You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dark Fall II Lights Out ending

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Dark Fall II Lights Out ending

Well, this thread is probably a bit of a blast from the past, but what can I say, I'm behind the times. Oh, also, just in case you couldn't tell from the "ending" part of the title, this will be reasonably spoiler-ish.

I just finished Dark Fall II and enjoyed it, but I was a bit confused by the ending. What exactly happens once Malakai is launched? Did everything he did get un-done? Did the keepers re-appear? Was my character trapped in ancient history? Did my character get back to the mainland in 1912 and punch Demarian for making the alternate future believe I was a crazy murderer?

So, please give me your two cents on the subject, so I can feel like I have some closure. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

Unfortunately the ending is pretty much what it was in the first game: everthing was undone as if it never happened.

I love Jonathan Boakes' games. I think he is creating the most stylish adventure games currently being produced... but his big weakness is resolving his stories satisfactorily.

When i was first playing Lights Out i was convinced that there was a twist right around the corner and that i SHOULDN'T be doing the obvious thing of collecting the Malakai co-ordinates. This was mainly based on minor elements that i mistook for clues (the fortune cookies, the disembodied children and their drawings and some other obscure stuff). Unfortunately i was mistaken and it was as obvious as it seemed.

I take it you're playing the original version? The director's cut makes it all a bit clearer, sadly at the loss of most of the games non-linearity (and rendering some scenes totally illogical along the way: the scene with Polly White, the brilliant tourist recreation of the lighthouse keepers), a possibly regressive direction Boakes has continued to take with Lost Souls.

As someone who first came to the adventure genre with Myst and who completed Riven without walkthroughs or hints of any kind (I wasn't online back then) i can honestly say that Jonathan doesn't have to simplify things for me. Give the gamers credit Jonathan and fulfill the promise you make in the promotional blurbs and give us non-linear games!

Sorry, for the long tangent at the end there... been meaning to get that off my chest but never get around to posting )