You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Anything else like the silver earring?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 02:57 AM   #1

Default Anything else like the silver earring?

I finished The Case of the Silver Earring last night and the ending was so good!!! And I nearly had it all right. I loved the way the ending was all like a film and that it went back to previous screens. I have nothing bad to say about the game, except that it was far too short and some of it a little easy. But all the puzzles were really good and logical.

I love adventure games and so far I've played all the Monkey Islands, all the Broken Swords, The Longest Journey, The Dig, The Last Express, Jack Orlando, Day of the Tentacle, Mystery of the Druids and Gabriel Knight 3.

As I've just finished Sherlock Holmes I'm very eager to start another game. No matter how old or new, I’d like to try it. Can anyone recommend a really good game, like the ones I have mentioned above, for me to play next?

Kitty

Last edited by Kitty_uk; 09-01-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:49 AM   #2
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_uk
I finished The Case of the Silver Earring last night and the ending was so good!!! And I nearly had it all right. I loved the way the ending was all like a film and that it went back to previous screens. I have nothing bad to say about the game, except that it was far too short and some of it a little easy. But all the puzzles were really good and logical.

I love adventure games and so far I've played all the Monkey Islands, all the Broken Swords, The Longest Journey, The Dig, Day of the Tentacle, Mystery of the Druids and Gabriel Knight 3.

As I've just finished Sherlock Holmes I'm very eager to start another game. No matter how old or new, I’d like to try it. Can anyone recommend a really good game, like the ones I have mentioned above, for me to play next?

Kitty
I'm trying to get hold of The Mystery of the Mummy, another SH game from Frogwares which came out a couple of years ago. Have also ordered and it should arrive later this week Black Mirror - do a search on google for it but it sounds a similar type mystery adventure. Also two old games from around ten years ago are The 7th Guest and it's sequel the 11th Hour. I've enjoyed them.

Cheers,
Katie.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:04 AM   #3
Movie Buff & Gamer

Send a message via AIM to Sanjuro2

Kitty and Katie, I'm so glad you both loved Silver Earring. I did as well. However Katie, Mystery of the Mummy isn't even worthy of polishing Silver Earring's boots. If you enjoy Sherlock adventures then both Case of the Serrated Scalpel and Case of the Rose Tattoo are better than Mystery of the Mummy. One of the reasons Silver Earring is so good is because Mystery of the Mummy was not. Frogwares learned their lesson, tenfold. A wonderful game was the result.

Kitty, some adventure games I would recommend, in a heartbeat, are the first two Gabriel Knights. You seem to only mention part 3. As great as Gabriel Knight 3 is, I personally don't think it's the best game in the series to start with, and I feel that 1 and 2 are even better games. Additionally, I highly recommend Syberia for a recent, excellent adventure game, and a Grim Fandango recommendation goes without saying... Also, though it's not for everyone, I believe The Last Express is one of the most impressive games ever made.

P.S. - As wonderful as the original Gabriel Knight is... Do yourself a favor and play with the voices turned off, and the text turned on. The...voices...are...TERRIBLE. In fact, I would go so far as to say that, for me, the voices ruin the entire game. I have yet to succeed in getting past Chapter 2 with the voices on without wanting to take a butcher knife to my ears. It's so much more effective when read.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:43 AM   #4
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro2
Kitty and Katie, I'm so glad you both loved Silver Earring. I did as well. However Katie, Mystery of the Mummy isn't even worthy of polishing Silver Earring's boots. If you enjoy Sherlock adventures then both Case of the Serrated Scalpel and Case of the Rose Tattoo are better than Mystery of the Mummy. One of the reasons Silver Earring is so good is because Mystery of the Mummy was not. Frogwares learned their lesson, tenfold. A wonderful game was the result.
Ah, ok, I'll go and look to buy Case of the Serrated Scalpel and Case of the Rose Tattoo. I'm currently bidding on Ebay for Mystery of the Mummy so maybe I won't be too upset if I am outbid. Thank you for your recommendations.

Katie.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Movie Buff & Gamer

Well Katie, there is always the chance you would like Mystery of the Mummy. I was just giving my view. If it's not that much on Ebay, I say go for it. To be honest, it's sort of a shame that you played Silver Earring first. Again, in just my view, I think all Sherlock games will seem like less than Silver Earring. However, Serrated Scalpel and Rose Tattoo ARE very fun games. If you like other non-Sherlock adventures, and enjoy mysteries of all kinds (with a touch of the supernatural perhaps) you can do no better than the Gabriel Knight games, if you haven't played them.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:17 AM   #6
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Have no fear, have gone bidding mad on Ebay!

Katie.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #7
Adventure Collector

Default Find "The Case of the Rose Tattoo" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie
Ah, ok, I'll go and look to buy Case of the Serrated Scalpel and Case of the Rose Tattoo. I'm currently bidding on Ebay for Mystery of the Mummy so maybe I won't be too upset if I am outbid. Thank you for your recommendations.

Katie.
Check EBAY item #8128867444.
It is a nice copy of "The case of the rose tattoo".
Old 09-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #8

I loved "Gabriel Knight - Blood of the Sacred", but I agree that the voice of Gabriel in particular (it was Tim Curry, wasn't it?) grated on the ear. I played the English as well as the German version and thought the voice acting was better in the German edition.

But I completely agree about Gabriel Knight 1 and 2. I think you'd love 'em Katie, especially "The Beast Within".

And since you liked The Silver Earring, I think Sanjuro's recommendations Serrated Scalpel and Rose Tattoo are excellent ones.

The Mystery of the Mummy, imho, is a little game to play in between two others. It was not really bad, but it was nothing outstanding either and had little to do with Sherlock Holmes.

