You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure what should I play

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #1

Default what should I play

I have really only played text adventures such as those from Infocom and also the magnetic scrolls adventures. I might be behind the times a bit here but these are brilliant.

I would like to know if you would have advice on other adventure games that you can get immersed in just like those text adventures of old.

Any recommendations of adventure games would be great.

Thanks
Batman
Old 11-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #2

wow, you have a lot of catching up to do... I'll suggest you start with older games like all those old king quest and space quest games and from there work yourself slowly to the new games...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 11-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome! Lucky for you, you don't have any preconceived notions yet about what sort of (graphic) adventures you like. I suggest going to AG's list of reviews -- scroll down to the listing at the bottom of the page, view "All," and sort by rating -- and then read through the reviews of some of the highest rated games to pick one that appeals to you.

That's more or less how I got back into adventure gaming after a 4 year hiatus, during which time Sierra (my favorite developer) had pretty much gone out of the adventure business. I felt totally lost not knowing where to start. (The game I ended up re-starting with was The Longest Journey, due to the great review on this site!)
Old 11-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #4

I recommend Broken Sword 1(shadow of the templars) or 2(the smoking mirror). The Smoking Mirror's the game that got me into AGs and games in general but it's probably better to start with the first one.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #5

I think Luther10 has it right. Start with the older adventures, first and work you way forward. The old Sierra games are a good place to start. Many of them can be found on GOG very cheaply. Beyond that, there are some must plays like The Longest Journey.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
She Wants Revenge

Gabriel Knights have very rich stories you get sucked into. Many more modern games can be very good but rarely have as good or deep story as some of the older classics.

And my favourite Discworld Noir is just superb by all terms. Logical, interesting, immersive with lots of humour that just adds to the game and doesn't make it so silly you still couldn't really live the actual story and adventure in the game.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
Given to fly

I would find yourself a list of what are regarded as the best adventure games, and then go through them in chronological order. Since you come from text adventures, the early Sierra games (King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, etc) would serve as a nice bridge between text adventures and graphic adventures, as they still used a text-input interface.

The early-to-mid 90's was the best era for adventure games in my opinion, and this is where I think you could find the most enjoyment, but these will be mouse-driven games.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

I personally disagree with the "start with oldies" advice. Older games can take some patience, both to get them running and to deal with gameplay annoyances that have since fallen out of style. Yes, there are some great old games, but I don't think it's necessarily the best place to start.