You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What are the new Adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 11:21 PM   #1

Default What are the new Adventure games?

I am really Love this kin of games, But they are really hard to find.

what are games that are worth playing?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:39 PM   #2

Wow, that's some question...
If you're looking for a recent adventure game, I'll suggest Syberia 1 (and maybe Syberia 2) which offer a great story but are a bit on the light side story-wise, The Black Mirror, an interesting "horror" adventure, which presumably has some flaws (like bad voice overs, or too many open-the-door puzzles), but which I liked a lot, or The Longest Journey, a long and nice adventure, which a lot of dialogs and puzzles. Runaway is good enough if you're desperate for 3rd person point and click, I guess...
If you want tough puzzles in a Myst-like fashion, you might want to look at Schizm 2 or any Myst games (Myst Riven or Exile)...
It all depends on what kind of games you love exactly, and what your definition of new is.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkersoftware
What are the new Adventure games?
Welcome to the community! I highly recommend going to our main site and checking out the Review section. You should also look in Previews to keep tabs on upcoming titles. Your question is extremely general so I have no idea what kind of taste you have - point-&-click? 3D? Text based? FMV? Cartoony? Realistic? Story type? You should let us know exactly what you like, and we'll recommend things for you.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-16-2004, 01:45 AM   #4

What happened to the adventure genre games ? Have they been wiped out, killed?
Man aventure games are hard to find, Are they still been made anymore?
Thre are some of th older ones That I have played

Longest Journey
Escape fom monkey Island
Post Mortem
SyberiaI
SyberiaII

The last Adventure game I played was SyberiaII Which an awsome game all together.

What happend to the newer ones man? Isnt thre anything?

most game developers are sticking to the tried and true RPG or ACTION games d amn them

P.S
I hate so called Adventure games like Myst, Riven, Jack th ripper, Aura....

I like ADV games where you actually conreol a character, move them use them to interact, Game like SyberiaII Longest Journey, Escape fom monkey Island.....
Old 08-16-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

It's all a matter of perspective, of course, but most of the games on your list aren't ones I'd consider "old."

TLJ, Post Mortem, and Syberia 1 all came out in the past few years (TLJ being the oldest). Syberia 2 just came out this year.

Adventure games are not released as often as they used to be (compared to the 80s and early 90s), but there are still several being released each year. Have you tried the Law & Order games? Shadow of Destiny? (GREAT game!)

If you like 3rd person games, there are also a lot of older ones you'd probably enjoy.

emily
Old 08-16-2004, 08:22 AM   #6
Headbanger

The most recent one you could have missed is Broken Sword 3. But there are a number of adventure games on the horizon like for example Dreamfall, A Vampire Story, Fahrenheit, Still Life ect.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 AM   #7

Check out the Hype-O-Meter for a general view on what is to come.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #8
8-Bit Spritemaster™

What about the Non-Commercial games on the horizon? I'm *REALLY* looking forward to Bad Timing and Indiana Jones & The Fountain of Youth, but are there any other really good prospects out there?

Preference on full-length games, as the short ones always leave me wishing for more once I've finished them.

Bob
Old 08-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

There's a King's Quest 9 being made by fans..........but I'm not sure how good it will be.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #10
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlglide
There's a King's Quest 9 being made by fans..........but I'm not sure how good it will be.
Really??? How could that be? Did someone actually buy the King's Quest name brand from ex-Sierra? Do you have more details about this...

Firefox rules
Old 08-16-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkersoftware
I am really Love this kin of games, But they are really hard to find.

what are games that are worth playing?
Try beyond good and evil. It is not an adventure game per se, coz you get to fight and sneak around a little but the story is pretty fun.

Firefox rules
Old 08-16-2004, 09:44 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Really??? How could that be? Did someone actually buy the King's Quest name brand from ex-Sierra? Do you have more details about this...
www.kq9.org

It's a fan game, but so far Sierra hasn't done anything to shut them down.

From what I've seen (screenshots) and what I've read about the story, I think it'll be a GREAT game. I'm really looking forward to it.

Which reminds me, there are the KQ1 and KQ2 remakes available for download at www.agdinteractive.com - very good games, especially the KQ2 remake which felt like a brand new oldschool adventure game to me.

-emily
Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 AM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
www.kq9.org

It's a fan game, but so far Sierra hasn't done anything to shut them down.

From what I've seen (screenshots) and what I've read about the story, I think it'll be a GREAT game. I'm really looking forward to it.

Which reminds me, there are the KQ1 and KQ2 remakes available for download at www.agdinteractive.com - very good games, especially the KQ2 remake which felt like a brand new oldschool adventure game to me.

-emily
Wow the screen shots look decent. For a game developed by fans, this is really impressive stuff.

Firefox rules
Old 08-16-2004, 09:53 AM   #14
8-Bit Spritemaster™

This talk of King's Quest 9 reminded me of Hero 6, a fan continuation of the Quest for Glory series...

http://www.hero6.com

Bob
Old 08-16-2004, 10:09 AM   #15
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

*Giggle*.

Ah yes, Hero 6, one of the eight billion Quest-for-Glory-inspired games that were planned a few years back. Number that have been released? Zero. Hero 6 seems to be the only one that's even vaguely alive.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
*Giggle*.

Ah yes, Hero 6, one of the eight billion Quest-for-Glory-inspired games that were planned a few years back. Number that have been released? Zero. Hero 6 seems to be the only one that's even vaguely alive.
There's another one that's still being worked on..........fairly far along in production too, I think. It's the opposite of Quest for Glory, though -- you play a villain. I can't recall the website, but I know it's named Quest for Infamy: So you want to be a villain?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:17 AM   #17

Oh, and the King's Quest 1 & 2 remakes are incredible. Especially 2 -- I hope they go on and remake 3 and 4 as well, because I loved both of those games. And maybe they could even remake Gold Rush.........if they could find a copy of it anywhere.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #18
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Quest for Infamy wasn't one of the "original" QfG clones though, it's fairly recent. And yeah, it does seem to be going along quite well. Should be cool.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:36 AM   #19

The Black Mirror
Runaway review
These games are like Syberia right?

How are they law and Order series? Are they Like myst, Raven? Or like Escape form monkey Island, Syberia?
As I said I love games like Escape form monkey Island, Syberia..

Arent games like Indiana Jones & The Fountain of Youth Like FPS?
I do have Try beyond good and evil, Its not an Adventure Game at all!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:53 AM   #20

When you prefer funny games there is not that much around at the moment. Wait for The Westerner oder buy Tony Tough (very funny, but with very old school graphics). More serious games are Black Mirror (spooky), Runaway (with Runaway 2 coming next year) or The Moment of Silence (conspiracy thriller, coming soon). Their gameplay is more or less like Syberia, so 3rd person point & click, not like Myst.

I didn't play Law & Order, but I don't think they are very good. The may be good when you are a fan of the TV show.

Indiana Jones & The Fountain of Youth will be a fan made point and click adventure game, very classical, very professional, no FPS.