You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default Unique interfaces

Point'n'Click vs. Direct Control discussion aside, sometimes games defy such categorization. A few days ago I had the pleasure to finish The Loom. The game is charming in every aspect, and the interface is definitely one of them. There is no inventory (*gasp*) and no list of icons or verbs (this may not sound surprising today, but was quite original back in 1990). The only way to interact with environment is either simple clicking or casting a spell, latter of which you do by playing a simple tune on a magical staff. The whole idea was so cool that, despite being practically tone-deaf, I bravely played the game through on the expert difficulty setting (you have to recognize the notes by yourself).

Anyway, I realised some of the best AGs I played had, at least partly, unusual interfaces. There was a set of funny magical spells in a couple of Zork/Zorkish games, and ingenious one in the forgotten Death Gate by Legend Entertainment. Blade Runner is an uneven game, but the basic idea behind it (the digital database rather than inventory) had great potential. It showed especially in analyzing the photographs with ESPER, which was fantastic. I haven't played Spycraft, but I understand it featured similar - but better - ganeplay. And as far as computer assistants are concerned, Gabriel Knight 3's Sydney is a must-mention.

What other fine examples do you know?