You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure PlayStation 3 Gamers That Love Adventure Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
rebmeM roinuJ

Location: Purple Armchair, Hoveton, England, United Kingdom, Earth-2
Default PlayStation 3 Gamers That Love Adventure Games

I'm one of them but the only games on the horizon for the console are Heavy Rain and Blue Toad Murder Files.

I think Telltale Games are apparently interested in developing their S&M, ToMI etc for PSN.

We've yet to hear anything from LucasArts regarding the possibility of a PS3/PSN edition of SoMI: SE.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

I'm also one, but unfortunately the genre isn't mainstream enough and the console wars seem to concentrate on their first persons, their sports, their whatever is popular at the moment (with the exception of the Wii that seems to really be encouraging ports of various adventure titles). With the release of Farenheit the genre gained a little more attention on consoles and I think (apart from Heavy Rain's amazing visuals) is a contributing factor to why Heavy Rain is getting the attention it is. Who knows what might start happening if it takes off - Microsoft and Sony may perk their ears up a little more to the genre and then you may start seeing more adventure ports to consoles. Though putting on my negative hat, most people are just interested in the visuals and won't care much for anything adventure outside of it's release .

My personal opinion though is that the genre just doesn't really work on consoles. The old days of PSX adventuring was fun, sure, and the Wii handled Broken Sword well with the remote. But scanning across the screen with the cursor on a controller gets old quick compared to a mouse or the DS touch screen - probably the only console in my opinion that ports adventures well.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 12-01-2009, 03:07 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to cristane

I would hate to pixel-hunt on a huge LCD screen with the PS3 controller. That's just not right. Adventure games are for PCs, and I don't think that will change.
However, I will support & buy any action/adventure game that will come on the PS3. Heavy Rain is my most anticipated game for 2010. Also, can't wait to see what Telltale does with porting their franchises.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #4

Perhaps 2D point-n-click adventures might not work too well on consoles. Full 3D with direct control adventure games would fit right in. If anyone bothered to make them.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

Im also a PS3 gamer who enjoys adventure games so I would support any game that came out from this genre. And like Beacon said, 3D direct control adventure games (with top notch graphics) could have a place in the PS3 community I just dont think traditional 2d point clicks would have a place. Just take for instance the new Gameinformer top 200 games of all time. Their really is no traditional 2d point and click adventure games really on that list at all so that just gives you a clue where the mainstream is at. The top 200 list has plenty of nostalgia too for games like Legend of Zelda and super mario brothers but games like monkey island are nowhere to be seen. Atleast they included Deus Ex and Beyond Good and Evil.

edit-actually they did include King's Quest VI and Day of the Tentacle at the end of the list...so what do I know.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #6

I am also a hardcore Playstation gamer who still has a vast love of adventure games. I dabble in games journalism you see (have my own small site), but alongside Call of Duty and Uncharted I always make sure to include adventure game coverage as well, such as Monkey Island. In fact, my site's stats always spike when a Monkey Island interview/ review goes up. I think adventure is still alive, I just think on the PS3 Heavy Rain is how it could work on the PS3 with a gamepad. I don't care really if people say the genre is dead. It will never be to me! It really annoys me how the mainstream press now seem to shunt the genre really hard.

Also, look at these forums. Really friendly! The PS3 forums are a whole different beast. I think the adventure community all love being a part of something cult and niche.

For the pc experience on a console (adventure-wise) I intend to try out my new Wii. Broken Sword Directors Cut should be very interesting on my TV rather than a PC screen, and with a Wiimote instead of a mouse!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #7

So our choices are tired franchises and murder mysteries... I would like to see this one hit the PSN and make some money for the developers: http://www.zombie-cow.com/?page_id=559
Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBandits123 View Post
Just take for instance the new Gameinformer top 200 games of all time. Their really is no traditional 2d point and click adventure games really on that list at all so that just gives you a clue where the mainstream is at.
Not really, it's just personal debate in their office. Look at some of the crap that's in that list, seriously. I've read plenty of other lists from plenty of other online sites or magazines that put adventure classics in a different light

