You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Sherlock Holmes game will be a casual!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #1

Default New Sherlock Holmes game will be a casual!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I found out the next SH game by Frogwares was going to be an adaptation of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" But then I found out it's gonna be a casual! What a waste! This game could've been so good as an AG but as a casual? The screens I've seen so far look very ugly and very non-Sherlock Holmes. I really hope they're gonna make a real adventuregame after this and it's still a huge waste of potential making this adaptation a casual.

Anyways, maybe this is old news for you. I only just found out. Opinions?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

I've played couple of casual games recently, and even somewhat enjoyed playing MCF: Dire Grove. But generally I don't like casual games. I know that some are better than the others because of better "story" and/or graphic and music, but to me, their basic concept is, more or less, always the same, and I will always prefer classical adventures.

So, I am very dissapointed to learn that the next Frogwares SH game is going to be casual. I really don't know what motivated them to stray from their path when it comes to SH series. It seems that there is a true flood of those "casual" titles recently. I'm not familiar about the commercial success of such games, but it's clearly they are "going" these days.

BTW, I've played "The Case of Silver Earring", "Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin" and "Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper". My favourite among those three games is probably SHvsAL, though the last game also didn't dissapoint me. SH series certainly isn't among my adventure games favourites, but it will still be a shame if FW turns to casual from now on.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 01-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #3

Actually I am looking forward to this one, I hope it is as good as Sherlock Holmes and The Mystery of the Persian Carpet. This was very good title and was also a "casual" game.
But AG fans look on the bright side, they are going to make a sequel on Dracula Origin.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
Banned User

Sounds great! Still, I wish they continued their original 3d series by improving what was missing, and not ignoring them.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

They're making a new full-fledged Sherlock adventure as well, though it's not based on Hound of the Baskervilles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax
But AG fans look on the bright side, they are going to make a sequel on Dracula Origin.
Actually, this is going to be casual also. Or at least, casualish.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Banned User

Thats good to hear. I just wish they put a bit of an effort to make the game a bit less static.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
Actually I am looking forward to this one, I hope it is as good as Sherlock Holmes and The Mystery of the Persian Carpet. This was very good title and was also a "casual" game.
As much as I love the SH games I really thought Dracula Origin was a huge waste of time and money. I kept waiting for the story to unravel and to be thrilled but it just didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
They're making a new full-fledged Sherlock adventure as well, though it's not based on Hound of the Baskervilles.
That's very good to hear! You can't imagine how glad I am about that. Though I do still think it's such a waste of a fantastic story. Looking at the truly horrible casual Agatha Christie adaptations I can only cry

Last edited by gray pierce; 01-23-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
BTW, I've played "The Case of Silver Earring", "Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin" and "Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper". My favourite among those three games is probably SHvsAL, though the last game also didn't dissapoint me. SH series certainly isn't among my adventure games favourites, but it will still be a shame if FW turns to casual from now on.
im sorry sir, but sadly you're missing the BEST SH game: the awakened. get it now!!!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
im sorry sir, but sadly you're missing the BEST SH game: the awakened. get it now!!!
Thanks for advice! I admit that I am often under the influence of AdventureGamers reviews before I choose a new game to play, and according to the review of "The Awakened", this title is apparently the one where skipping it isn't such a big deal. But since I've played all other SH games from Frogwares (except of "Mystery of the Mummy" - I've tried that one aswell, but it looks horrible), I'd might give "The Awakened" a chance.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 01-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for advice! I admit that I am often under the influence of AdventureGamers reviews before I choose a new game to play, and according to the review of "The Awakened", this title is apparently the one where skipping it isn't such a big deal. But since I've played all other SH games from Frogwares (except of "Mystery of the Mummy" - I've tried that one aswell, but it looks horrible), I'd might give "The Awakened" a chance.
Please do! It's a vey good game and certainly one you can't skip! It's actually the first one to feature the same atmosphere and trademark interface and presentation as the later installments. Plus in later games especially Arsene Lupin/Nemesis there are many references made to this game wich makes (re)playing them much more fun
Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
Absolutely! That was the very game that really spoke to me as a game that had so much going for it. Jack the Ripper though was my favorite. Loved the new gameplay features. Even though, it isn't the best Ripper game, it still is a good Holmes addition.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #12

Now I'm really intrigued about "The Awakened"! I trust your judgement guys, plus I've read some comments under the official review of the game, and many said that the game is underrated. Well, I suppose I'll get it when I finish "Dark Fall: Lost Souls" which I'm currently playing. In any case, it will fill the gap while waiting for the new adventures planned for this year.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Absolutely! That was the very game that really spoke to me as a game that had so much going for it. Jack the Ripper though was my favorite. Loved the new gameplay features. Even though, it isn't the best Ripper game, it still is a good Holmes addition.
I sadly haven't played any other Ripper game so far. It came close ones but that game just looked to awful to pick up. So I'm not an expert on Ripper games but why exactly is the SH game not the best Ripper game?

BTW: Jack the Ripper's also my favorite
Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
I sadly haven't played any other Ripper game so far. It came close ones but that game just looked to awful to pick up. So I'm not an expert on Ripper games but why exactly is the SH game not the best Ripper game?

BTW: Jack the Ripper's also my favorite
There was a Ripper game back in the early 90's that pretty much had a VERY high learning curve, but offered an extremely genuine detective atmosphere. You had to focus on analyzing the the crime scenes, talk to witnesses or possible suspects, analyse their dialog, pick subject from dialog that hopefully could push you forward, and more. The game had an EXTREMELY nostalgic and serious tone, which SH almost got.

