You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure History of Graphic Adventure Games 1983 - 2010

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #1

Default History of Graphic Adventure Games 1983 - 2010

I made a special movie presenting the most important adventure games from 1983 to 2010. I am not sure if it is the right place to post it, but I think some of you may be interested in this movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iM9ljabZ-E
Old 11-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Headbanger

That was really impressive. Kind of scary that I have at least tried almost every game.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Good job! Thanks for the trip down mamory lane.
I love how if someone were to not know any better, they'd say "you must've put that Blackwell game in the wrong place in the order!". Very nice games, the whole Blackwell series, btw.
I think you should add annotations that say the year of release of every game.

Also, music could use some variation. But, now that that song is seared forever in my brain, I might as well know what it's from! It rings a bell, but I can't say for certain.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #4

Cool video! I didn't watch it all but I can tell a lot of work went into it. Good job.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #5

I thought you made a documentary for a moment like the one about text adventures: http://www.getlamp.com/

Not really keen in seeing a half hour slide show.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #6

Thx for comments. I will try to follow your advice in my next video - 2011 Adventure Games. I hope, I will make it at the beginning of 2012
Old 11-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
lost in rubacava

I enjoyed it. I didn't even know some of those games existed! Not that I wouldn't argue about the importance of some of those games...jeez, Beavis and Butthead? But it was a fun trip back in time.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Senior *female* member

I too enjoyed watching it. A labor of love, must have taken a lot of time.
Couple of things I noticed:

- Tony Tough 2 and Hollywood Monsters have not been released in English.
- You included Cosmoloyg of Kyoto. Wow!
- I got the impression that 1st-person adventures are underrepresented. No Obsidian, Aura, Outcry, Barrow Hill, Noir, Rama, Reah, Golden Gate, Anacapri, Rhem. Of course it's impossible to include every single one (boy, am I glad you didn't show all 24 Nancy Drew games! ), but even so.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

Yes, it is true. The problem is, that I prefer 3rd person perspective and I don't play 1st person games often. That's why I forgot some titles.

BTW. I changed the title of the video. I agree, that "History" in the title suggests that there can be something more than just a simple slideshow.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
Filmfreak

Interesting vid!

Haven't watched the entire thing yet (will do so in two-three sittings), but have already seen more games I never heard about to last me a lifetime of catching up...
Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
I enjoyed it. I didn't even know some of those games existed! Not that I wouldn't argue about the importance of some of those games...jeez, Beavis and Butthead? But it was a fun trip back in time.
I would agree that many of the games were unimportant, but Beavis & Butthead was a great game. Have you played it? In fact, I'd easily put it in the top half of the games presented in the movie.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
lost in rubacava

No, I haven't played it. I couldn't bear the TV show, can't bear the wretchedly bad graphics or what passes for humor. Guess I'm showing my age. I'll be passing on South Park, too, if they make a game of it.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #13
Senior Automaton

Oh well, that's your prerogative. I found Beavis & Butthead Virtual Stupidity to be leagues ahead of games like Book of Unwritten Tales, Whispered World and The Next Big Thing in terms of maturity, and many other highly regarded adventure games. Just because the game is about a pair of childish adolescents doesn't say anything about the game itself.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #14
Fulci lives

Nice video.
It reminded me of a lot of games I had forgotten about.
Like Black Sails. Was that ever translated in english?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #15
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Just because the game is about a pair of childish adolescents doesn't say anything about the game itself.
Actually, it does.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Actually, it does.
I saw a documentary last night about children with Down's Syndrome. It was the dumbest program I've ever seen, I mean these children couldn't even do basic mathematics! It was such an immature show...
Old 11-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I saw a documentary last night about children with Down's Syndrome. It was the dumbest program I've ever seen, I mean these children couldn't even do basic mathematics! It was such an immature show...
A documentary about Beavis and Butthead might be interesting, but we're talking about playing a game, so your comparison is totally off. When I play a game, I'm not looking in from the outside, I'm not analysing what's going on, I'm not an objective observer of the B&B humor. I want to be immersed.

Last edited by Fien; 11-24-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Codger

Sorry! I know it had to be a work of love. But a 30+ minute PowerPoint presentation set to music was more than I could sit through. Had to quit at the six-minute mark.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
Senior Automaton

Wwhat do you mean? It's a third person adventure game. You're not playing as "you", and yes, you are an objective observer. Think of it as a puppet - a puppeteer controls the puppet but he isn't the puppet.

Your problem might be your desire to empathise with the characters - that this wasn't intended should be seen from the title "virtual stupidity". The characters are most definitely laughed at, not with.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #20
Senior *female* member

I find both first- and third-person adventures immersive. It's about the game world, story, etcetera. Sure, the first-person perspective may enhance for instance the feeling of creepiness in a horror game or the joy of exploration, but it doesn't change my perception of humor because that's always introduced by someone who is not "me". Whether I click on an object and get a humorous reply from Tex Murphy (me playing Tex), from a NPC in Zork Grand Inquisitor (me being the nameless, faceless, genderless player) or from Guybrush in Monkey Island (me being the puppeteer) makes no difference.

But IMO this is just confusing the issue. If I have a "problem" (and frankly I'm not entirely sure I have ) it's your claim that the B&B game is leagues ahead of many other adventures in terms of maturity. Could you explain to me where this maturity is to be found, if the humor itself is childish?