You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Just finished The Longest Journey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
Escaped Monkey Island

Default Just finished TLJ

I just got done with playing TLJ and first off let me say that it is truly an awesome adventure game. I only have two complaints.
First is the amount of time you spend in the game waiting for people to walk around. For example the librarian in arcadia walks incredibly slow like most the rest of the characters. Even waiting for april to run across the screen sometimes is lengthy.
Second is that there was alot of talking in that game. Sometimes i would skip lines because the talking was just drawn out and useless.
But other than that it was such a good game. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonGoodsoup
I just got done with playing TLJ and first off let me say that it is truly an awesome adventure game. I only have two complaints.
First is the amount of time you spend in the game waiting for people to walk around. For example the librarian in arcadia walks incredibly slow like most the rest of the characters. Even waiting for april to run across the screen sometimes is lengthy.
Second is that there was alot of talking in that game. Sometimes i would skip lines because the talking was just drawn out and useless.
But other than that it was such a good game. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, I'm currently replaying TLJ and for some reason, hitting escape doesn't make her skip the running parts like it used to. I don't know why, so now it takes forever for her to run all the way across some of the larger areas. I don't know if it's something to do with Windows XP or what, weird though. I agree with some of the talking portions. I always skip through most of the dialogue in the Flying People section, because it's so long and drawn out, and has no relevance to the story whatsoever. Other than that, I agree, awesome game, can't wait for the sequel.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
Irritant F0rum Beasty

To be honest, I wasn't completely taken with this game. Sure it's good, but I don't really see what it is that gets people so excited about it. I found it pretty easy and also very linear. I always felt that I was being rushed through it, and not really getting the time to appreciate all the locations. I admit that there's a plenty to like about it, but I wouldn't put it up there with my favourites.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:00 AM   #4

Yeah it's such a good game. The dialogue was (too) long but I never felt the desire to skip it. In some way, it was more "realistic" than the dialogue in any other game. Other games do tend to go right for the million dollar question. I guess I can't escape replaying it now, you've made me!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
Sure it's good, but I don't really see what it is that gets people so excited about it.
For me, it had a lot to do with april's character developemnt. alot of characters in AGs don't seem to change that much, but april went through a kind of self-realization process that made me more attached. Also the story was very solid and didn't seem to have any holes (that i noticed anyways).
Old 03-25-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
Headbanger

A really great game indeed.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #7

I love this game to death. I'm currently replaying it, and it's every bit as good as I remembered it. First of all, the game lets you participate in Aprils life. It's not rushing you straight into the save-the-world deal, instead, you're allowed to take part in her school-work, friends and work.
Also, the dialogue just feels real. Especially when she talks to her friends.
The puzzles are all nicely integrated into the game, and don't feel forced. As for people walking slowly, it's just a part of the game. Some people are slow-walkers.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #8
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
As for people walking slowly, it's just a part of the game. Some people are slow-walkers.
Well there must be some sort of slow motion issues in the future, because everyone walks slow. In fact even april walks indescribably slow unless you make her run.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
Fum
Indegan Peningald

TLJ is easily one of my top five favorite games of all time. I love everything about it. I'm going to have to reinstall and replay it soon, just can't stop myself .

mrdunn, somewhere in the options menu there is a check box to allow or disallow time skipping with the 'Esc' key. I know it worked to skip dialog (but you shouldn't! ), I also thought it worked to skip the NPCs walking animation too, but I might be thinking of some other game.

EDIT: Needed to fix a smiley.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #10

I just got my hands on the game (I could never find it locally, and then I stumbled upon it at a local EB), so I'm going through it for the first time. I'm also dealing with bugs (missing polygons) when using 3D acceleration. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #11
Revolution Fanatic

As soon as my exams are over I'm gonna play TLJ again, It's one of the best ever created. Another great aspect is that you will so many varients of landscapes. You have the city which is a mix between futurastic, industrial and derelict. You visit the ocean, sunny islands, space, medevil country. There's so much depth in the game.
I kinda feel it's many adventure games in one.
"Don't go anywhere, where could I possibly go?"
Old 03-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #12

Default i agree

Yeah, I'm having the same problem with Syberia...except in Syberia, you can't skip any of the animations. I liked being able to press escape in TLJ and get her across esp. that fountain in Stark. Also, I don't like when games give you a clear location to go to in a cutscene and then make you go there all by yourself, even when there is absolutely no obstacles in your way. It just seems to be a waste of time to me. I liked changing the speed to faster or fastest in the old sierra games. Ahh...those were the days...
Old 03-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #13
guybrush_guy

i loved the ending, compleate ausomness

Old 03-26-2004, 12:17 AM   #14
Cannabis Connoisseur

Quite possibly, one of my all time favorite adventure games. I don't mind the endless talking in the game for one reason: Effort and Creativity. The writers and the voice actors did a phenominal job on creating such a great game. Kudos to them.
The story was amazing, the character development was truely remarkable, the amimations and backdrops were breathtaking.
Syberia was pretty good too...
Old 03-26-2004, 01:05 AM   #15
Dr Uberman

Such a great, epic story was what made this game so good.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:42 AM   #16
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

I don't see whats so special about thise story. Very coomon save-the-world-story.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia
I don't see whats so special about thise story. Very coomon save-the-world-story.
Are you kidding? There hasn't been a more epic quest since KQ1!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #18

since KQ6...the best king's quest in my humble opinion...
Old 03-26-2004, 04:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Are you kidding? There hasn't been a more epic quest since KQ1!
I know you were being sarcastic here. However, while it's true that "saving the world" might not be a unique theme, that doesn't automatically invalidate a game or movie or book that uses it. It's a common theme, but I think for it to be presented in such a complete (some have complained "long-winded") way, with all the different characters and all that dialogue that someone obviously took much care over--well, that is a rare thing, especially in a computer game.

I thought the long monologues could've been more interesting by interspercing occassional changes of camera angles, but I still enjoyed them. And I also would have liked it if some of the plot, including the end, had been different, but I do that with any story or game or movie that has captured my imagination. I think of different scenes and new ways the plot could be "improved," but just the fact that I'm compelled enough to do that means the initial execution of the story grabbed me. Yeah, TLJ is one of the best adventure games I've ever played.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:45 PM   #20

Maxwell I didn't mean the story was that unoriginal! Although I was being sarcastic, I don't feel there are much AGs with such an epic story as TLJ. Anyhow, what it might have lacked in terms of originality, the game made up for it twice in just about any other aspect. Indeed, the way is was presented was so comprehensive. It really gave the feeling they thought of everything. And the two worlds they created were perfect for AGs; it gave you two different "types" of puzzles, the 'mechanical' puzzles and the.. well, let's call it mushroom puzzles
It's definately in my top 3 AGs, well, of recent years anyway.