You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What adventure game should i play?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 AM   #1

Default What adventure game should i play?

Hey my all time favorite adventure games are:

Monkey Island (all)
Day of the Tenticle
Grim Fandango
Twinsens Adventure 1 & 2
Full Throttle
The Dig
and i just recently played machinarium and thought it was simple great little game - also played Samorost but didnt think it was as good

Anyway I really want to play a good enjoyable adventure game - and dont know what! Can anyone can help me out?
Whats really good adventure game i can play?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 AM   #2

You might try dabbling in Sierra games . I'd reccomend Space Quest if you like sci-fi and humour that skewers popular culture. You can die in these games, but the deaths some of the best parts. A more recent one that I enjoyed would be The Black Mirror. Some good freeware ones are Beneath a Steel Sky, Kings Quest 1 and 2 remakes by AGDI, Kings Quest 3 remake by Infamous Adventures or A Tale of Two Cities. Also, since you like Lucas Arts, you should try Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, which is my fav LA game
Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #3

I do recall Kings Quest and Space Quest but never got into them - i tried playing them but think my problem was shit graphics and they seemed hard - also didnt seem enjoyable (like they were boring) maybe i didnt give them a go
- I think i have them on classic games formatted for mac - so might try it again

I played beneath steel sky (but cant remember much) i remember it was ok

I found 3 games which seem ok - will try and download:
Neverhood, Toonstruck and Psychonauts
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono-Serge View Post
You might try dabbling in Sierra games . I'd reccomend Space Quest if you like sci-fi and humour that skewers popular culture. )

Popular culture from 20 - 30 years ago.

Why is this genre of game stuck so much in the past?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Popular culture from 20 - 30 years ago.

Why is this genre of game stuck so much in the past?
The pop culture that matters just kidding.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

Since you seem to be a LucasArts man, try Telltale's stuff, especially their Sam & Max series.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moro View Post
I found 3 games which seem ok - will try and download:
Neverhood, Toonstruck and Psychonauts
Psychonauts isn't an adventure game, it's a platformer. It's a very good and extremely well-written platformer, one of my favorites, but it's really a wholly different genre.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #8

You need to play the Broken Sword games, particularly the first one. Also, there's some excellent freeware titles like the Ben Jordan series, 5 Days A Stranger and its follow ups (or sequel, prequel, sequel in that order). Try out The Longest Journey, Syberia, Still Life - they're all great games.

If you're interested in freeware games visit www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk It's website that has a development tool to download for free so you can create your own adventures. Plus there's a database of games made with the engine for you to try out!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #9

Yeah I played Sam and Max hit the road - it was good - maybe i should have included it in my favorites list - I went to play the next Sam and Max but couldnt get into the 3D interface (i think i preferred it in good old 2D)

I have played the 1st Broken Sward - and thought it was good - Although its more of a sherlock homes / more serious version of of adventure games that im used to

Ive also played Syberia and the longest journey but cant really remember that much about them - i played both to the end so they must have been good - but they never really made a big impact

Google Images of Still Life look pretty good - Never heard of it

Thanks for the info - might check out the freeware titles
Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
I like tea.

I second every recommendation of a classic Revolution Software game mentioned above. If you like Lucasarts' stuff, then you should love these games. There's slightly less humour, but the laughs are still there, and it's compensated for by excellent storylines

Beneath A Steel Sky - This and Monkey Island 2 are constantly fighting for the postion of being my favourite adventure game. When it comes to story-telling, this game has hit the nail on the head.

Broken Sword 1 and 2 - I was in love with Broken Sword when I first played it. Beautiful graphics, beautiful music, beautiful everything. The plot is brilliant for it's slow development of a simple murder story into a supernatural conspiracy, keeping you wanting answers all along. The sequel does this too, but with more linear gameplay.

I wouldn't hold the remaining Broken Sword games in such a high regard, but they're still worth playing. Broken Sword 3 has a very nice atmosphere and a good story, and it's nice move of the series into 3D graphics. However, gameplay can become annoying when faced with endless crate puzzles and 'action sequences'. Broken Sword 4 again had a very nice atmosphere to it, but that's all I can say for it. The story just didn't have me hooked at all and I found myself completely uninterested by the characters.

Moving away from Revolution Software, The Simon the Sorcerer games are also brilliant, especially for humour. Simon the Sorcerer 2 is one of the funniest games I have ever played. You'll hear a lot of criticism against Simon the Sorcerer 3D for it's dated graphics and dodgy controls, but I say those flaws are worth putting up with. I still found myself very entertained by the game, especially as it retains the humour of its predecessor.

As for Simon the Sorcerer 4, don't even touch it. It was made by different developers and aside from some nice graphics and music, is just appalling. The story's terrible and Simon is a completely different person to who he is in the previous games. I've not played the fifth game in the series, but having played number four, I have no desire to.