You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Will Gabriel Knight 4 or Outcast 2 ever happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
Life and times of...

Default GK4 (and Outcast 2)?

I've just been wondering, and haven't got a clear answer to anything. Are there any possibilities of Gabriel Knight 4 coming out? (I know, that Jane Jensen has said, that she'd gladly make the fourth part, and would know what it was about). Also, I was wondering about Otcast 2... It was abandoned (if that's a good word), but I'm also wondering about that, 'cause nobody answered well to the future of that sequel, I mean that is it forgotten forever, or...? (the first part was just unbelievable, with at that time, amazing graphics, especially for the water, wich actually is still good looking, If they don't make a sequel, it just sucks).
Well, the post ended up a little longer than I anticipated... But anyways, does anybody have any idea?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

I don't know much about Outcast 2 other than that there was a sequel planned, but it got cancelled. Whether or not it will be picked up in the future I have no idea.

As for GK4, it's highly unlikely. Sierra just isn't the same company it was ten or even five years ago. The part of the company that made all of their adventure games is gone, and they've shown no interest in going back to adventure games. It's also extremely unlikely that they would give up to rights to let Jensen work on it with another company. The only way we would ever see a GK4 is the possibility that Jensen mentioned quite some time ago of writing it as a novel. Even that wouldn't be released for some time, though. First would come the novelization of GK3, and she's also working on a new adventure game for The Adventure Company right now. So at this point Project Jane-J shows a lot more promise than any GK sequel.

mag
Old 03-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I don't know much about Outcast 2 other than that there was a sequel planned, but it got cancelled. Whether or not it will be picked up in the future I have no idea.
I would say that the chance for that to happen is more or less zero. The developer, Appeal, was closed down by Infogrames (todays Atari) when they were working on Outcast 2. Can't really remember why they did that though. Maybe the project eat too much money or something, don't remember.
Anyway, I would also like to see a sequel to Outcast, because it's one of my favorite games of all time. But as I said, the chances are slim.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
I would say that the chance for that to happen is more or less zero. The developer, Appeal, was closed down by Infogrames (todays Atari) when they were working on Outcast 2. Can't really remember why they did that though. Maybe the project eat too much money or something, don't remember....
Actually they've stopped developement of Outcast2 way before closure. I remember them stating on their website, that project was on hold, because company wanted to pursue some other business oportunity. After that most of the key players left Appeal including the founder, who's now in charge of a new game developing company. He said he would love to do the Outcast 2, but future doesn't look bright.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #5

Outcast 2 was cancelled because the developers got fed up with the publisher trying to turn it into an arcade game.

That's the short version. The thread discussing the details was lost in the old forum. This is where most of the Appeal team went:

http://www.elsewhere-entertainment.com/
Old 03-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #6
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

It's really sad to see how games end up being property of publisher and not the developer.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Outcast 2 was cancelled because the developers got fed up with the publisher trying to turn it into an arcade game.
You're right. Didn't really remember that, and I'm too lazy to look it up.
It makes me sad to this day that Outcast 2 got cancelled. I remember those gorgeous screens that had been released back when it was still in production.
Gotta see if a find them anywhere...
Old 03-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
It's really sad to see how games end up being property of publisher and not the developer.
My thoughts exactly.

A great Outcast 2 fansite still seems to be around though.

Here are some screens from the PS2 version
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big1.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big2.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big3.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big5.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big6.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big7.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big8.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...cast2_big9.jpg
http://outcast-2.gamesurf.tiscali.de...ast2_big13.jpg

Okay, maybe I'm not that lazy after all. But they are gorgeous...
Old 03-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #9

Jane Jensen pitched Gabriel Knight 4 to Sierra in 2002 but they didn't want to make it. She's told us that the storyline for the fourth game would have involved a creepy haunting and that we might see the storyline used in another project if she can't make another GK game. Project Jane-J is the next best thing to a GK game though.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #10
How am I not myself?

Well there is a game called Project Jane Jensen thats comming out but I'm not sure what the game is, obviously thats just the code name, it might be Gabriel Knight 4.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:02 AM   #11
Life and times of...

Project Jane-J is not GK4, that's for sure (almost sure). I read at her homepage, that it does involve a man and a woman, but the man is a neurobiologist or something, and the woman a magician... (And oh! I didn't even realize, that SerialFreek (if I remember correctly) allready made a post, where he (or she, don't know which) gathered a whole lot of info about it... Goin' well )
As for Outcast 2, how sad. I do remember reading about them turning it into more arcade (wich probably would have ruined some of the game), but there was nothing said about anybody quitting because of that... I didn't even know about it being cancelled for a long time, about this christmas I started looking for news of the development, and ran by the news... Those screenshots were just amazing, by the way (as someone did mention)

Last edited by UPtimist; 03-24-2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:04 AM   #12
Life and times of...

Oh, that someone posted screenshots too... How did I miss that?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #13
Doctor Watson

GK4 has already been made. See here: http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=1595
Old 03-24-2004, 06:59 AM   #14
Life and times of...

Oh, I've never seen that post, well thanks Deadworm!
I just wonder why I've never seen the actual game anywhere... or news about it. Hmmmmm.....
Old 03-24-2004, 07:00 AM   #15

Oh man...Outcast 2 ! * sigh*

I finally finished the darn game a couple of days ago, and it was sad to see most of the mysteries not get solved; the big daoka in Okaar for one. Perhaps they intended to include some of them in the sequel.

Damn.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:26 AM   #16
Life and times of...

I'd like to play the game through again, 'cause the first time I played, I had a pause of like 6 months or possibly even a year, before I played the game through (I paused, as I entered the last place, the jungle plane, don't remember the name, though), and some of the plot was totally shady to me... It's just hard to play again, because the graphics are a bit "blocky" (I know it shouldn't matter, when it's about a really good game (of wich I have so, so, so fond memories (now is fond a proper word?), but it does!), well the water is still quite good looking, I believe (I did check it out sometime back)...
But maybe I should just make it through... Can you make the graphics better somehow?

EDIT: Hey! just played, and you know what? It wasn't that bad. It's actually very playable. And as I said, the water was just amazing

Last edited by UPtimist; 03-24-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:26 AM   #17

I think the developers probably wanted to, but it probably wouldn't have happened had it been made. Can you believe there wasn't going to be any character from the original game in the sequel apart from Cutter???

Publisher

I'm almost glad it didn't get made in the end. It would've probably ruined the memory of the original. At least Elsewhere is going to be able to develop new and original titles true to the spirit of Outcast now...
Old 03-24-2004, 07:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
So it was on the new forum! I couldn't remember for sure and when I did a search I couldn't find it. Oh well... that thread explains what happened, basically.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist
(And oh! I didn't even realize, that SerialFreek (if I remember correctly) allready made a post, where he (or she, don't know which) gathered a whole lot of info about it... Goin' well )
You're right.

It would be cool to get a GK4, but since it's not going to happen anytime soon it's cool that we're getting Project Jane-J and a whole new series by Jane Jensen.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:57 AM   #20

Default Outcast 2 ...

hi guys
I know OC2 was canceled some time ago so some guys and me started to work on a project called "Open Outcast"
We're at the beginning more or less but we hope to provide some first ingame Shots soon

here's out HP: http://ocmod.sourceforge.net

and here some Talan Mesh