You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure games in the classroom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
scribeswindow

Default Adventure games in the classroom

Hi there, I'm looking at studying texts other than the novel in an English classroom. What I'm interested in is your thoughts of particular games that would translate well in a classroom setting. I'm thinking The Longest Journey would be a good one. Also Bladerunner. Any others? Has anyone here studied adventure games before?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Senior *female* member

What are the students supposed to learn from adventures games like Blade Runner and TLJ?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
scribeswindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
What are the students supposed to learn from adventures games like Blade Runner and TLJ?
I was using them as an example from the top of my head. The first thing that comes to mind is it could be a text that is modelling the genre of Science fiction or fantasy. Also it could be used to explore dystopian futures? I'm sure there are other games that would be useful to look at too. The Longest Journey could also maybe be described as a classic in Adventure games. Really the purpose of my thread is looking at ways of connecting with high school students through the use of other texts. Also, in the instance of Blade Runner it could be used as a tool to compare the game to the movie and the book etc. Anyway, hoping that I'm making sense here.......
Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
Senior Automaton

Sounds fine, as long as you're not just imposing your personal interests on the students. Most of my teachers in early schooling seemed only interested in forcing their hobbies on us, whether it was their 60s rock music idols, favorite romance books or Tai Chi. Nothing to be learned, just teacher's enjoyment.

In theory, I don't see why adventure games shouldn't be educational. I'm not sure they would be more educational than books, but probably more fun! I have actually seen games which walk you through the book, adventure game style. I can't remember the title of the series but it includes Tale of Two Cities and The Inferno. Maybe look into text adventures as well? If you're into dystopian futures, I could see something like A Mind Forever Voyaging being very educational, given the right kind of discussion and interactivity in class.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #5

The Jules Verne's clasics?
There was games made : Journey to the center of the earth and Mysterious island or after Robert Louis Stevenson , the game Destination:Tresure island by Bigfish games i think.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #6

Comparing movies, books and adventure games as different versions for the same title is a very good idea. Indeed, there are some good examples.

Apparently a game addresses the same subject with a very different approach. Often an excellent story of a novel does not work well for an adventure game - or the outcome may be something entirely different - e.g. Odyssey-The Search for Ulysses. I think this could be a most interesting topic to analyze.

Also, the characteristics of adventure game as a genre, the way it delivers meaning, could be interesting in itself.

Not to mention the expressly educational games with reconstructed locations, encyclopedies, and so on.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #7

teach Leisure Suit Larry
Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #8

Sorry but this sounds like a horrible idea!
If I've understood it right you're saying the educational part will be in the writing of essay/analysis about playing the games, but if that's the case then you want to pick something that can be looked at very quickly so the actual writing can take the biggest part,
in the case of adventure-games they are TIME-CONSUMING which means most of the time will be spent/wasted on playing entertainment, the answer to getting pupills more interested in school is NOT to turn school into entertainment.

With that said I personally would probably write one heck of a essay if the topic was a adventure-game rather than a boring book I was forced to read, BUT that's because adventure-games is my hobby, that may not be the case of your pupills, if you want them to be passionate about what they are writing ask them to write about a some topic in their personal hobby (which will be different for each individual).

With all that said: adventure-games has a HUGE potential as a tool to learn things like history, but the industry is not there yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #9

well there are short adventure games, especially among the episodic titles but not limited to those. plus you could just isolate a particular section of a game, either the early part or via a prepared save game

but it really depends on what you want to do with it. I think we need a bit more information on the context of the lesson before we can really recommend something
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus
Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrLOL View Post
With all that said: adventure-games has a HUGE potential as a tool to learn things like history, but the industry is not there yet.
The industry is not there yet...?? I've never heard such nonsense. There are loads of edutainment titles.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
scribeswindow

Firstly I need to add that I'm doing my Masters in Secondary teaching - so I'm not in classrooms as yet. This thread began because we need to do a presentation on connecting with students in the English classroom. I should also add that the idea of 'studying' a game is not in lieu of a novel, it's as well as written texts.