One for example is (I believe) an Australian gaming magazine called 'Hyper' that put Monkey Island and Last Express amongst others in the top 30 or so of all time games. Personal preference and, well, experience too. Chances are the all-knowing greatness of the people at Gameinformer haven't even given many adventure games a try. Just as morons will tell you the top films of all time consist of Michael Bay films, someone with a longer reaching taste in film will exclude him completely.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
One for example is (I believe) an Australian gaming magazine called 'Hyper' that put Monkey Island and Last Express amongst others in the top 30 or so of all time games. Personal preference and, well, experience too. Chances are the all-knowing greatness of the people at Gameinformer haven't even given many adventure games a try. Just as morons will tell you the top films of all time consist of Michael Bay films, someone with a longer reaching taste in film will exclude him completely.
That's interesting that Hyper did that because when I was buying those mags at the start of the 00's - Hyper and PC Powerplay wanted nothing to do with older titles and focused on your Deus Ex and Quake III esque games. I succinctly remember reading that PC Powerplay would only pick, for their top games, titles that are available in stores so you effectively had fifteen years of gaming being neglected in favour for the handful of games you find at EB.

Thank you retro revival.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus82 View Post
I'm one of them but the only games on the horizon for the console are Heavy Rain and Blue Toad Murder Files.

I think Telltale Games are apparently interested in developing their S&M, ToMI etc for PSN.

We've yet to hear anything from LucasArts regarding the possibility of a PS3/PSN edition of SoMI: SE.
I think many adv-developers are interested in bring the games to 7th gen consoles. But they face few problems i.e.

1. Number of adventure gamers is far lesser then conventional gamers. Almost everyone has PC but not XBOX 360, PS3 or WII. Thus the profit will be very little.

2. Game Play: How to bring point-&-click element to console games without mouse? Without point-&-click adventure-game fans become disappointed. Point-&-Click without mouse will irritate the fans. Broken Sword(1) was an amazing game on PS(1) but the point-&-click with joy pads was simply the most irritating thing.

3. Issue of 2D/2.5D vs 3D graphics. 3D adv games with no mouse point-&-click are labeled as "not an adventure game" by many fans.

Having said all of the above there is another game which has been in development since ages: The City of Metronome. Its being developed for 7th gen console(s). Can't say if PS3 will have it or ditch it.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
That's interesting that Hyper did that because when I was buying those mags at the start of the 00's - Hyper and PC Powerplay wanted nothing to do with older titles and focused on your Deus Ex and Quake III esque games.
Yeah that's still pretty much the case, but really just making the point that those lists don't really mean much at the end of the day. I was just as surprised as you when I read that issue - other titles that I think made their list included Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
J.H
Frak.

I love console games like MGS, Final Fantasy etc but also love point and click adventures, however I wouldn't want to play console games on the pc or adventure games on a console tbh.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #13
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapoco View Post
I love console games like MGS, Final Fantasy etc but also love point and click adventures, however I wouldn't want to play console games on the pc or adventure games on a console tbh.
Agree. The controls on a console are not Adventure Game friendly. Take Broken Sword 3 for example, due to simultaneous release on PC and PS2 they messed up the control scheme on the PC just to fit it with the console! (personal opinion of course and in fact I own and have played both versions).
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 AM   #14
J.H
Frak.

Yeah that was a complete nightmare.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #15

I think the problem here is how we insist on defining adventure games. I love them, but really, the point and click interface and absurdly obtuse puzzles are archaic forms of the genre.

I'm hoping Heavy Rain, with its emphasis on narrative flow, will start showing people what true next gen adventure games can be. If it's as good as I think it'll be maybe it will show people how good this genre can be.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrider View Post
I think the problem here is how we insist on defining adventure games. I love them, but really, the point and click interface and absurdly obtuse puzzles are archaic forms of the genre.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it archaic, I for one still prefer it to other games that attempt (and in my opinion usually fail) to make new movements in the genre. Such as Farenheit. Look at Machinarium, arguably one of the best adventures of the year. It's still point and click with some "obtuse" puzzles, but the ingenuity comes in the character and use of dialogue. Speaking of Farenheit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrider View Post
I'm hoping Heavy Rain, with its emphasis on narrative flow, will start showing people what true next gen adventure games can be. If it's as good as I think it'll be maybe it will show people how good this genre can be.
You may be right, but only if it doesn't have the 'narrative flow' of its predecessor