You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What game(s) really got you "hooked" into gaming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004, 05:35 PM   #61
Bobyboy

Send a message via MSN to Bobyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotray
My Commodore 64 was my first machine, and I was playing loads of games on that at the time. I had stuff like He-Man, and Batman The Caped Crusader. So, I'd been playing games for an extended period of time. One of the true games that stands out to me, was actually a Flintstones game for the C64, where you had to paint Peddles's bedroom. There was a time limit, and if you didn't complete it in time, Wilma would come home and scald you. The first time I passed that, I jumped around the room, like I'd just won an olympic gold medal or some such.

Then I started bowling with Barney...

Never bowl against Barney...

However, if there was one defining game that I would have to say, brought me into games, then it would have to be the Secret of Monkey Island. I had memories of my other games, and the hours I'd clocked on them, but SOMI really stands out at me, especially the Carnival sequence, with the Fetuchini Brothers. I think it must have been something about the bright lights.

So, when the sequal was released, I probably had an early hernia.

I never actually completed the Le Chucks Revenge, until six months, to a year later. I couldn't get past the spitting contest, and I remember vividly my mum coming home from school one day, having spoken to one of her pupils, who told her what to do.

I jumped on the game, and got to the end...

Heh, I miss those times...

well im 16 and the games i remeber playing were commander keen and world cup 94 but the game that introduced me to adventures was broken sword 2
Old 06-27-2004, 06:41 PM   #62

The games that got me hooked on adventure games were the Space Quest series. I played SQ III, IV, V, then I and II. They rocked.

I also really enjoyed Colonel's Bequest when I was a kid.

Then around the mid 90's I got my first taste of a LucasArts game when I purchased DOTT solely because of a magazine review. Soon after I purchased Sam & Max, Full Throttle, and The Dig, other great games.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:52 PM   #63

I sat and watched my friend play DOTT for hours. I loved watching it, he knew how to play the whole thing through so you could just sit there and watch it.

Then I got a CD featuring FoA talkie, Sam & Max talkie, DOTT talkie. It was a precious CD.

FoA got me hooked. After the movies it was an astonishingly well told and believable story, at that young age it was just another movie to me. The FoA GUI system really intruiged me, the way the MIDI faded between it.. It fed my development mind too

I just instantly loved adventure games from that point.

Sam & Max really took it further for me. A unique art style, more cartoony than FOA but with authentic locations. Believeable excellence by Steve Purcell. Humour, mad GUI's - LucasArts were certainly heroes by this point. It sat nicely in the middle of FoA talkie and DOTT talkie.

The cameos, by Sam & Max, in other LucasArts games - was nice. It's one of those nifty development things. And for some reason people love that, in the same way that I love something like, toast.

Of course then I played DOTT again and just loved it. My proper chance to play it, and actually control the moment right up to the car was scene. ANd beyond even! LOL, that game is a legend. Besides, my friend appreciates it. So I can talk about it whenever I like to him.

Plus there was a Sam & Max tv show!

Around this time I had played a demo of LBA. And gone insane over. Unique, perfect, freedom. And the LBAII with it all again, freedom x 100! That's the perfect adventure game to me. Travelling islands, solving this intensely large, cinematic enigma of events. I think I have a thing for Ambrosine like Yufster does Tim Schafer. I'd pay them to work for them. I'd sell my soul and perhaps even pitch Kinky Island to LucasArts for a laugh, to put one note of one song in LBA4. Perhaps a triangle.

There was a Theme Park phase but that's OT.

There's loads more like finding Noctropolis, Teen Agent, Escape From..Dyeahyeah, ToonStruck, Broken Sword, BASS (another of my friends favourites), and basically this goes on until I've told you about every adventure game I've ever played.

Sorry for going on so much. I don't keep a diary, so I figure come 72 I can just google today.

Old 07-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #64

Old 07-07-2004, 09:44 PM   #65

For me, it was Super Mario Bros.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #66

A friend of mine had an old macintosh (well, not old for the time, really...), and my first intense gaming experience was Dark Castle. Does anyone else remember this game?
Then the second step, the one that made me realise that I NEEDED a PC, was when I bought Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Maniac Mansion for a friend (especially Indy3), and when we played both games together.
The final blow was another friend who showed my Indy 4... I couldn't believe a game a great could possibly exist. From then on, I was an adventure nuts.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #67

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Old 07-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #68

The first game to get me hooked into gaming, eh?

According to my parents, it's when I went to an uncle's house and became addicted to his tabletop Ms. Pac-Man machine, although I have no memory of this happening (Ms. Pac-Man manages to be one of my favorite games even today, though).

From my own memory, it's going to a big arcade when I lived in Guatemala during the early 1980's and enjoying playing Donkey Kong and Popeye.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:53 AM   #69
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

It's sort of hard to remember all the way back to 1995 or so when I was about 4, the games I remember were Maelstrom (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/maelstrom/), Pathways into Darkness (http://www.bungie.net/Games/ClassicG...ain&page=1#PID), This game where you got to chose different body parts and clothes and make a monster (I loved that one). Those are the games I remember having on my old Mac from 1995.

We got a new mac in 1996 when I was 5 and I think that's when I really got into gaming, I think the games that really got me into gaming were Marthon 2 and Infinity (http://www.bungie.net/Games/Marathon/), I played them for years and used to modify the enimies and make levels and stuff. This isn't a game but I have really fond memories with me and my brother with Kid Pix Studio . Through the years my Dad would bring home Mac CD's (http://www.imgmagazine.com/) with demos and shareware and freeware good CD's. I still have that Mac and those CD's which I sometimes bootup for some classic gaming nostalgia.

