You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What game(s) really got you "hooked" into gaming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 01:15 PM   #1

Default What game(s) really got you "hooked" into gaming?

What game(s) caused the "I'm addicted to gaming" in you? For me it was Monkey Island back in '96 or '97. I played a bit of it at one of my parents' friends' house. From that point on, I was hooked! That's when I really got into gaming, though I had played computer and console games before. As a twist to my story, I don't even own any of the Monkey Island games!

Last edited by CaveBear; 05-17-2004 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #2
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I got hooked immediately when I played my first times.

It was most propably my brother's old Vic 20, and some two color Space Invaders clone circa 1987.

But these things I can't remember too well, even when I'd like to remember this kind of stuff.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

For me it was such Broderbund edutainment games as Treehouse and Carmen Sandiego. (well, I was a little kid, what do you expect?) And also various NES/SNES games. Yeah.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
merely human

Take this in the context that I first discovered computer games as a kid, with Atari's Pong, Intellivision, and my brother's old IBM on which I used to play the text based Zork. Then I abandoned videogames until years later, adventitiously discovering Playstation at F.A.O. Shwartz while Christmas shopping:

Silent Hill - I never knew you could be pulled into a world of pure horror and sadness until I played this game.

Gabriel Knight 3 - I never knew I could shed tears of sentiment unti I finished this game.

Half-Life - I never knew how elegantly a sci-fi story could be told and how I could feel as if I'm deep in that story until I played this game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
Disciplined Breakdown

Commander Keen, Monster Bash, and Monkey Island 1, ah the classics.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #6
No justice. Only me.

Chronologically: Myst, Inherit the Earth, Magic Carpet, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Curse of Monkey Island

Last edited by ConcreteRancor; 05-16-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:17 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Marius

For me I think the first PC game that really got me was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I have always been attracted to a good story about mysterious civilizations and that game excels at this job.
BTW I 'm looking forward to playing Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:33 AM   #8

I believe the first game I really played was Dune 2, and also when I was around that age I played games like Secret of Monkey Island and many on the old Amiga. I think the one that really did it would have been Heroes of Might and Magic 2 when I played it in 1996.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
For me it was such Broderbund edutainment games as Treehouse and Carmen Sandiego. (well, I was a little kid, what do you expect?) And also various NES/SNES games. Yeah.
Ah, I did like Carmen Sandiego too. That's about the only game my mum's ever played lol. Good game it was...
Old 05-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #10
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I used to play on our MSX as a little kid, probably about 4-5 years or so. Can barely remember it. But I do remember that my first favourite game was Konami's Knightmare II - The Maze of Galious. It's fucking awesome.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:19 AM   #11

King's Quest 1 and Mario.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:30 AM   #12
Headbanger

A friend of mine bought Full Throttle when it was released and we played that game over and over again. After that I was hooked and I bought every adventuregame I could find (this was 10 years ago so finding them wasn't that difficult ).
Old 05-17-2004, 08:05 AM   #13
pain is love

Arkanoid (the greatest game ever!) and Tetris on my uncle's Atari. I was about 6. And commando on my c64. I downloaded it a few weeks ago, it still ROCKS! good times...
Attached Images

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #14

The moment I laid eyes on a videogame for the first time I was hooked. This was back in the late 70's, when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old (born in 1975), when my father bought a Pong clone made locally down here in Brazil. I'm a genuine member of the "Atari generation".
Old 05-17-2004, 09:44 AM   #15
delusions of adequacy

Double Dragon played on the proper arcade machine. The Fisher (a suburb in Canberra where I grew up) shops supermarket had one out front and me and my mate would piss away every last dollar we had into it. At the time it was 20 cents a game which quickly sent us broke. But I loved it so much it was the reason I first skipped school and fist stole money (from my parents) all to play a side scrolling beat em up. I've never liked any other game in the genre not even Double Dragon's successors, I can't really explain my love for it other than it was my first multiplayer gaming experience and fighting over the chick at the end was the greatest twist ever, even the 50th time.

I was heartbroken when they replaced it for a ghouls and ghosts machine.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:11 PM   #16

Frogger on the commodore 64. Although I might have played pong even before that.

Btw, that Commando picture looks cool. Good old times.

Garion
Old 05-17-2004, 10:05 PM   #17

I used to play some little games on my father's Apple II computer, some made by my dad himself (he used to make programs to help ESL students learn English) but this was such a long time ago that I can't even remember any of their names. I remember one was some kind of racing game, another had something to do with Karate.

As for the game that really got me "hooked," that would probably be Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? And then, I guess, Jetfighter and Wolfenstein 3D came next.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:34 AM   #18
Dr Uberman

Those awesome tape games on An atari system in the mid 80's that took like 20 minutes to boot up in the tape drive.

Those were the days.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:06 PM   #19
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

The first games I "played "was on our old Spectrum when I was 3-4 years old. My dad did most of the actual playing to make any progress but he sometimes let me play some of the more simple games. My real gaming experience started with the Amiga where I played through many of the classic games available at the time, including many of the LucasArts classics. I didn't get a PC until 1994, hehe.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #20
Rookie Cop

On gaming?
Was probably OutRun on the age old BBC.

On adventure games, was between MI1+LSL1.
Played both very close to one another for the first time.