I personally also loved Syberia 1 and 2... and though I think the first one was somewhat better, the second part is also well worth playing.

Other games I played last year and did not think bad either were Black Mirror (horrible voice acting though!), Journey to the Center of the Earth and The Omega Stone (some really annoying puzzles and lots of walking around) - though for me they do not live up to the Gabriel Knight Adventures of The Silver Earring.

I also like the Egypt 1-3 games, but I have to admit that this is due to the fact that I am a kind of hobby egyptologist and am naturally predisposed to think favorable of anything Egyptian.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
Puss in Rock Chick Boots

Well you'll be pleased to hear I am currently bidding for Rose Tattoo and Serrated Scalpel - please no-one outbid me!

As for tonight, with Silver Earring completed, I think it might be time for Discworld I - runs just fine using Virtual PC and Windows 98, not so happy in Windows XP.

Ah, nostalgia, don't you just love it?

Katie.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:52 AM   #10

Ah, Discworld... yes, makes me feel nostalgic as well. I also love the Pratchett books!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Gabriel Knight The Sins of the Fathers in my opinion is the best adventure game ever made and it kinds fits in the category of games you like playing. I'm currently replaying it after 10 years of playing it the first time, and I still find it as enjoyable. The only drawback is that it is one tough cookie to break.
But as far as story goes, character interaction, and mystery, it's always gonna be number one in my book. You should definitely play this game. It's a classic.

Firefox rules
Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 AM   #12

Default Games recommended by Sanjuro2

Quote:
Kitty, some adventure games I would recommend, in a heartbeat, are the first two Gabriel Knights. You seem to only mention part 3. As great as Gabriel Knight 3 is, I personally don't think it's the best game in the series to start with, and I feel that 1 and 2 are even better games. Additionally, I highly recommend Syberia for a recent, excellent adventure game, and a Grim Fandango recommendation goes without saying... "Sanjuro2"
Thanks everyone. I took your advice Sanjuro and bought Syberia 1 and 2. I have just this moment finished 1, and I loved it!!! And I'm installing 2 as we speak. I also borrowed Grim Fandango off my godfather, it's a good game but I haven't really got into it very much, not like Syberia. I have been looking around for GK 1 & 2, so I will probably purchase them soon too since I enjoyed the third one so much. At first it took me a while to get into it, but I got so SO into it towards the end, I was even dreaming about it. I loved it to pieces and if you're right about the first two, I can't wait!!! Also I'm planning on maybe getting the other sherlocks that Katie mentioned, but I will let Katie give me her verdict on them first before I get them!

P.S. I can see why some people don't like the voice acting in GK, however I personally like Tim Curry, but that's a matter of opinion. Mind you, you get accustomed to his voice a lot more if you've watched RHPS a few times!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:03 AM   #13
Movie Buff & Gamer

Kitty, that's great! :-) I'm glad you liked Syberia. It seems you might be like me, in preferring dramatic adventures to comedy. That might be an abrupt and incorrect judgement, but I just figured since you haven't gotten into Grim Fandango as much... I feel entirely confident in my Gabriel Knight 1 and 2 recommendations though. I think you'll really love them. And as I said, The Last Express isn't for everyone apparently, but it's a masterpiece in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:13 AM   #14

Yes, I totally agree about The Last Express. It's brillant especially in the way that you can have a mutiple of endings unlike most other games, though the case of the silver earring also had this possibilty too.

I think you hit the nail on the head; I prefer more drama and less comedy... I think that Syberia, GK and BS all have a very good balance, but Grim Fandango is a little far fetched for me.

So what other games can you recommend, since we have a similar liking for certain types of games? What is Egypt? I think it was you who mentioned that... Have you ever played Pharoah? I know not adventure, but still, have you?

Kitty xXx
Old 09-09-2004, 06:30 AM   #15
Banned User

Kitty: you might want to peruse my Recommendations List.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:33 AM   #16
Movie Buff & Gamer

Sorry, it wasn't me that mentioned Egypt. Heh. As for Pharoah, you mean that strategy game from about five years ago? I never played it. :-( However, some other adventure game recommendations I can give would be the Tex Murphy games, especially The Pandora Directive. Also, if you like dark adventure games, I recommend Sanitarium highly.

Another great horror game which can be considered an adventure (in my opinion) would be Silent Hill 2. You needn't have played the first game to enjoy it. But it does have some action elements, and I played it on Playstation 2 so I can't promise the control is good on PC. Still, the game lets you customize the difficulty of the action and puzzles, so you could put action on "Easy" and puzzles on "Hard" if you so wished.

Ripley's Believe it or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu is also a classic from Lee Sheldon (but very, very hard to get running on modern computers that have Windows XP). And you really might want to try out the Laura Bow series, especially The Dagger of Amon Ra. It's from 1992, but it a very interesting and fun adventure game set in a museum in the 1920's where murders begin to occur and you must solve the mystery.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_uk
So what other games can you recommend, since we have a similar liking for certain types of games? What is Egypt? I think it was you who mentioned that... Have you ever played Pharoah? I know not adventure, but still, have you?
It was me who mentioned the Egpyt games. I do not think you would like them very much. I recently played the Egyptian Prophecy, but as I said it is more because I am interested in Egyptian architecture and mythology. The most interesting thing about those games is the reconstruction of ancient sites and temples. It compares in no way to Syberia or Silver Earring!

As for the strategy game Pharao... I got that as a present some years ago and played a whole five minutes before deciding to give it away for free. It was simply not my type of game, I am afraid. I need a good story to keep me playing and I am not really the great strategist.