You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Looking for a game like Drawn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #1

Default Looking for a game like Drawn

Hi there,

It's a friends birthday pretty soon and I'm looking for a suitable present. She's into AGs a bit but hasn't played many so I decided that might do the trick. She absolutely adored Drawn so I was looking for something like it. From what I've seen of it(wich is not a lot) it kinda reminded me of Zork: Nemesis but she's not into all that dark stuff.
So, any suggestions?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #2

Hmmm... well, Drawn is pretty unique in terms of art style, but I thought Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove was also very good. The tone and general atmosphere pulls you in, just like Drawn does. It's also from the same developer.

Tales of Monkey Island is also a gem, depending on whether or not she likes humor in her games (Drawn is rather serious in its story and presentation).
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Hopeful skeptic

Does it have to be a boxed game? If not, I'd suggest Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse. More blatant "hidden object" sequences, but many similarities to Drawn, and a very nice little game.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
Hmmm... well, Drawn is pretty unique in terms of art style, but I thought Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove was also very good. The tone and general atmosphere pulls you in, just like Drawn does. It's also from the same developer.

Tales of Monkey Island is also a gem, depending on whether or not she likes humor in her games (Drawn is rather serious in its story and presentation).
I suggested Mystery Case Files before but she took one look at it and decided it was way to dark for her taste. I also sugested ToMI but she wasn't interested as she (don't faint here) Disliked Curse of Monkey Island!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Does it have to be a boxed game? If not, I'd suggest Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse. More blatant "hidden object" sequences, but many similarities to Drawn, and a very nice little game.
How much more "hidden object" is it? Because I think she's pretty much finished with the real HOG games. Finding no joy in playing the latest Samantha Swift. Instead she really loves solving mini games. Sliders and stuff. The kind of puzzles I hate.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

Less than Samantha Swift, but if she's sick of them, probably more than she'd prefer.

If it's mostly puzzles/minigames she's after, the Azada games are very good bets. Enlightenus is another. The Nancy Drew Dossier games are also good (they're called HOGS, but they're not). Those are all "casual" game suggestions.

She'd probably like Keepsake, a PC adventure released a couple years back. She'd probably like the Professor Layton games as well. Has she got a DS?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Less than Samantha Swift, but if she's sick of them, probably more than she'd prefer.

If it's mostly puzzles/minigames she's after, the Azada games are very good bets. Enlightenus is another. The Nancy Drew Dossier games are also good (they're called HOGS, but they're not). Those are all "casual" game suggestions.

She'd probably like Keepsake, a PC adventure released a couple years back. She'd probably like the Professor Layton games as well. Has she got a DS?
Well I guess less the Samantha Swift is good and she's not exactly sich of them. Enlightenus is a name I've heard mentioned a couple of times before so will check that out. Don't think she's a Nancy Drew fan.

Will surely check out Keepsake. Saw it a couple of years ago on the TAC website, was brand new then. Just never took much interest in it since I don't like fantasy games. TLJ and Dreamfall being the MAJOR exceptions. And no she doesn't have a DS. No consoles whatsoever by the way.

Also it has to be completely non-violent. She never finished BS3 'cause she couldn't overcome the split-second sequences wich in my opinion were not that hard.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

The Fall Trilogy is pretty close to what you want.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2032
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #8

I would suggest the Dream Chronicle series. But you could also look at Mortimer Becket or Escape the Museum.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Part-time Optimist

I agree with te Dream Chronicles. I've played all of these and they are quite a bit like Drawn in game play and even lighter in subject.

