You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Monkey Island 4 - Meathook's Place

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 12:52 AM   #1
Mad Rabbit

Default Monkey Island 4 - Meathook's Place

This isn't really a hint request. I'm just confused about something here.

I started this game a few weeks ago, but quit before I made any progress because I wanted to play the other Monkey Island games first. The only thing I did in the game was talk to all of the characters on Melee Island, including Meathook.

I just started the game again, and no matter what I try, Meathook won't let me in. What's even more confusing is that he told me to come back after I finished running errands for my wife. He didn't believe that I was Guybrush, and I never told him I was running errands, so how did he know that?

I'm tempted to start all over, because I've just landed on Lucre Island and I feel like I missed something by not getting into Meathook's place before I left.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:00 AM   #2
Doctor Watson

You can't get into Meathook's place untill you get back from Lucre, I believe. And that whole "Run errands for your wife" thing was a meant-to-be-a-joke-hint from the developers.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:20 AM   #3
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
You can't get into Meathook's place untill you get back from Lucre...
How did I manage to get in there the last time I played? Since I'll get another chance to talk to him, I suppose there's no reason to restart.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:46 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
How did I manage to get in there the last time I played? Since I'll get another chance to talk to him, I suppose there's no reason to restart.

Thanks.
I kind of dread to ask but...how long have you actually been playing adventure games for?
Old 03-28-2004, 03:51 AM   #5
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
I kind of dread to ask but...how long have you actually been playing adventure games for?
Why do you ask? Is my inexperience obvious here?

Escape From Monkey Island will be the 8th adventure game I've played.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Why do you ask? Is my inexperience obvious here?

Escape From Monkey Island will be the 8th adventure game I've played.
Well let's just say that LEC puts in *ALOT* of 'insider' jokes in their games, like constantly remembering you you're playing an adventure game. So having ever played any LEC or MI game, you should know this

Guybrush: "Do you have any of those 10+ stength elixers?"
Voodoo lady: "I don't know, what's your current stats?"
Guybrush: "Erhmm.. I don't think I have any.."
Voodoo lady: "Then what's the point in having a strengt elixer?"

Developers will put in these kind of jokes often when you're trying to 'nag' your way into something, like you do with meathook's place ("I'm Guyrbrush Threepwood", "Real Estate", "I thought there was supposed to be a wax show today", etc). I don't understand how you possibly got in, in the first chapter? My only explanation is that you once accidentaly loaded a previous savegame, one after you return to melee island, but you thought you were playing the first chapter, and therefore went about asking everybody (inc. meathook) everything all over again.

Also, it's highly unlikely that you will 'miss' something in an adventure game, especially MI. The developers will try to take you through as much of the gameworld and dialogue as possible, so there's little chance that you'll end up either missing something completely or being stuck. Remember there is stuff at meathook's place you'll need? Well since you pretty much can't get stuck in an AG ('cept for TLJ maybe), you can be certain you will travel through there at one point in the game.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:07 AM   #7
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Also, it's highly unlikely that you will 'miss' something in an adventure game, especially MI. The developers will try to take you through as much of the gameworld and dialogue as possible, so there's little chance that you'll end up either missing something completely or being stuck. Remember there is stuff at meathook's place you'll need? Well since you pretty much can't get stuck in an AG ('cept for TLJ maybe), you can be certain you will travel through there at one point in the game.
Yep, what he said. Lucasarts games tend to be really well designed, so it's very unlikely you'll ever get to the point where you have to start over. Any adventure game that does have these "dead ends" is best left alone. Jack Orlando: Directors Cut is notorious for dead ends and bad design, which is why it's about the only adventure game I never played through to the end.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Any adventure game that does have these "dead ends" is best left alone.
I agree, but obviously some people are okay with that. A certain adventure game site recently gave Leisure Suit Larry 2 a rave review, despite that game's design completely revolving around dead ends.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #9
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
I don't understand how you possibly got in, in the first chapter? My only explanation is that you once accidentaly loaded a previous savegame, one after you return to melee island, but you thought you were playing the first chapter, and therefore went about asking everybody (inc. meathook) everything all over again.
You're probably right. I was playing around with some savegames a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Well let's just say that LEC puts in *ALOT* of 'insider' jokes in their games, like constantly remembering you you're playing an adventure game. So having ever played any LEC or MI game, you should know this.
Yeah. My favorite so far:

Pick up Voodoo Mask
Guybrush: Nah, I can never install the drivers on those things.

Quote:
Any adventure game that does have these "dead ends" is best left alone. Jack Orlando: Directors Cut is notorious for dead ends and bad design, which is why it's about the only adventure game I never played through to the end.
That's a shame. I have Director's Cut and was looking forward to playing it.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:35 AM   #10
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
That's a shame. I have Director's Cut and was looking forward to playing it.
You might not find it too bad, just make sure you go to the games homepage and look up about how you avoid one particularly nasty dead end before you start the game. There may be more than one dead end, it's not a particularly well designed game.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:34 PM   #11
Escaped Monkey Island

Quote:
Well since you pretty much can't get stuck in an AG ('cept for TLJ maybe),
How would you get stuck in TLJ??? Apart from...

Spoiler:
April literally getting stuck trying to walk pass that adrian guy in the space station.