You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #1

Default Syberia sucks!

Why is it so popular? I even played the second one (just finished it). The story is somewhat interesting, the graphics are pretty good, but the overall game is so boring I had to fight myself just to finish it. The puzzles are mind numbing. Most adventure games of this style (like Still Life, or GK series, etc) I replay a bunch of times throughout the years, I don't think I'll ever replay this one ever again. There's no point. Stupidest game ever, I feel bad for people who think this is as good as it gets
Old 09-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #2

Just because u didn't like it doesn't mean that it sucks. Other people like it because they have different taste then u but you don't have to be an a.s.s. U feel bad for people who like it well I feel bad for you because your an ignorant a.s.s,h.o.le.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to kathrynrose Send a message via Yahoo to kathrynrose

Just what i would had said. Thanks Ryan.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
merely human

Ryan, cool it with the name calling, please. We don't do that in this community.

Sorry you didn't like it, RockNFknRoll, but Ryan has a point. Though you're one of the many detractors, it is considered one of the strongest series in the adventure game genre. I played the first one and even wrote a dissertation on the game's symbolisms, but I tend to agree with some of your feedback on it. The gameworld, I found, was annoyingly sterile, replete with many things to interact with (a trend in the genre in recent years, they're so damn stingy). The graphics are gorgeous and the character design, to some extent, is pretty decent.

Still, as mentioned, it's one of the more critically acclaimed adventure games of its time.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Funky Member

The only thing that really bugged me was how every sentence in the entire game had the words "Kate Walker" somewhere in it. They were all "Kate Walker" this and "Kate Walker" that. Dem robotz all like "Kate Walker, take old dude to Kate Walker Syberia, first wind Kate Walker up da train, and find me some robot lubricant Kate Walker."
Old 09-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Roman5

What with the middle part of RockNFknRoll's name and Ryans cursing, this thread should have been moved to the AG Tourettes forum ages ago.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by portabello
The only thing that really bugged me was how every sentence in the entire game had the words "Kate Walker" somewhere in it. They were all "Kate Walker" this and "Kate Walker" that. Dem robotz all like "Kate Walker, take old dude to Kate Walker Syberia, first wind Kate Walker up da train, and find me some robot lubricant Kate Walker."
But you know, no other game has ever had a sentence that stayed with me. I can always hear Oscars ' HURRY-BACK..KATE-WALKER ' as soon as syberia is mentioned. I think that's quite a compliment to the game in some ways.
Oh, there is also the Black Mirror where you get 'I will return to my work' and 'I will go now' repeatedly after just about every dialogue. In that case it was kind of annoying.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Funky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5
But you know, no other game has ever had a sentence that stayed with me. I can always hear Oscars ' HURRY-BACK..KATE-WALKER ' as soon as syberia is mentioned. I think that's quite a compliment to the game in some ways.
For me it will always be: "How appropriate, you fight like a cow!"

Or for Riven: "..."
Old 09-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by portabello
For me it will always be: "How appropriate, you fight like a cow!"

Or for Riven: "..."
I think this would make a good thread topic if it hasn't been done already. 'What is the most memorable line from a game that sticks in your mind'. Probably been done though.

edit: Ooh, 1 year later and 400 posts.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5
What with the middle part of RockNFknRoll's name and Ryans cursing, this thread should have been moved to the AG Tourettes forum ages ago.
LOL! Good one.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #11
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I bought and played bought Syberia games when they were released, I completed both, I didn't like them.

They looked nice but that was about it, I know they sold like crazy amounts all around the world and many people hold them like the best adventure of modern times or something like that.

My main points were that I didn't like the non-interactivity that plagued both games, I didn't like the voice acting except for Kate Walker, I hated the Myst-like puzzles, I just don't like them, that's not going to change and I know it. The story was much more uninteresting that I had hoped, I had so much hopes for Sokal's writing, because I like his Canardo comics so much. I have read each and everyone of them that have been translated into Finnish.

