You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Whats the best adventure-game for un unexperienced person

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 03:40 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
DOTT's puzzles are ones of the most difficult in the adventure genre. It would turn off anyone new to these types of games. Interestingly enough, it was the first game I ever played and ever since, I've been hooked. Guess you have a point.
DOTT? Difficult? I beat this one in 4 hours. I gave it to my little sister (her first adventure game), she beat it in two days. I gave it to another friend, she beat it in 2 days as well... I really don't think you can say this is a difficult game. There are hints for stuff all over the place, and the ideas themselves are fairly simple.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #122
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrax
DOTT? Difficult? I beat this one in 4 hours. I gave it to my little sister (her first adventure game), she beat it in two days. I gave it to another friend, she beat it in 2 days as well... I really don't think you can say this is a difficult game. There are hints for stuff all over the place, and the ideas themselves are fairly simple.
I dunno I found it difficult at the time. That was my first adventure game mind you so I haven't experienced a lot of the same tricks and puzzles that recur in adventure games. But the fact that you had tons of items to flush between 3 different timezones and try them in many screens is tougher than a more linear approach where when you are stuck there are like only 3 or 4 screens to try out things in.

Firefox rules
Old 08-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #123
Mostly absent

I wouldn't call DOTT difficult, but it's not easy either. The different time zones made the game rather challenging at times, but also gave the game some nice twists that hadn’t been possible without them.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:02 AM   #124
Under pressure.

DOTT's puzzles requires one to 'think outside the box'. Sometimes you'll have to know certain 'American facts' or words. The best example of what I mean is the monkey wrench puzzle in MI2.

--Erwin
Old 08-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #125

I just tried to get the monkey to do the hard work...
Old 08-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #126

It's been 5 years since I played DOTT last but the only part of the game that was challenging was the future. The one time I was stumped in the game I ended up kicking myself because it was so easy. I had trouble finding the keys to the car that the thief was trying to break into. I didnt even think to look on the back side of the door. Its rediculous because every preceeding LA games had something hidden on the back side of the door.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:09 AM   #127

Oh boy, my first reply in a forum! If the married couple are interested in playing an adventure game for the FIRST time, my choice for someone with NO experience whatso ever would be " Taa-Daa" Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis! Not too hard at all, but LOTS of fun, and three different paths to choose from. I admit to not being a great gamer like yáll, but this is certainly a great game for biggers, don´t you think?
Old 02-18-2005, 06:41 AM   #128

For me, the ideal adventure to start someone off with would be Broken Sword 1.

Graphics are gorgeous, the story is great, family friendly, and it's a dead easy interface.

I wish all adventures were as good as that.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #129
Knights Templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gissing
For me, the ideal adventure to start someone off with would be Broken Sword 1.

Graphics are gorgeous, the story is great, family friendly, and it's a dead easy interface.

I wish all adventures were as good as that.
Yes - Broken Sword is my favourite too - its the adventure that has everything - for me the best thing about it was the music, so atmospheric.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:58 AM   #130

Having read this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the married couple just gave up completely.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:53 AM   #131
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

The first adventure game I played, in fact the first computer game I played, was Myst, and from that moment on I was hooked. To me, adventure games are about exploring strange new worlds and solving puzzles, and Myst excels in these respects. Myst also makes for a quite painless introduction to adventure gaming because it's almost impossible to die and puzzles don't have to be solved in a strict, preset order. For these reasons I usually include a copy of Myst whenever I give someone a computer.
I also highly recommend Beyond Zork as a good second game because it has many features that Myst lacks, such as loads of character interaction and the possibility of death if you screw up too badly. Beyond Zork is much more challenging than Myst, but all necessary clues are there IF you listen to the characters VERY CAREFULLY.
Although I enjoyed Zork-Nemesis immensely, it might be a little dark and gruesome for some people, particularly the scenes in the sanitarium. My stomach still does a slow forward roll every time I think about the "shock treatment" scene...

Share the love.

<3
Old 02-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #132
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Um... definitely not The Labyrinth of Time?
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 02-18-2005, 02:40 PM   #133
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustCropper
Having read this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the married couple just gave up completely.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #134
Commander of chest

Syberia?