You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Looking for laptop graphics recommendations!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 AM   #1

Default Looking for laptop graphics recommendations!

Hi everyone,

I love adventure games, like probably most everyone here, but moving around and such is making it ever more likely that I will have to get myself a laptop (lol yes, I'm a techno dinosaur!). Many of the features I need are pretty standard, but as far as running adventure games go, I'm totally lost - I'm looking for something that will run whatever's about currently and see me right for a few years to come. I think this is most dependent on graphics card and ram (and processor) but when I've tried out a few systems on those 'can i run it' type selectors, the graphics card (even dedicated ones up to 512 mb with extra shared) always comes up short. On the other hand, I just can't think that adventure games are going to be resource heavy enough to warrant a high end 'gaming' machine. Maybe I'm wrong

Therefore I guessed you wonderful people would be the best people to ask for recommendations. I can spend probably up to £600 in the end, but of course, something more around the £450 mark would be preferable. In addition to what's around at the moment and keeping me going for a little while into the future, I would also like to play existing 'modernish' games (Black Mirror 1, 2, 3, Still Life 1,2, Runaway series, Syberia, Sam & Max series etc etc) and games available from the AdventureStore as well as running various old point and clicks via scummvm or dosbox. This will also be my first departure from Windows XP, probably adding to my concerns and confusion

Looking forward to hearing from you all!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I have a 8.9 Acer which I used whilst travelling. It could play old games, Nancy Drews and Telltale games without problems. It couldn't play some newer games because of the intergrated chipset (that's what i was told). It worked well for me, but in hindsight I would've played demos to check if games worked before buying them - it's just I was on limited internet so I rarely downloaded, but bought discs instead.