If frogwares focused on providing a more confident game, it might just beat all ripper games on all accounts.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #15

I've followed your recommendation on "Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened" and got it yesterday. I've finished the first part of the game and liked it pretty much, until I saw that "gory scene". I must say that is one of the lamest "scary" scenes I've seen in a game! But the story is captivating enough (for now), and the SH series "fun factor" is still present; especially when it comes to it's trademark interface, navigation and puzzle solving. Also, according to screenshoots I've seen, the locations seems interesting.

I've got the remastered version of the game, and it seems that it brings many improvements over the original version. For one, AdventureGamers review mentiones bland environments, it seems to me that this version fixes even that. Not to mention crashes and other issues that the original supposedly had; so far I didn't experienced a single one.

Like I've said, I'm only at the beginning of the game, but I must say that I liked the later two SH games much better, when it comes to story. But I think, if Frogwares released a remastered version of this game, it couldn't be that bad, right?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #16

Quote:
I've followed your recommendation on "Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened" and got it yesterday. I've finished the first part of the game and liked it pretty much, until I saw that "gory scene". I must say that is one of the lamest "scary" scenes I've seen in a game! But the story is captivating enough (for now), and the SH series "fun factor" is still present; especially when it comes to it's trademark interface, navigation and puzzle solving. Also, according to screenshoots I've seen, the locations seems interesting.

I've got the remastered version of the game, and it seems that it brings many improvements over the original version. For one, AdventureGamers review mentiones bland environments, it seems to me that this version fixes even that. Not to mention crashes and other issues that the original supposedly had; so far I didn't experienced a single one.

Like I've said, I'm only at the beginning of the game, but I must say that I liked the later two SH games much better, when it comes to story. But I think, if Frogwares released a remastered version of this game, it couldn't be that bad, right?
What "gory scene" do you mean ? There are many gory scenes in the game though I assume you're refering to the...
Spoiler:
corpse vs octupussy scene

Also, the improvements you mention for the remastered edition are non-existent. I've got the original version of the game and let me tell you this: the environments are anything but bland. and throughout the three times i've played this game not once did it crash ! So it's just a bad review. The only difference between the original and remastered version I know of is that in the remastered version you can toggle between first and third person while the original was completely first person.

And the story's quite good. It kept me enthralled throughout the game. It may not be prize-winning but at least it's darn original. Squaring Holmes of against Cthulu and doing in a way that feels completely natural and not even a little bit forced. I think that deserves some applause
Old 01-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #17

Quote:
What "gory scene" do you mean ? There are many gory scenes in the game though I assume you're refering to the...
Spoiler:
corpse vs octupussy scene
That's right! I hope that the following scenes are going to be more impressive. The mentioned scene looks like the designers tried so hard to make it as scary and disgusting as possible, but in the end they came short, just because of that. Also, the limitations of the graphic engine shows through in this scene, what is a pity, because the game looks great otherwise; I would say just as good as the later SH games.

Like I've said, this is my first time playing this game, so I didn't played the original version. But I believe you when you say that the review is too harsh on the game and that the original is much better than they said. But then again, if the only difference between the two games is the TPS view, I wonder why they call it "remastered version".

All in all, I'm going to continue playing it today, so we'll see...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #18

Quote:
That's right! I hope that the following scenes are going to be more impressive. The mentioned scene looks like the designers tried so hard to make it as scary and disgusting as possible, but in the end they came short, just because of that. Also, the limitations of the graphic engine shows through in this scene, what is a pity, because the game looks great otherwise; I would say just as good as the later SH games.

Like I've said, this is my first time playing this game, so I didn't played the original version. But I believe you when you say that the review is too harsh on the game and that the original is much better than they said. But then again, if the only difference between the two games is the TPS view, I wonder why they call it "remastered version".

All in all, I'm going to continue playing it today, so we'll see...
Oh ! One thing I really wanna know: Does Watson still teleport in this version ? Because that was the only thing that really annoyed me about the game. Him popping up out of the blue in your face all the time. Also do buildings get erected in a single second in this version as well ?

Huh guess I was wrong. There are actually quite a few glitches in my version just not the kind that I would call a "bug" 'cause you can still continue playing it just looks a bit weird.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Quote:
That's very good to hear! You can't imagine how glad I am about that. Though I do still think it's such a waste of a fantastic story. Looking at the truly horrible casual Agatha Christie adaptations I can only cry
I guess you're talking about Death on the Nile here as I though Orient Express and Evil Under the Sun were very nice, And then there were none, less so but still serviceable.

And you're all wrong, in my humble opinion anyway, the best Sherlock Holmes game was EA's The Case of the Rose Tattoo, followed by the now dated looking Serratted Scalpel. Both games are dated, but hopefully someone like GOG will pick them up, plus both games were quite long.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
I guess you're talking about Death on the Nile here as I though Orient Express and Evil Under the Sun were very nice, And then there were none, less so but still serviceable.

And you're all wrong, in my humble opinion anyway, the best Sherlock Holmes game was EA's The Case of the Rose Tattoo, followed by the now dated looking Serratted Scalpel. Both games are dated, but hopefully someone like GOG will pick them up, plus both games were quite long.
Death on the Nile, Perril at End House and worst of all Deadman's Folly. My favorite novel for god's sake ! I hate these guys ! It would've made such a fantastic AG.

Anyway I haven't played Murder on the Orient Express since you couldn't play as Poirot wich was a bummer for me and I haven't played And The There Were None either since after reading the novel and the graphic novel and seeing the movie and the play I felt there was little more the game could add for me. But I really liked Evil Under the Sun.

And I have to say to my utter shame that I haven't played any of the older SH games. For the simple fact that I can't find them anywhere