You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #1

Default HOG burnout

I hope I'm not alone in this. The HO games were fun for a while, but then the genre seemed to be the only thing game companies were churning out these last several months. Am I missing something here? I'm not exactly new to the adventure genre, but I don't stay current either. Is 2011 the year of HOG?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

I grew tired of the formula quickly. I played Three Cards to Midnight and enjoyed it a lot, but that was more for the story and how it merged with the game-play.

To me, HOGs feel more like an activity you'd find in a puzzle book rather than a video game. You're checking off a list like a crossword and staring at an image like a "spot the difference". It's just too flat and repetitive for me.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Default Me too

Yes, those hidden object games got old for me after about the first month. There just isn't the fun in finding the leaf in the pile of junk that is hidden on the screen. I hope Bigfish comes up with something different, as this seems like the only games that they have now.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #4

Just played Puppet Town. Gorgeous visuals, but I exited the game accidentally without saving. I was probably 3/4 the way in... and the thought of going through the HO puzzles all over again made me want to cry. So I uninstalled the game.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. A. E. Hainsworth View Post
Just played Puppet Town. Gorgeous visuals, but I exited the game accidentally without saving. I was probably 3/4 the way in... and the thought of going through the HO puzzles all over again made me want to cry. So I uninstalled the game.
Hogs usually save your game automatically! Are you sure that there wasn't an autosave in your profile??
Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

Yeah, all HOG's autosave, but maybe he forced quit which didn't allow the game to autosave.

I agree though. HOG devs really don't take into account on how to make a game unique or different. So many HOG's followed a very narrow path make these games more of a clone than a new game.

Hard to play anymore since they all are boring me. except some few decent ones.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbday630 View Post
There just isn't the fun in finding the leaf in the pile of junk that is hidden on the screen.
My only comment is that you simply aren't playing the right games. If you aren't playing "HOGS" that include logic puzzles, design puzzles, inventory puzzles, you are shortchanging yourself. Try both of the Drawn games, Dire Grove. I think you will find a totally different experience.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #8

I loved the Drawn games!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. A. E. Hainsworth View Post
I loved the Drawn games!
Am waiting for the three-quel.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Yeah, all HOG's autosave, but maybe he forced quit which didn't allow the game to autosave.

I agree though. HOG devs really don't take into account on how to make a game unique or different. So many HOG's followed a very narrow path make these games more of a clone than a new game.

Hard to play anymore since they all are boring me. except some few decent ones.
Well not only they're not unique but they also use the same name...I mean they're all like "Mystery Blahblah: The Dark Blahblah". Use your imagination guys, you're recycling the same thing some years now!! Some times I feel like i'm seeing products coming from a factory, you knowlike we're going to sell the same "Black Beans" can but we're going to rename the label to "Mystery Cooking: Legend of Black Beans"

Last edited by Geothing; 03-27-2011 at 04:17 AM.