You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Whats the best adventure-game for un unexperienced person

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #1

Default Whats the best adventure-game for un unexperienced person

Could someone give me a hint for the best adventure-game to start with.
My wife and I want to try such a game for the first time.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:59 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Jakek Send a message via AIM to Jakek Send a message via MSN to Jakek Send a message via Yahoo to Jakek

Well, I'd say The Longest Journey. It's a wonderful game and it's not very hard. Just remember to talk to everyone about everything, but if you really get stuck don't feel too bad about consulting a walkthough ( gamefaqs.com or uhs-hints.com ).

If you're looking for humor go for a Lucasarts game; though they tend to be a bit, tough. But they are incredibly enjoyable and will get you hooked. Monkey Island and Sam & Max are the old standbysand I would recomend one of those, even though my personal favorite is Grim Fandango.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:03 AM   #3
merely human

I'd say Grim Fandango, because everything about it - story, characters, puzzles, artistic direction - is so beautifully integrated and balanced and ultimately lingers in you long after. Then there is Syberia, where the your emotions and imagination are allowed room to creep the story beyond its boundaries and puzzles are a bit more sympathetic to newcomers.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-05-2004, 03:27 AM   #4
Banned User

Amber: Journey's Beyond. Good stories, easy-to-medium-difficulty puzzles, introduction to a slider, not too long, atmospheric and emotional. introduction to the classic slideshow style presentation. Great starter game.

Won't play on XP or Win2K though.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:49 AM   #5

Grim Fandango, great story, graphics and not too hard. Shouldn't be too hard to find either.

Last edited by LeChimp; 06-05-2004 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:05 AM   #6
Banned User

Hrmmm.... yeah... they've never played an adventure game before.... so everyone wants to turn them on to one of the two games with the most frustrating navigation interface in the genre as their first game.

How about you give them advice that that is actually helpful to them instead of once again everyone listing their favorite games?
Old 06-05-2004, 05:31 AM   #7
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Hrmmm.... yeah... they've never played an adventure game before.... so everyone wants to turn them on to one of the two games with the most frustrating navigation interface in the genre as their first game.

How about you give them advice that that is actually helpful to them instead of once again everyone listing their favorite games?
I agree Grim Fandango ain't the easiest game to start with, but I can't blame people for mentioning it. Besides, I'd want my first game to be a really good one, a great experience that makes me want to play more - instead of a mediocre title, just because it has an easier interface or simple puzzles.

--Erwin
Old 06-05-2004, 09:07 AM   #8
Banned User

Hrmmm... I never ever heard Amber referred to as a "mediocre" title before. It has received almost universal acclaim.

I'd also recommend The Blackstone Chronicles, Dark Fall, Myst, Physicus, The Neverhood or maybe Full Throttle for beginners.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:11 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Full Throttle all the way. Its short and sweet and good.

Grim is a good one as well, if they're a bit time film (or story) buff but don't play many games, but you sometimes have to walk them through year 1 I've discovered... And as Jim said, the controls are a bit dumb. But really, controls etc aside, I've successfully sucked in a handful of people to adventuring with Grim so its probably a good choice if you're recommending it to the right person (eg someone who isnt easily offended by slightly clunky keyboard controls).

I don't agree with the recommendation of The Longest Journey. I would be so absolutely lost and confused with that game if I didn't understand adventure games already. Why am i walking in circles in this fictional city, occasionally talking to people? Is this even a game? Considering I thought that anyway the first time I played it it might throw people with no preexisting expectations for an adventure game.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 06-05-2004, 09:22 AM   #10
LA-S-LE

Curse of MI is rather easy and light-hearted, so I guess it'll be a good one to begin with (new players also won't be frustrated by the outdated graphics).
Also I agree on Full Throttle, Blackstone Chronicles. And I'd also suggest Broken Sword 1-3 and Zork: Grand Inqusitor.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:22 AM   #11
Banned User

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jake. Last thing I'm used to from you. Payback for me commenting at JA+ about the excellent coverage AG gives underground/amateur games?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:24 AM   #12
Banned User

BS3: the game to assure that they never play a second adventure game. Makes the GF/MI4 interface look like a cakewalk.

ZGI is a great game, but some pretty advanced puzzling for a first-timer.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:37 AM   #13
Retirement is stupid

Jim's right about Grim Fandango. I'd never recommend it as a first adventure game. Full Throttle, Amber, or Syberia are all good options to give you a taste of the genre.

But Jim's totally wrong about Broken Sword 3. It has much more fluid navigation than Grim. If you have any sort of console experience, it's actually a much less jarring transition into adventure games than something like Syberia or Myst.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 06-05-2004, 09:41 AM   #14
Banned User

If you have a gamepad, that is.

And I will never, ever, ever recommend an ADVENTURE game that requires a gamepad to make it "better."

Shocking, eh?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #15
Retirement is stupid

Good thing we're here, then.

Old 06-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #16
Retirement is stupid

I just re-read the original post of this thread and caught the words "my wife and I"; that in mind, I think that Syberia really would be your best bet. It's a very leisurely paced game, not very difficult, and extraordinarily beautiful. The story is compelling, but not so demanding that it can become overwhelming (as in TLJ). Plus there's basically no learning curve on the interface. Plus it's still available in every store.

The only game I've ever played from start to finish with my wife was Sanitarium, but I wouldn't recommend that as your first adventure.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #17
Dungeon Master

As much as I do love Zork:GI (surprise surprise), its humour is very often poking fun at adventure gaming cliches, so a newcomer may miss much of it.

Regrettably I never played it, but from all I know Full Throttle would be almost a perfect choice. I also suggest Beneath a Steel Sky (widely acclaimed, not too hard - and now it's free to download!).
Old 06-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #18
Banned User

"If only I had an 'Insert token into slot" spell!" 8-)
Old 06-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #19
Friendly Server Admin

How about Curse of Monkey Island? Not too hard, pretty good puzzles, and graphics that won't be off-putting to someone who's not used to playing 320x200 games. Plus of course the humor makes it a pretty easy game to get into.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #20
Banned User

What? Recommending playing the MI games out of order to a newbie? SACRILEGE!