The graphics did look wonderful, the game had very good art direction and very talented artists.

I did read Trep's dissertation and that was really good, it helped me understand the game a little bit more.

But in the end I rank Syberias as modern adventure failures, just like Runaway and so many other promising adventures.

Many people do like the games, and I can't change that, I wouldn't even want to change that.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:46 PM   #12
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I do think it has had a kind of negative impact on the genre though. Since Syberia came out we're seeing loads of AG's now with baron, non-interactive backgrounds that aren't required to have much in the gameplay department "because the story is so strong".

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I did read Trep's dissertation and that was really good, it helped me understand the game a little bit more.
Oh good. Thanks for that. I don't think I would have written it had I not been in a transitional moment in my life. The idea behind Sokal's story was inspiring, though I think its execution was quite flawed here and there in terms of game narrative.

Quote:
But in the end I rank Syberias as modern adventure failures, just like Runaway and so many other promising adventures.
Personally I don't think it's a failure, at least not completely. Where it shines is in the story concept and art direction, a rarity in modern adventures. Where I think it missed was in the pacing, the lack of immersiveness in terms of gameworld interaction, the puzzle ideas, and the formulaic, predictable character development.

It was as if, in Sokal's fixation focus on trying to tell a good story, he forgot that there was supposed to be a game in there somewhere, and that there was supposed to be a world where the player should be able to lose him/herself in relation to the story. Instead, Sokal got lazy or absentminded and spat out the usual adventure game drivel, things we've all seen before, played before.

Syberia had incredible potential to be a great epic, and during some moments it demonstrated such and you wanted those moments to stretch far to the end of the game......except that they never did.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
Master of time and space

I think Syberia is overrated, but not bad. Some parts of it was really involving while others were not.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 AM   #15
Evil Webmaster

Too bad the good story ended one hour into the first game, the rest of the first game and the second one too is filled with useless stories of unidimensional characters that could only make sense in Sokal's mind (which has done the same thing again with Paradise, how can someone like him be described as a genius, really I don't know).
So there you go
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #16
Lazy Bee

I truly enjoyed playing Syberia although I never experience any Hallelujah moments. It's not on my top 5. I was bothered with the voice acting of Kate Walker. She was reading her lines instead of acting them. At least that's how I heard it. I liked the originality of the story and enjoyed the easy puzzles. I'm now looking forward to playing Syberia II.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #17

I loved Syberia. I've still not managed to get hold of Syberia II though.

Nor for that matter Paradise, because I live IN THE FLIPPING UK! DO YOU HEAR ME SOKAL!!!

Deep breath, relax....
Old 09-13-2006, 04:38 AM   #18

I, too, loved Syberia ... although I didn't expect to. I bought it because of its good rating, despite the fact that I didn't like the looks of all that strange machinery I saw in its promotional shots.

A minute into the game, I loved it. The art was wonderful, the film clips superb, the character of Kate involving AND evolving. I found her voice nuanced and strong. It's turned out to be one of my favorite games.

The phrase I can't forget is when Kate goes for the suitcase and says: "No need to weight myself down!"

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinking_dylan
I loved Syberia. I've still not managed to get hold of Syberia II though.
I searched in vain throughout the US & Canada for Syberia 11. In the end, I had a friend buy it online. It was worth it! Although Kate's character became secondary to Hans' goals, it is still an excellent game.

But it has made me wish Kate would live again in another game.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 09-13-2006, 04:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives
The phrase I can't forget is when Kate goes for the suitcase and says: "No need to weight myself down!"
For me it was the 'No need to go down there' phrase. God, must heard it a few hundred times during the game. I've only played the first Syberia game, and I'm not exactly a big fan. What bothered me the most, as already mentioned, was the uninteractive environments, the endless running around, lack of decent puzzles and the most annoying sidekick in adventure game history (yes, I'm looking at you Oscar). The graphics were great and the story was decent I guess, but that's about it. One day I'll play the second Syberia, if I can find it cheap, but it's not exactly on my high priority list now.