You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Telltale doing the "Walking Dead"! (And Hector Badge of Carnage! And King's Quest!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
Psychonaut

Default Telltale doing the "Walking Dead"! (And Hector Badge of Carnage! And King's Quest!)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...king-dead-game

Telltale is rumoured to be announcing 5 new games including one based on the fantastic comic and recent AMC TV show "The Walking Dead"

Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Schattenjäger

wow, cant wait to hear what else.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

after Back to the Future fiasco i'm not that much interested in their titles
Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #4

me neither, its all so stale and by the books, no great art design, no great writing, no great puzzle design.

its just average, (i have found all of their games to be average)

and while i like the walking dead, I think its AMC's worst written show. so im not really bothered if Telltale make an average game out of the property,

as long as they stay away from breaking bad and mad men
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #5

Ignoring the two above posts. This sounds great. I loved the Walking Dead. The show did really well and the critics loved it.

I only saw the first episode (waiting to for my boo to come over and we can watch the whole season back to back in HD), but I thought it was really awesome. The show takes its time to tell the story, instead of rushing it or making it to boring like so many zombie flicks. Its definitely not AMC's worst written show, nor is it badly written.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

I hope they make it like the comic so you can't tell any of the female protagonists apart. >:>
Old 01-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Ignoring the two above posts. This sounds great. I loved the Walking Dead. The show did really well and the critics loved it.

I only saw the first episode (waiting to for my boo to come over and we can watch the whole season back to back in HD), but I thought it was really awesome. The show takes its time to tell the story, instead of rushing it or making it to boring like so many zombie flicks. Its definitely not AMC's worst written show, nor is it badly written.
AMC only has two other current shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) and they are unquestionably better than Walking Dead. The canceled Rubicon is also better.

The show goes downhill as it progresses, so you can't use your one episode experience as a barometer. I liked it too after the first episode but find it really mediocre now. I'm still in the territory where I plan on watching season 2, but any DVR mistake could make me quickly drop it and forget it forever.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
AMC only has two other current shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) and they are unquestionably better than Walking Dead. The canceled Rubicon is also better.
That's Opinion not fact.

Besides the game could be based around the comic which is better than the TV show anyway.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #9

You are also comparing a distinctly different show than the other ones. This is a friggin zombie series. You can't compare it to some of the usual dramas.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
You are also comparing a distinctly different show than the other ones. This is a friggin zombie series. You can't compare it to some of the usual dramas.
I was just responding to your comparison.

The games do have the potential to turn out better than the series.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I LOVED rubicon!!!! so upset it was cancelled. One of the bravest TV shows I have seen in years in terms of its pace and atmosphere. It turned out most people didn't have enough patience (which was rewarded so much if you just stuck with it)

oh and yet again i agree the pilot of the walking dead was pretty close to perfect, the rest of the series got worse by the episode.

anyway back on topic, yeah im okay with it being adapted, and it could be good if its based on the comic book style. im really just waiting for telltale to make a great qualiity game, rreally go all out with one of their properties.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
after Back to the Future fiasco i'm not that much interested in their titles
I have not enjoyed any of their episodic adventures with the exception of TOMI. Those were worth the play.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #13

I just plain out haven't been very impressed with Telltale's job at ANYTHING so far. They tend to just whitewash games with updated graphics and no additional heart or inspiration. Back to the Future was only enjoyable because I loved the movies so much.

Having said that, if you haven't watched The Walking Dead you are missing out. Fantastic adaption of a graphic novel, and better than the original material in my opinion. The casting for the show is top notch and the time put into each episode really shows. I'll probably have to play Telltales' version just to satisfy the need for more TWD.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:03 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to Thesaya

I must say I am not at all impressed with the tv series, it had all the potential of greatness but quickly went to stereotypical characters and too diffuse background. I haven't read the graphic novel but if there is to be a zombie apocalypse AG there is SO many other stories out there to choose from. I am not at all excited.
When it comes to telltale, I was very impressed with their work in MI, but all others left me disappointed, especially Sam and Max. I have yet to play BTTF, but from what I have read I'd better not get my hopes up. Telltale have gotten the gaming publics attention and directed it back towards AGs again, but other than that and MI, I feel they just try to hard to do too much in too little time.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #15

they have a system, a pipeline that they have mastered now, and they stick to it.

the only thing that can really let them push the envelope is the writing, but even that seems to stick to a strict formula,

their games are never ambitious, never taking any risks, never given a distinct flavour or direction. its just a strict workflow, that all their staff have probably mastered now and its how they can push these games out fairly regularly, to always fairly positive reviews and reception.

but for me there is never any (for lack of a better word) soul in their games

they are successful with this method though, so there is no reason why they would change it. And if they keep it up with these famous and popular properties and at least increase some exposure for AGs then it can only be a great thing.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #16

I'm so glad to see i'm not the only person totally indifferent to Telltale games.