Playing Now: Shadow of Destiny
Recently Finished: Emerald City Confidential,Dead Reefs
Old 01-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillseeker View Post
The Fall Trilogy is pretty close to what you want.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2032
Yes indeed it is! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
I would suggest the Dream Chronicle series. But you could also look at Mortimer Becket or Escape the Museum.
Will surely check out Dream Chronicles. Don't think she'll MB to much. Having played that game myself and don't think she'll be escaping any musea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banderwocky View Post
I agree with te Dream Chronicles. I've played all of these and they are quite a bit like Drawn in game play and even lighter in subject.
See the above

Thanks guys for all the great recommendations! Will surely find something apropriate now
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
i suggested mystery case files before but she took one look at it and decided it was way to dark for her taste. I also sugested tomi but she wasn't interested as she (don't faint here) disliked curse of monkey island!
*gasp!*

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
*gasp!*
You still alive? At least you didn't faint or get a near fatal heart attack like I did when I heard it.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #13

*laughs* Well, to each his own. Anyone has the right to dislike that game after all, even though I think it's a totally superb classic. You know, it all depends on what kind of puzzle design and storyline one likes.

Please, let us know what you decide to get for her, and if it ends up pleasing her or not. I'm just curious.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #14

What about Return to Ravenhearst? It's a nice HO game.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
*laughs* Well, to each his own. Anyone has the right to dislike that game after all, even though I think it's a totally superb classic. You know, it all depends on what kind of puzzle design and storyline one likes.

Please, let us know what you decide to get for her, and if it ends up pleasing her or not. I'm just curious.
Will do, as to CoMI: Of course you're right. What she told me was that she disliked that there were so many items to click on without all of them being useful. I think they are useful in a way as you get a funny reply from just about all of them so they're useful in the way of making me laugh. Anyways she didn't share this opinion. And as we are bitching about a brilliant classic let me add my two cents: I thaught chapter 5 was pretty boring except for the Murray dialogue and chapter 6 was great but way to short and so was the final cutscene that ran for what 20 seconds? Still love it though. The first 4 chapters were just perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
What about Return to Ravenhearst? It's a nice HO game.
I have allready said that she found the Mystery Case Files series to be to dark for her taste. Unless you're refering to another game that shares a similar title?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #16

Quote:
I have allready said that she found the Mystery Case Files series to be to dark for her taste. Unless you're refering to another game that shares a similar title?
Sorry, didn't know that Ravenhearst was a part of Mystery Case Files.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohlin View Post
Sorry, didn't know that Ravenhearst was a part of Mystery Case Files.
Could also be that I'm wrong. We are talking about the spooky mansion game here right?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Could also be that I'm wrong. We are talking about the spooky mansion game here right?
Yes, that's it.
You are quite right, it is a Mystery Case File game. It's just me that does not keep track of producers, creators, publishing companies, series and things like that. I read a review, buy and play.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Myst-loving person

Quote:
From what I've seen of it(wich is not a lot) it kinda reminded me of Zork: Nemesis but she's not into all that dark stuff.
What about a different Zork title? Nemesis is pretty dark, but it's the exception, not the general tone of the series.

In some ways, Drawn (which I really liked too) reminded me of Zork: Grand Inquisitor. Z:GI has some things in common with Nemesis but it's much more lighthearted and quirky. It's longer and a bit more complicated than Drawn, but it's certainly not stressful gaming at all.

So yeah, my immediate thought would be Grand Inquisitor. It's an older title, but it doesn't seem very difficult to find.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annacat View Post
What about a different Zork title? Nemesis is pretty dark, but it's the exception, not the general tone of the series.

In some ways, Drawn (which I really liked too) reminded me of Zork: Grand Inquisitor. Z:GI has some things in common with Nemesis but it's much more lighthearted and quirky. It's longer and a bit more complicated than Drawn, but it's certainly not stressful gaming at all.

So yeah, my immediate thought would be Grand Inquisitor. It's an older title, but it doesn't seem very difficult to find.
I just looked into it. That really looks like something she might enjoy. Thanks! If I get it for her I'll probably nick it to play myself later since I've played Nemesis and really enjoyed it. Wich is very rare since I don't like fantasy/horror games nor mystlike puzzles. Anyways, thanks again for this great recommendation