You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Curse of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 04:07 AM   #1
Mad Rabbit

Default Curse of Monkey Island

I just finished playing Curse of Monkey Island (Mega Monkey), and I'm proud to say I completed the game without ever looking at walkthrough or a single hint, aside from the spoiler in WontonGoodsoup's sig.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the game. The graphics were excellent as was the voice acting. I was surprised to find that Gary Coleman provided the voice of Kenny Falmouth.

I also like all of the small details that were added to the game, such as the clock tower that actually displayed the correct time, the ability to use the ventriloquism book on all of the characters, and of course feeding a stick of gum to Murray. It made things less boring the few times I got stuck.

My only complaint is with a couple of the puzzles, but I won't go into detail on that.

I'm glad that I went ahead and played the first two MI games before this one. The story made more sense and it helped in certain areas such as the Insult Sword Fighting. I also understood what Guybrush was looking at when he stuck his head through that easy-to-miss hole in the Goodsoup tomb. Seeing Stan pop out of that coffin was amusing as well, since I understood how he got there in the first place.

I only have one question. Who's Bobbin Threadbare? Guybrush mentioned his name while trying to convince LeChuck to spare his life. He argued that a lack of any game sequels was cause LeChuck's name to be forgotten, like Bobbin Threadbare's. I understand he's a character from Loom, but I didn't get the joke.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:50 AM   #2
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
I only have one question. Who's Bobbin Threadbare? Guybrush mentioned his name while trying to convince LeChuck to spare his life. He argued that a lack of any game sequels was cause LeChuck's name to be forgotten, like Bobbin Threadbare's. I understand he's a character from Loom, but I didn't get the joke.
*WARNING - Spoilers Ahead*

Bobbin was the main character in Loom. At the end of the game, he transfigured himself into a swan and crossed over to the other side of the Universe, where the Dead once dwelled (until they were freed during the game).

The fact that this ending was not that good for a sequel, with the main character no longer in a position to be a hero, leads Guybrush to comment that without him (the hero), there will be no further MI games, just as there were no Loom sequels.

In actual fact, there were plans for two Loom sequels starring two different characters from the first game, but these plans were axed early in development.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
and I'm proud to say I completed the game without ever looking at walkthrough or a single hint, aside from the spoiler in WontonGoodsoup's sig.
I never thought of that. That's just one of my favorite lines in any adventure game.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #4

The Curse of Monkey Island is an awesome game but the ending is too short. I guess you're playing Escape From Monkey Island now?
Old 03-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
The Curse of Monkey Island is an awesome game but the ending is too short. I guess you're playing Escape From Monkey Island now?
CMI is my personal favorite as far as AGs go. In my opinion the characters, jokes, and graphics can't be matched.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #6
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
The Curse of Monkey Island is an awesome game but the ending is too short.
I agree. I just found this over at worldofmi.com. I wonder why they took it out of the game. The ending would've been much better if they hadn't.

Missing Scene

Quote:
I guess you're playing Escape From Monkey Island now?
Yep.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #7

I've seen that missing scene storyboard before and it looks awesome. They should have put it in the game. If LucasArts ever makes a Special Edition version or a Director's Cut they should put it in the game. Escape From Monkey Island is pretty cool.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Bobbin was the main character in Loom. At the end of the game...
Thanks for the explanation.