I've been playing a lot of 90s AGs recently and the thing that strikes me is how innovative or different a lot of them were; how they were trying to distinguish themselves and do something original to push the format on. The exact opposite seems to be the case nowadays with companies like Telltale games releasing niche market nostalgia games. Let's have something new! Not these boring old licenses and boring Monkey Island remakes.

Why make a game from a mediocre comic book anyway? You could make any old zombie game, you don't need the license; it can hardly be that much of a draw. Are Telltale games terrified of making any game without a property that already has an established fan / market base to sell it to? They don't seem to have much confidence in their product.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #17

it might be that way but when i play something that i like how it plays and the interface and stuff i want to play others like it.Like with music when you listen to a song and then you want to listen to other songs like that.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #18

I'm really surprised at the anti-Telltale sentiment. I am largely in that camp as well (and posted about it in the "Games you 'hate'" thread), but I always assumed that most adventure gamers ate Telltale's stuff up and were perfectly content to play games that haven't evolved in 20+ years, arguably having devolved in the last decade.

For what it's worth, Dave Grossman said some things in a recent interview that indicated that Telltale is going more for the casual market. I'm fine with that - enjoy the games in that way, but don't tell me that Telltale is the current Sierra or Lucasarts. I've seen a lot of defending Telltale's ancient technology along the lines of "adventure games were never about the latest and greatest graphics, they were always about characters and telling a good story". That is false, and even if it were true, Telltale's writing is often dull anyway.

All this said, to my surprise I am enjoying Sam & Max S3 after 2 episodes. It actually does do some new and interesting things. My distaste stems from Sam & Max S1, and free episodes of ToMI and W&G.

Here is a great interview with Roberta Williams from 1999 that I came across. She saw the possibility of stagnation in the genre. It's pretty insightful:

http://www.justadventure.com/Intervi...terview_3.shtm
Old 01-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #19

Quote:
For what it's worth, Dave Grossman said some things in a recent interview that indicated that Telltale is going more for the casual market. I'm fine with that - enjoy the games in that way, but don't tell me that Telltale is the current Sierra or Lucasarts.

The problem is there isn't really a current Sierra or Lucasarts, just small independants mostly (certainly most of the interesting games come from small independants, who, obviously and unfortunately, don't have the budget that adventure games may have enjoyed in the past). The only real commercial AGs are the ones that are designed to sell straight to the traditional / nostalgia market, which is very small.

I guess that Microids for a short time could have claimed the title of 'market leader' (such as it is) for Adventure games and they were probably the last company to put out games in the genre with really good production values that could possibly vie for a place in the Adventure hall of fame. There have been some excellent games but not usually with the budget and production values to keep up with technology and impress non-stalwarts of the genre or to adequately promote the game.

Actually, lack of promotion is the biggest problem Adventure games face in my opinion. No-one is innovating because they are selling to the nostalgia market who want things kept exactly the same and they can't afford to alienate that market. But there is a bigger potential market for these games, even without anything new, that they simply don't tap into, either through lack of funds for proper promotion or through badly placed promotion.

Notice how many more women you get on adventure forums than other games sites? Notice how many older people you get? I sometimes play Adventure games with my mum. I can't imagine her playing Sonic or Resident Evil somehow! What a huge potential audience there that is largely uncatered for by the game industry. I do feel that a really good Adventure game, promoted cleverly to the right non-traditional gaming markets could be huge and give it's developer a real boost. They could then reinvest their profit into something more innovative and groundbreaking and the genre may begin to move forward again. We need someone clever and visionary to get the genre away from the nostalgia market; a Cyan for the 2010s.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #20

I'm not a fan of Telltales style at all so I'm not looking forward to this despite being a huge fan of the show. I'll take a look if it actually come's out but I really can't see myself getting it.