You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gamespot has a playable Flash demo of the new Ace Attorney game!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #1

Default Gamespot has a playable Flash demo of the new Ace Attorney game!

And by a new AA game, I mean a spin-off that will hopefully rejuvenate the franchise: Ace Attorney Investigations - Miles Edgeworth!

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6239686.html?tag=topslot;thumb;5

So, what are your thoughts? (My Internet has reached its bandwidth and I won't be able to play this normally until the 10th ) I really enjoyed the first two Attorney games - I only bought a DS so I could them those two titles but have gone to think of it as the best gaming device of this gen. I thought the third was highly original and am not completely won over by Apollo Justice but have high hopes for this title. Miles seems to be a fan favourite and it should it interesting working to send people to prison.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #2

Yeah it does look quite good, but rejuvenate the series? I wouldn't say it will, nor does it need to. I think Apollo was still quite popular, and although Edgeworth's foray into the spotlight will be fun, I don't think it will compare to the originals.

I still think Apollo has a ways to go yet in his spotlight, and I have great hope in his next venture back in court Though I wish they'd release some actual details on it beyond 'we are making it'. Maybe after the Edgeworth title is out..?

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #3

Hm, I never played one of these games before, nor do I own a DS. But so far, I find the typing sounds annoying and the dialogue not entertaining enough to find its mass acceptable.
But the background music is good, as are the graphics, though there's barely any animation...

Edit: And what's up with the screen shaking and the beating sounds? Irritating....
....but after finishing the first investigation, I have to say it is kinda fun.

Last edited by ozzie; 12-04-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Hm, I never played one of these games before, nor do I own a DS. But so far, I find the typing sounds annoying.
I agree with this point... It'd be better if they dropped the typing - all too often I'm tapping the stylus in an attempt to speed it up. It doesn't work. And the shaking is great! It fits in with the world and it's such a Capcom thing to do - they took elements of their 2D fighting games and applied to the adventure genre. "Objection" is just another way of saying "Hadouken!"
Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #5

Big fan of the series, but I'd rather stay clear of this demo and just play the full game when it releases. I already know I'm going to like it

This game interests me more than Apollo Justice, mainly because of the new 3rd person view and gameplay mechanics, but also because I like Edgeworth and Gumshoe.

I've been playing Apollo Justice on and off for a while now and I'm just not digging it like I did the Phoenix Wright games. After 3 games I'm simply tired of the same ol' structure and court battles, despite the enhanced gameplay. I know a change of cast sounds like a good idea after 3 outings, but that's why I play the Ace Attorney games, the characters. The new cast just isn't as endearing.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I've been playing Apollo Justice on and off for a while now and I'm just not digging it like I did the Phoenix Wright games. After 3 games I'm simply tired of the same ol' structure and court battles, despite the enhanced gameplay. I know a change of cast sounds like a good idea after 3 outings, but that's why I play the Ace Attorney games, the characters. The new cast just isn't as endearing.
Ah no way! The Trucy/Apollo team are two great characters, especially Trucy. I find her way more endearing than Mia (not to put her down, she is great too). That first case in Apollo, the card game match with characters like Olga the 'waitress' and laid-back Phoenix was one of my favourite in the series. I would've liked to see the 3D room thing from that case used again too.

Ah well, to each his own I suppose. I really would like to see an epic case like that of case 5 in the first Phoenix Wright DS game. The use of security camera footage was one of the most enjoyable pieces of evidence I've worked with.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
but after finishing the first investigation, I have to say it is kinda fun.
I can recall those things being somewhat of an irritation to me first, but once this game grows on you, you can't help but fall in love with the whole package. Every time I step back in that court room and the music kicks in I can't help but get excited. And in the harder cases when you really struggle against the testimonies, there are some great and triumphant 'aha!' moments to be had.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Ah no way! The Trucy/Apollo team are two great characters, especially Trucy. I find her way more endearing than Mia (not to put her down, she is great too). That first case in Apollo, the card game match with characters like Olga the 'waitress' and laid-back Phoenix was one of my favourite in the series. I would've liked to see the 3D room thing from that case used again too.

Ah well, to each his own I suppose. I really would like to see an epic case like that of case 5 in the first Phoenix Wright DS game. The use of security camera footage was one of the most enjoyable pieces of evidence I've worked with.
I think it's more the structure and the gameplay than the cast. I'm sure that with time, I'll grow to love the new characters, too, but the same old investigate > court room > investigate > court room x50 is making it hard for me. It's just not that fun anymore. That's why I'm glad they're changing it up with Edgeworth's game.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I think it's more the structure and the gameplay than the cast. I'm sure that with time, I'll grow to love the new characters, too, but the same old investigate > court room > investigate > court room x50 is making it hard for me. It's just not that fun anymore. That's why I'm glad they're changing it up with Edgeworth's game.
I still love the court room

I think the exploration side of it is getting a little tiring - or at least when they have you running back and forth just to uncover little bits of dialogue at a time (which often seems unnecessary and somewhat time wasting). But the court rooms - nothing will ever replace that perfect moment of objection! Those court room moments make Phoenix Wright.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

I do agree with points about lengthy investigation scenes. The more complex those levels become the more likely they end up committing adventure game faux pas like pixel hunting and being unable to access area A until you have visited area B.

It should be kept has closely as possible to finding contradictions in the testimony and examining evidence while puzzles like giving Old Bag an autographed Steel Samurai poster in return for testimony should be dropped because they get in the way of that fantasy of being involved in a criminal investigation. (And in real life you'd have Old Bag taken in by Gumshoe for withholding information, lol)

Of course, I also love the drama amongst the characters - will Edgeworth finally get the better of Pheonix Wright in this game and restore his reputation?