Sometime around 2000 when I was 9 or so we got a PC which opened up a whole new world of gaming. I got games like Unreal to try out the 3D accelerator that this new computer had and saw how cool this PC was .

In 2003 I got MI1 and 2 and they got me hooked into the wonderful world of adventure gaming. So through 2003 and 2004 I started getting more adventure games such as MI4 and MI3 (yes in that order), DOTT, SNM, Runaway, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Zak Mkcraken, BASS and FOTAQ. And I'm trying to get even more now like: Full Throtle, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword 1,2 and 3, Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 and The Neverhood.

In case you're confused I use PC's now but I still keep my old mac.

The End

Last edited by Krazy; 07-10-2004 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:21 AM   #70
Babbling as Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
This isn't a game but I have really fond memories with me and my brother with Kid Pix Studio . Through the years my Dad would bring home Mac CD's ( http://www.imgmagazine.com/) with demos and shareware and freeware good CD's. I still have that Mac and those CD's which I sometimes bootup for some classic gaming nostalgia.
I grew up as a Mac gamer through that same time period as well (though I was older). Maelstrom was awesome. And I loved the bomb tool in Kid Pix. IMG was such a cool magazine back then, especially "pre-internet."

I also have to admit that I was too scared to play Pathways into Darkness for more than the first few levels. It's one of the few FPS games I've played that freaks me out in a way that isn't "jump out of the corner" scary.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #71
Homer of Kittens

The first game that really got me going was Wolfenstein. That game was so wonderful for the time. Then came doom and it changed my whole world.

Firefox rules
Old 08-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #72
Sierra Fanatic

When I was younger, I went over to my uncle's house a lot and he was really into video games, so I played them too. The games that got me hooked, though, were the Space Quest games, and Mario mostly. Later, as technology got better and I got older, I played games like the Gabriel Knight series, Half-Life, and No One Lives Forever among others, and I realized I would really love to make these for a living. And I will; just wait.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:01 PM   #73
Banned User

1981. Summer break from college. Zork on a TRASH-80 CoCo.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:30 PM   #74
Master of Time and Space

My first games were on the HC, as we call it here, I remember an olympic games simulator, a karate game, a motorcycle sim, and a couple of other arcades.

Then, in 1998, I got my first PC, a Pentium 233, and I never since then abandoned PC gaming (not a big fan of consoles).
Mortal Kombat 2 was my first game and I loved it (I still play MK3 sometimes).I'll list my first games by genre:

Arcade: Jazz Jackrabbit - sweet!, lots of levels
Sports: World Cup 98, played every other FIFA game since
Racing: Death Rally. I have never played a racing game to match it and it's 2004!
Strategy: Starcraft really got me going; I also remember AOE 1.
FPS: Doom 2 and Hexen, I liked Hexen more
RPG: Anachronox - I never liked RPG until I played Anox, and I still haven't found a better one. Bought a new PC just to play this game.
Sim City 2000 was my first game from the Sim/Tycoon games.

So where's Adventure? Well... the truth is I don't remember my first adventure game. It's either Hopkins FBI, Nightlong or Monkey Island 3. I know, pretty recent games, but I was young and unfamilliar to the adventure game concept.
Playing: Omikron: The Nomad Soul Next: Sanitarium Replaying: QFG IV: Shadows of Darkness, Grim Fandango, Syberia Waiting for: Max Payne 3, Deus Ex 3, American McGee's OZ, The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Fahrenheit, Anachronox 2 (if they ever make it)
Old 08-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #75
Taggert Man of Action

Send a message via AIM to TMOA Send a message via MSN to TMOA

My first games,
were a text adventure on tape on my c 64 (one about vampires cant remember the name for the life of me), and some games i played on my Vectrex....lol

Man the good old days

TWOA (tina woman of action) Uhhh a rubber duck, a bandaid, a glove and some other stuff....

TMOA .....did you stop by Aprils house again, cause i think ya got her bag .....

TWOA .....DOH
Old 08-12-2004, 03:35 PM   #76
Gold Elite

Defender on the BBC Master System and Castlevania arcade game, along with of course Donkey Kong Jr. arcade machine! Wow! That's about 20 or so years ago!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 04:58 PM   #77

My first video game was Super Mario Bros. on the NES when it was brand new. My mom and I both were hooked on it. I remember waking up at night and she'd be secretly playing it. Those were the days!

My first adventure game was Monkey Island 1 on the Sega CD. Long before I had a decent PC. Still, it was an excellent experience on the Sega CD. I think that was one of the two really excellent games it had. The best being Snatcher. Snatcher really got its hooks into me. Still play that one at least once every couple years.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #78
Junior Junior Member

Send a message via MSN to Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard09
I grew up as a Mac gamer through that same time period as well (though I was older). Maelstrom was awesome. And I loved the bomb tool in Kid Pix. IMG was such a cool magazine back then, especially "pre-internet."

I also have to admit that I was too scared to play Pathways into Darkness for more than the first few levels. It's one of the few FPS games I've played that freaks me out in a way that isn't "jump out of the corner" scary.
I know, those Zombies scared the hell out of me! Great to know you were a mac gamer too!