be surprised to see voting trend along those lines. Since DJ is Europe themselves, might help to know where the CD voters are from.

*Assuming, of course, that you can avoid the technical pitfalls of a lot of other DVD games - Myst 4 being the most recent.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:25 AM   #8

DVD of course. The only reason why anyone would vote for the CD edition is because they do nat have a DVD drive. Who knows, the game comes out as DVD only and is smashingly good then the few without a DVD drive will finally get one.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerShard
I prefer DVD format to having multiple CDs. Like was mentioned before, there is less CD swapping, and takes up less room on the shelf. Having 4 cds would mean taking up two slots on my CD rack which is already overflowing with stuff.
Yes, and that's not all. The main point is that the german DVD-version contains 3.4 GB while 4 CDs equal approx. 2.8 GB. So they would have to increase video and audio compression to make the game fit on 4 CDs.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLe
Yes, and that's not all. The main point is that the german DVD-version contains 3.4 GB while 4 CDs equal approx. 2.8 GB. So they would have to increase video and audio compression to make the game fit on 4 CDs.
Bold is mine, think U meant decrease, but anyway that'd suck, another good argument for a DVD version! It could be pressed on 800mb+ CDs (870mb, 900 etc.) but that would make it more expensive, plus these CD's are not 100% compatible with all drives. Personally I think everyone should have a DVD drive by now, and this game would be a good reason to get one (they go for less than 30Ä!). I really don't see why we should still be disc-swapping.

edit: oops t'was late

Last edited by jjacob; 10-06-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Bold is mine, think U meant decrease, but anyway that'd suck, another good argument for a DVD version!
increased compression rate = decreased quality = smaller filesize
Old 10-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #12
The Threadô will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
The Europeans seem to be way ahead of North America in making DVD drives standard PC equipment, so I wouldn't be surprised to see voting trend along those lines.
So true. With the exception of those who build their own PCs, there will be pretty much nobody in Europe with a powerful enough computer to run TMOS but without a DVD drive. DVD is my vote, and will ALWAYS get my vote over CD.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-06-2004, 10:20 AM   #13
Banned User

Just as a point of interest, Conspiracies and Tex Murphy: Overseer were both released in the USA with both CD and DVD versions packaged together.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:26 AM   #14
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

DVD all the way, man! 8-)
I wonder why most of the games are still being made in CD format when everbody complains that they should be DVD... Right?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #15
Headbanger

The only reason I can think of that anybody wants to vote for CDs is that they don't own a DVD-player. Since they have been standard for a long time it means that buying a new computer for those people might not be a bad idea.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #16
The Threadô will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Just as a point of interest, Conspiracies and Tex Murphy: Overseer were both released in the USA with both CD and DVD versions packaged together.
Conversely, I'm pretty sure that the UK didn't get this deal. I don't know - we have the more up-to-date technology, and we don't get deals that are nearly as good.

I'd love to be corrected on this, though .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Conversely, I'm pretty sure that the UK didn't get this deal.
I definitely only have a CD version.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #18
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

I voted for DVD, i mean come on, today a DVD unit doesn't cost more than an average computer game.
I own DVD drive like 3 years already, what are you all waiting for?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:16 PM   #19

How about a DVD-only version for shops, but also selling a CD-version in the DJ Shop? That way everyone get what they want. Since you've got free shipping worldwide, you'd probably get some extra US sales by having a CD-version available.

I personally voted for DVD, though.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:14 AM   #20

Yo, Trav

I voted DVD!1

Do I count?

Greetings to the gang.