You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Curse of Monkey Island ending question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #1

Default Curse of Monkey Island ending question.

I was dissapointed by the ending. What is Big Whoop, an amusement park?

Why did such a beautiful atmospheric game, with beuatiful art have to end in a disgusting tacky amusement park... they ruined the game by introducing such a jarring element into a carribbean themed game.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
I changed my title

They were probably trying to resolve the impossible ending of MI2. Making it a theme park ties in with it, I guess.

I take it you haven't played Escape From Monkey Island? That one was even worse in inserting unrelated things into the setting.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #3

So big whoop is a place where you become young again? I didn't get it/
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #4

The whole Big Whoop enigma has been the subject of many, many debates for more than a decade now. But it doesn't only pertain to CMI. In fact, you'll find many references and tidbits of information that alludes to a theme park throughout the first two games, some of them are subtle while others border on the obvious. Then there's the ending of MI2, which I'm not going to delve into, if only because it's been discussed to death for years and it would also spoil a considerable moment out of MI2 if you haven't played it already. One thing is pretty much certain however, the theme park at the end of CMI didn't come out of nowhere. Replay the games and you'll see.

Ultimately, the Carnival of the Damned's place within the Monkey Island lore is undeniable. Whether one thinks it fits the atmosphere and art design or considers it, like you say, as a jarring disruption is an entirely personal thing.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #5

I read up on it, and it seems that Big Whoop is a source of demonic power that gives leChuck his ability. The curse of LeChuck is what causes Guybrush to appear as a child at the end of MII, to trap him in a false delusion of chidhood perhaps?

I still would not have written the story this way... the amsuement park idea was just plain tacky and is anti-climatic after the wonderful colonial carribean themes and relaxing music. Still, it is still the best game ever due to its music and art of all time, surpassing Grim Fandango by a hair. I prefer the music over the previous M1/M2.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertopollo View Post
I read up on it, and it seems that Big Whoop is a source of demonic power that gives leChuck his ability.
When you're on Plunder Island at the beginning of the game, and you have your first exhaustive conversation with the Voodoo Lady, you can ask her about Big Whoop and she gives several hints about the events that are about to unfold. Note her explanation of what Big Whoop truly is, according to her anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puertopollo View Post
I prefer the music over the previous M1/M2.
That, I agree. To me (and perhaps I'll be shot for this), CMI's music compositions and the way they were skillfully mixed and engineered surpasses any other Monkey Island game, including the Special Editions. It marked the first time I heard such a gorgeous mix of real and synthesized instruments within an adventure game. And of course, I'll always have fond memories of A pirate I was meant to be and the Banjo solo; those are splendid moments.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
And of course, I'll always have fond memories of A pirate I was meant to be and the Banjo solo; those are splendid moments.
Trim the sails and roam the sea!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Trim the sails and roam the sea!
Lalalalalaaaaaa! Lalalalala lala lalalala!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #9
Game Creator Hobbyist

I like to say that the worst thing about the ending of MI2 was what it did to the end of MI3.

Endings are difficult to get right.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #10

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Although Curse was the third instalment and that makes it 'Monkey Island 3' I don't see why they can't make a new game that connects LCR to CSMI and maybe some kind of 'Director's Cut' of EMI... Except with a different director.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
I like tea.

Wasn't the idea that Big Whoop was a gateway to Hell or something? Hence LeChuck's demonic powers?

Also, I'm curious, what would you say are the theme park references in Monkey Island 1? I can't really think of anything aside from perhaps the vending machine at Stan's place.

Though many people are opposed to the whole carnival theme at the ends of Monkey Islands 2 and 3, it's still a darn sight better than the ending of Escape From Monkey Island. That just went too far.