You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dark Fall - Lights Out anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 AM   #1

Default Dark Fall - Lights Out anyone?

Is anybody here already playing Dark Fall 2?

I am contemplating getting it. However, I also have a huge pile of books that is waiting to be read which makes time a scarce commodity at the moment - plus I think I am a bit spoilt now by playing The Silver Earring recently.

In case anybody is already at it, I'd be grateful for any opinions, reviews, complaints or praise.

Thank you!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #2
Banned User

Well, since the "news updaters" here don't see fit to include Mystery Manor as a significant enough adventure game site to include its reviews among the news/reviews from such dedicated AG sites as Warcry and Groovalicious Games , you probably didn't know that it was the first (and to this date only) AG site with a review of Lights Out.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #3

Thank you, Jim. It did help!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2

Mieze, my review of Lights Out (and the Sherlock one) will be in the next issue of The Inventory. It's an online PDF magazine. My deadline is Wednesday, so I assume the magazine will be coming out very soon. But if you're interested in knowing my opinion like...NOW...then you can send me a Private message here and I'll let you know.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Banned User

Of course, you must be alerted to the fact that it is official policy of The Inventory (CEO is the infamous Dimi) that the games that actually gave us the term "adventure game" aren't, in fact, adventure games. In fact, their OFFICIAL policy doesn't take the puzzles of an adventure game into account, while giving double weight to the "story" factor of a game. In fact, a game's music is given more weight than its puzzling... which gets a weight factor of.... zero. This is official Inventory policy! Thus the reviews, insights and opinions offered there reject the foundations of the genre in toto and even refuse to acknowledge that such games as Zork, Myst, Colossal Cave or Leisure Suit Larry are even adventure games.

I guess my point is that anything you read in The Inventory must be taken with a grain of salt, as they reject a huge number of adventure games, including all of them that introduced the genre and gave it its name and nomenclature as being non-adventures.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:59 AM   #6
Movie Buff & Gamer

Uh... I give sufficient consideration to the puzzles Bacardi. They go under the heading of "gameplay" since the majority of gameplay in adventure games IS comprised of puzzles (be they inventory puzzles or otherwise), exploration, etc. And Gameplay gets the same weight as Story. Graphics and sound get HALF the weight of gameplay and story. However, I am aware of your arguments with Dimitris on the Just Adventure forums so... I see no reason for me to get involved. I like the rating system of The Inventory. Because I believe story and gameplay (puzzles) are most important in an adventure game.

Last edited by Sanjuro2; 09-06-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

The snipes at both AG news updaters and The Inventory here are both unprovoked and completely irrelevant to the topic. Lights Out seems to be yet another highly commendable effort by essentially a one-man team, and that's what this thread should be about.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks, Jack.

Can we please try to stay on topic?

emily
Old 09-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #9
Banned User

Surprise.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:29 AM   #10
Retirement is stupid

It's worth noting that we do have a [email protected] address, and we post all relevant news that comes through that address.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 09-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Of course, you must be alerted to the fact that it is official policy of The Inventory (CEO is the infamous Dimi) that the games that actually gave us the term "adventure game" aren't, in fact, adventure games. In fact, their OFFICIAL policy doesn't take the puzzles of an adventure game into account, while giving double weight to the "story" factor of a game. In fact, a game's music is given more weight than its puzzling... which gets a weight factor of.... zero. This is official Inventory policy! Thus the reviews, insights and opinions offered there reject the foundations of the genre in toto and even refuse to acknowledge that such games as Zork, Myst, Colossal Cave or Leisure Suit Larry are even adventure games.

I guess my point is that anything you read in The Inventory must be taken with a grain of salt, as they reject a huge number of adventure games, including all of them that introduced the genre and gave it its name and nomenclature as being non-adventures.
Jim, you are completely retarded. Sure, The Inventory reads like written by a hyperventilating fanboy scholar, but a.) it features ADVENTURES, b.) it occasionally features things never read before, and c.) this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Erm, how to avoid getting OT... In my personal view, Dark Fall 2 is a decent budget adventure. Nothing that fascinates me, but it's amazing how one person (and a musician) can do such decent stuff. If I ever get jobless I'll completely play it through.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #12
Movie Buff & Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
Sure, The Inventory reads like written by a hyperventilating fanboy scholar
This will be my first time writing for it. I don't hyperventilate as far as I know, and I hate fanboys. Ha ha. Apparently the new issue is going to look a lot better than the old ones as well...
Old 09-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Surprise.
Yeah, it's so horrible that they told you to stay on topic(although I agree with you completely on the Inventory)

I have Dark Fall 2, haven't played it much but it does seem a bit harder puzzle wise. Not really scary at all either, just suspensful (note that I just turned on the generator at the lighthouse, not far at all) So far I like Dark Fall 1 more than 2, but 2 seems like a quality game so far. But it's really not fair to review a game that I only played for an hour, so this mini review counts for jack shit.

Last edited by LeChimp; 09-07-2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:09 PM   #14
Movie Buff & Gamer

In all fairness...BacardiJim and LeChimp, could you guys name some specific games that got trashed which shouldn't have been trashed, in The Inventory? I haven't had the time to read every single past issue of the magazine. But it has looked pretty fair thus far. Myst III was rated far too highly in my view, but the Gabriel Knight games are right where they should be. The Longest Journey was also rated way too high. I have yet to see something rated too low that I thought was excellent, but perhaps I missed it. So please, all knowing and all seeing ones, :-), let's have some examples.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro2
So please, all knowing and all seeing ones, :-), let's have some examples.
Let's not.

Really, if you guys want to have this conversation privately, that's fine. But please, not here.

I do look forward to hearing more opinions on Dark Fall 2, though. I have the first game on my shelf - have not played it yet - but I keep hearing great things about it. Jonathan Boakes seems to be very talented.

-emily
Old 09-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #16
Movie Buff & Gamer

Yeah, they wouldn't have enough ammo anyhow I suppose...

There's my cheap shot for the day. lol.

But really, there are so many limits on these forums. Can't talk about this, can't talk about that... If this keeps evolving, we won't be able to talk about ANYTHING and then there's no forum at all. :-P
Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #17
Fienepien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro2
But really, there are so many limits on these forums. Can't talk about this, can't talk about that... If this keeps evolving, we won't be able to talk about ANYTHING and then there's no forum at all. :-P

Hear! Hear!

Too repressive is NOT good.

Old 09-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #18
Hopeful skeptic

Excessive limits? AG? Please. You'd be hard pressed to come up with many.

But we do try to follow the "rule" of basic respect for other contributors to the adventure community. It's a small enough community as it is, and ugly experience has taught us that sitting around dissecting the faults of other sites and sources does nothing but generate more pointless negativity and cause bad blood. There are constructive ways of channeling such criticism, and using AG to air it isn't one of them.

It's also just pretty standard courtesy not to domineer new threads by going seriously off-topic.

I highly doubt the forum will stumble under the weight of restrictions like that.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #19

I played that very game today! And finished it without a walkthrough.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:39 PM   #20
Hopeful skeptic

And here's the best reason of all to keep a thread on topic!

Great to see you here, Jonathan. Always a pleasure having game developers join us. Haven't had a chance to try DF2 myself, but won't be long.

Without a walkthrough, you say? Impressive. Must have had an inside angle.