That being said admittedly I am probably foisting my own interests on students, however because I enjoy games so much I could argue that this will foster great enthusiasm.

I'm not sure that essays will be the right format for students to investigate games. It would probably best be used as a tool for group discussions and maybe presentations. I'm sure there are plenty of essays that will be written about other texts.

The other idea I had is connecting games with an ICT component of their curriculum. Unforunately I'm not the best person to be teaching that - but it may go well with that type of class.

Personally I don't see the actual playing of games as a time waster. Particularly as they would probably take students just as long as reading an entire novel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilaus View Post
Comparing movies, books and adventure games as different versions for the same title is a very good idea. Indeed, there are some good examples.

Apparently a game addresses the same subject with a very different approach. Often an excellent story of a novel does not work well for an adventure game - or the outcome may be something entirely different - e.g. Odyssey-The Search for Ulysses. I think this could be a most interesting topic to analyze.

Also, the characteristics of adventure game as a genre, the way it delivers meaning, could be interesting in itself.

Not to mention the expressly educational games with reconstructed locations, encyclopedies, and so on.
I'm probably of the same frame of mind here as you Pilaus, and I agree investigating narrative and its interpretation via different platforms would be very interesting.

cmac739 not sure if Leisure suit Larry would be appropriate.......

Anyway, thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think I will pursue this for my presentation. I've also got some ideas on the use of blogs and literature reading circles. On a side note, one well known Melbourne university studied The Longest JOurney for one of their media classes. That's where I got the idea from. Cheers
Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Senior *female* member

Lots of games are based on books. Even Hamlet: A Murder Mystery. See mobygames.com, game group browser, literature-inspired games. My personal favorite is the ancient game Dark Eye, based on Poe. You also get to hear Mr. Burroughs recite the Annabel poem. Maybe too creepy for high-school students.

I would never use The Longest Journey in a classroom setting. I have no idea what purpose that would serve. But I'm no teacher.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
My personal favorite is the ancient game (The) Dark Eye, based on Poe.
Mine too. Spooky.

Quote:
You also get to hear Mr. Burroughs recite the Annabel poem.
Moreover he reads the whole story The Masque of the Red Death.
What a memorable moment that was!

Quote:
Maybe too creepy for high-school students.
Let the windows open and they can jump out of them if necessary .
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Mine too. Spooky.

Moreover he reads the whole story The Masque of the Red Death.
What a memorable moment that was!

Let the windows open and they can jump out of them if necessary .
I loved the Sopranos, watched it on tv, bought all the DVDs. The episode "Members Only" starts with an awsome intro, an impressive male voice reciting a text which made me shiver. Huuuu! When it was over I knew I'd heard that voice before, but I couldn't place it. Turned out to be William Burroughs, reciting from his own work.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Thesaya

I think this is a great idea. When I was about 12 we got to play adventure games in class, you actually learn English very well from it.
I suppose this is an English class for native speakers though, I just wanted to add my positive experience with it.
I especially enjoyed when we played as a whole class, on a screen, everyone taking turns putting their hand up to suggest what to do next.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #16

Default Has been done before

If you look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5xFMmK5Ujs

It's quite interesting

see ya
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03303 View Post
If you look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5xFMmK5Ujs

It's quite interesting

see ya
WOW!!!
It's amazing how they enjoyed the ride at the end!
But that's a great text too. Myst could be an exciting world for children - as they don't yet have so many limits on their imagination.

I wonder if children of that age (or a little older?) should be able to solve those puzzles?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
scribeswindow

I also found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrkzXOV15k
They're interviewing the same guy who was teaching the class. Personally I didn't enjoy Myst, but seeing it taught this way I think even I would love it. I love looking at the children's faces in the classrooms, and that's really what we're wanting, connection. The writing examples read out loud sound great too.